Posts: 76 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted by tpaixao View Post
yeah, I get the same, It used to be there but it's not anymore. I can't change to sidekick anymore...
I was out of the USA for a week and had switched from the sidekick plan. When I came back (Sept. 15), I went to my.t-mobile and the sidekick option was gone. Now there are only two prepaid plans.

I ordered a sim from Simple Mobile and will try the $50 per month option (voice, text and 100mb of data). So much for t-mobile in the US.

When I was in England (London), I went to a nearby t-mobile store. The sim was free and for 10 pounds (~$16) I was able to get Internet access, voice and text. I was also able to make incredibly cheap calls back to the US (pennies per minute). I was there 7 full days and still had about 3 pounds left. Because when I got the sim, I had added 10 pounds for service on a weekday, when the weekend arrived I was given (automatically) an extra 10 pounds worth of time. I couldn't use all of the service I had during the trip and the Internet access was fast. Why can't it be this easy in the US???

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
By the way: someone above was saying they couldn't get to the Sidekick plan FROM THEIR PHONE, as if that was the end.

1. I can get to the Sidekick plan from my N900.

2. You don't have to change plans from the phone anyway. Just use a computer. I'm in Ubuntu right now, it works fine; I'm sure it would work fine from Windows 7 too.

Sorry that things can get a bit confusing in Prepaid land. That's why we don't have to pay the big bucks. Besides, I think being cheap is fun!
At my.t-mobile, the sidekick option no longer appears for me. As explained in a related post, I had switched off sidekick for a few days and when I tried to switch back, it was gone.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
What I am currently doing is paying for the $15 a month plan (on the little prepaid table) and am signed up for the ipv6 beta test (you can probably sign up for it too -- do a power search for ipv6 to find the thread explaining how).

This gives me blazingly fast internet access for $15 a month.
Could you explain where this $15 a month plan is? I find the t-mobile site incredibly useless. My my.t-mobile web page no longer gives me sidekick as a prepaid plan option. There are only two options now. I have not been able to find any really useful information on exactly what prepaid plans are available. Is the $15 plan a "flexpay" plan of some kind? The web pages never give you the opportunity to activate a new plan.

The Following User Says Thank You to rabilon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tpaixao View Post
yeah, I get the same, It used to be there but it's not anymore. I can't change to sidekick anymore...
OK, I could not see sidekick any longer. So I paid for a Simple Mobile $50 plan + sim.

Maybe I signed up too soon. I called t-mobile 611 a few minutes ago (it took forever to get thru to prepaid). I explained I could not switch to sidekick and she switched it for me. Now I have my Internet access back. At least so far it seems to work. I'm able to see web pages, login to my delta airlines account, etc.

However, when I look at the change plan website, no plans show up! The box is entirely empty.

Originally Posted by rabilon View Post
OK, I could not see sidekick any longer. So I paid for a Simple Mobile $50 plan + sim.

Maybe I signed up too soon. I called t-mobile 611 a few minutes ago (it took forever to get thru to prepaid). I explained I could not switch to sidekick and she switched it for me. Now I have my Internet access back. At least so far it seems to work. I'm able to see web pages, login to my delta airlines account, etc.

However, when I look at the change plan website, no plans show up! The box is entirely empty.
Now the t-mobile web site shows the correct plan (sidekick) and all three plans including sidekick show up. Although now I'm not sure I want to switch out of sidekick. Internet access seems to work as before.

I use the portal from this page and can access almost every site through the proxies, not just the T-zones one. And it's unlimited for prepaid customer, so I'm quite happy about it .

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Las Vegas
Yesterday they started offering some plans for prepaid plans. I'm using the $1.50 unlimited day pass plan. I can access pretty much anything, even stuff that didn't work with the Sidekick plan, like e-mail and maps. Skype and Gtalk work too.

I have my APN set to internet2.voicestream.com. Then open a web page; any non-WAP page should work. You'll be rounted to a page that will let you buy the day pass. Once you go through the prompts and hit Accept, you should have working internet for the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to FreeThinker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
Yesterday they started offering some plans for prepaid plans. I'm using the $1.50 unlimited day pass plan. I can access pretty much anything, even stuff that didn't work with the Sidekick plan, like e-mail and maps. Skype and Gtalk work too.

I have my APN set to internet2.voicestream.com. Then open a web page; any non-WAP page should work. You'll be rounted to a page that will let you buy the day pass. Once you go through the prompts and hit Accept, you should have working internet for the day.
I keep the N900 on Sidekick and almost everything works including e-mail and all web pages. What doesn't work includes updating/installing applications and mail for exchange (which I use to sync my google calendar). I can live without that so I think I get my money's worth for $30 per month (on average) total. Text messages are free. I don't remember what phone calls cost (either 10 or 15 cents per minute).

When I was in London in September I put in a UK t-mobile sim. It was cheap (~$16) and I had unlimited Internet. The week I was there I could not make enough phone calls (including back to the US) to use up all the credit. Plus I received another $16 worth of credit when the weekend came. I almost regretted coming home to the US. I just went to the near-by t-mobile store - the sim was FREE, they asked no questions (although they offered to put in the sim). If you pay 10 pounds on a week day, you get another 10 pounds worth over the weekend (which must be used on Saturday and Sunday and then disappears). Why can't it be that simple and cheap here in the US?

BTW, I'm using hiptop.t-mobile.com as the access point name.

FYI:
http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=8077
"T-Mobile introduced a new Web Day Pass option for its prepaid users this week. It provides 24 hours of unlimited data access for $1.49. [...]T-Mobile mentions a 30 MB daily soft cap on the Terms and Conditions page that you click though when activating a DayPass. After 30 MB, download speed is supposed to be slowed. I tested that by downloading over 200 MB and I don't seem to have encountered the cap. Even after 200 MB I was getting speeds in the 300-500 kbit/s range. While that's slower than the best speed (1859 kbit/s) I saw, it's still 3G performance."

I got this working on the new APN, epc.tmobile.com , with the icon for network speed showing "3.5G". I don't know about others.