Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Any ideas what this one is, its from here http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php
and is 249MB

Is it the full PR1.2 ? (and I dont mean 1.3 btw)

If I want to fully flash my N900 back to factory is that the latest file I need ?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I'm with you except for this. NOLO is software that should be approached with extreme caution. An N900 recoverable only via JTAG is effectively bricked for most people.
Jacekowski claims ROM-Bootloader (the level-0 bootloader that probably can never get hosed) on N900 has code to do a cold flash via USB, he even says he did it iirc
For the original claim it'd be impossible to kill N900 via sw - ohohoh, you got no idea how easily you can break things like CPU or NAND bad block management or a dozen other things via software

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Does this image change the loader? Has anyone confirmed if the alternate bootload stuff is in the W36 image?
NOLO will not be changed on next frimware update, I heard. Alternate bootload stuff for sure won't be in next maemo image, this info was a big misconception. Next maemo kernel will have working kexec, which would allow to boot a alien OS from within a working booted maemo system - so no real dualboot at all. Anyway Meego will use chainloader booting NOLO->uBoot->[maemo/meego/arbitrary other system], so it's not related to kexec at all and can be implemented any time.

One thing that does confuse me though: If you use the "hold u while booting" technique, doesn't that allow you to reflash the loader as well? I though the whole point of having the hardware shortcut was to force the load from ROM, which (while a set/old version) can always flash the entire device, loader included.
No, holding 'u' - for all I know - just forces NOLO into flashing mode. Yes, a working NOLO can flash itself, means replace the NOLO program code stored in NAND with a new one. This won't help nevertheless if NOLO is hosed - see above for for ROM-BL and coldflashing though.

This was one of the nice bits built into the second gen of the Neo FreeRunner (vs the 1973). If you held a hardware key down at startup it would boot completely from ROM, allowing you to always recover from a bad software load, since there was no way to over-write the ROM code. The ROM version had speed issues (only negotiated USB 1), but it was a safe fallback if one needed it because they hosed the loader in NAND.
It was NOR-flash, not ROM. You could change NOR with a debug board. NOR has a secondary uBoot bootloader, which is the exact counterpart of NOLO/ROM-BL (1st/2nd uBoot), thus allowing you to flash a fresh primary NAND uBoot and rootfs to NAND. The system itself never had any shadow copy anywhere.

@Mohammad: afaik N900 has JTAG. It's just you don't usually need it (see ROM-BL coldflash) and usually don't have the tools to access and operate it

Warnings about leaked PR1.2 back when were absolutely serious, as modem FW was updated with an incompatible version, which left you with a broken phone functionality when downgrading from PR1.2 to an older version

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
the leaked is came from china Always china!

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
@joerg_rw, I'm glad you mentioned the CMT firmware, as I was going to talk about that myself. I wonder if they've done it in this release ..

s/release/leak/

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Joerg:
Warnings about leaked PR1.2 back when were absolutely serious, as modem FW was updated with an incompatible version, which left you with a broken phone functionality when downgrading from PR1.2 to an older version
Don't worry mate, PR1.3 Cellular modem doesn't changed from PR1.2 It's perfectly the same so there won't be a cellular modem problem with flashing it back

Source? ME!

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
man nokia sucks.. the virtual keyboard bug is still not fixed! when you typ something and the screen locks, when you unlock you still lose all the text you typed. i really hope they still gonna fix this user interface problems. same as when you want to edit existing text with virtual keyboard the whole damn text is messed up.

i really dont get it. a half year nokia is working on this update and still such errors are not fixed...

dont bull$hit me about this update not being official, we will again see that when the official 1.3 comes out it was still the same version as the leaked one, only with a different number.

somehow i started to think nokia leaks these firmwares on purpose to let people test it without responsebility behind it.

by the way if this is everything the 1.3 has to offer then its a damn sad thing... camera got worse! more blue pixels in dark areas... phone log scrolling lags big time and still an sms is send when you start up the n900 first time after reflash. man o man what the hell is nokia doing....

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Any ideas what this one is, its from here http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php
and is 249MB

Is it the full PR1.2 ? (and I dont mean 1.3 btw)

If I want to fully flash my N900 back to factory is that the latest file I need ?
That's the EMMC image, if your flashing completely you'll need that and the firmware.

Follow the updating wiki and you can't go wrong.
READ IT FIRST!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Chicago
i also noticed that camera got a lot worse in leaked pr1.3 and media player legs big time. I am sure the firmware is undone and couples weeks away. there is no difference in flash performance despite the new version 9.0 r277 but it still outperformes android 10.1 both cant play hulu. I played with droids 10.1 and although its easier on a battery it is no way better than nokia n900 9.0 r260

leaks will be slower than final, because test versions are compiled for debugging. there is still alot of cleaup both in code and in packaging before it goes out for real.

Believe me, I'm a software developer.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
leaks will be slower than final, because test versions are compiled for debugging. there is still alot of cleaup both in code and in packaging before it goes out for real.

Believe me, I'm a software developer.
Dr. Peter Venkman: "Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
chuck norris, firmware, pr1.3