Notices

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Oh yes Counter-Strike on N900 here I come! hahaha I know it's not possible, but one can dream right?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I know that it ran on WINE long ago. Since it's rather lightweight and cleanly coded, maybe it will run on WINE on a Tablet/N900.
The source code is included for that $10? If so, an attempt could be made to compile it against winelib. If not, then the announcement made at the start of this thread has moved Ecco Pro no closer to running on Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
How is this being done, I know he is doing ssh first but how does all that hang together ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfnibPiFDsk

X forwarding, theres a page in the wiki on doing in reverse (phone to desktop screen)

The Following User Says Thank You to ear0wax For This Useful Post:
That video is super neat, Wine on the N900 at it's best.

Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
How is this being done, I know he is doing ssh first but how does all that hang together ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfnibPiFDsk

On this video wine is not running on the N900 but on linux PC with the N900 logged in via openssh and opening photoshop on wine.
Then the X forwarding feature of openssh is used to send keyboard/mouse events from N900 to the PC and screen events from PC to N900. So in this video, the N900 only act like a dedicated screen/keyboard/mouse for photoshop.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The source code is included for that $10? If so, an attempt could be made to compile it against winelib. If not, then the announcement made at the start of this thread has moved Ecco Pro no closer to running on Maemo.
No, the source code is NOT included (much to many people's chagrin). I thought since it can run under WINE on desktop Linux, e.g., Ubuntu, it could likely run under WINE on a tablet. I'm wrong?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
No, the source code is NOT included (much to many people's chagrin). I thought since it can run under WINE on desktop Linux, e.g., Ubuntu, it could likely run under WINE on a tablet. I'm wrong?
The problem here being that the processor on a desktop PC and the processor in the n900 are different architectures. Desktop PCs and laptops use x86 (and x86_64 for 64-bit) processors while the n900 (along with most other phones) uses an ARM processor. You can't take a program that has been compiled for one architecture and run it on another, it just won't work, you can only run it using an emulator and an emulator takes a lot of processing power to just to emulate a much slower processor.

WINE for desktop Linux just needs to pretend to be Windows to get a program to run, it doesn't need to emulate a different processor. WINE for ARM would need to emulate an x86 processor as well as pretending to be Windows if it were to run a regular Windows program.

What WINE for ARM provides is a easy way to port programs written for Windows to Linux-based ARM devices using winelib, but you need the source code so you can recompile the program to run on an ARM processor.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Saw an updated message on Onion's blog:

Update 15.10.2010:
Using desktop mode makes using wine much nicer and keyboard input works too. Running winecfg is a bit problematic as it won't fit the screen properly but editing ~/.wine/user.reg and adding the following lines in the end enables desktop mode:

[Software\\Wine\\Explorer] 1287126526
"Desktop"="Default"

[Software\\Wine\\Explorer\\Desktops] 1287126530
"Default"="800x480"

The Following User Says Thank You to mail_e36 For This Useful Post:
The desktop (read below) makes Wine on the N900 look superb, even as a proof-of-concept.

Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
Saw an updated message on Onion's blog:

Update 15.10.2010:
Using desktop mode makes using wine much nicer and keyboard input works too. Running winecfg is a bit problematic as it won't fit the screen properly but editing ~/.wine/user.reg and adding the following lines in the end enables desktop mode:

[Software\\Wine\\Explorer] 1287126526
"Desktop"="Default"

[Software\\Wine\\Explorer\\Desktops] 1287126530
"Default"="800x480"