Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by augustya View Post
So once I install it will it, pose no harm to the Browser in anways like to get this enabled, it may hinder or restrict anything else. Inshort will it cause any damage or harm to the Browser or is usage ?
you can revert the UA back to standard one with 2 taps in settings.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
just kidding, install this:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/hideuseragent/
Ok I am new to using the N900, so dont know where do I need to install this? Do I need to log in to this site form my N900 or do I need to log in to this from a computer and then download and install it in my N900 using USB cable ?

Also you meniotioned it will return the UA back in 1-2 taps ? didn't quite understand what UA means ?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Did you understand my message at all?

You are scolding me for agreeing with you. Learn to read.
N900 is obscure from top to down

N900 is able to provide desktop like webpages to users but in the end users should understand that web-developers are ones who should be responsible.

Browser should be just code parser that inputs stuff by standards and outputs it by standards. If UI/Layout sucks then send feedback to page devels.

As sidenote
Another weird thing is text reflow that is also problem that touches this in a way.

- Browsers job is to render input by standards and output standard stuff. It should not do any tricks by default to layout of webpage desinged by web designer (even-thought some or most people may prefer text reflow)

- It should be option and disabled by default. Otherwise we will end up situation where web-developers just think that they do not need to do their job properly because there is some weird not standardized way of hacking their layout.

Talking about why Opera has always had problems with so many webpages. Reading comments on their forum/blog makes me angry towards web developers :| Lazy bastards :P

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Ok I am new to using the N900, so dont know where do I need to install this? Do I need to log in to this site form my N900 or do I need to log in to this from a computer and then download and install it in my N900 using USB cable ?

Also you meniotioned it will return the UA back in 1-2 taps ? didn't quite understand what UA means ?
http://whatsmyuseragent.com/WhatsAUserAgent.asp

Itīs bit same as you had nametag on your shirt that had some general info about you:
Finland 1977, Finnish, Male human
And you went to restaurant and without asking waitress starts to speak immediately finnish to you and gives you Kossu and HK-sininen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
god damit! I've talked soon in 30 posts about million times about User Agent
Google Custom Search

I have a wild idea for you:
open app manager, choose install apps, choose all. after that, start typing: "user agent"

e: if your app manager doesn't show the app (it hopefully doesn't), RTFW (read the wiki) about extras-testing. I have a link to the wiki at my signature.

ee: I suspect you can't do it yourself so I'll help a bit

first:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Installing_unstable_applications
http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software (has pictures how new repo is added, extras-testing article doesn't)

and last but not least
http://wiki.maemo.org/Installing_applications
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-10-21 at 09:22.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
UA: IT is basically a description of your web browser. In this case it is MicroB N900 but when you connect from your desktop it could be Internet Explorer Firefox safari etc. (will also identify Windows Linux OSX etc)

All web browsers by default tell the website they are visiting what user agent you are using. Some websites use that data to decide to send mobile or desktop versions of their site.

Very few sites actually search for the N900 user agent. But clearly you have found one.

The software you have been told to install adds an option to change the User Agent details. IE The web browser will lie to the web page and not tell it it is a N900.

The website will send the default desktop page in response.

You will have an option in settings to turn this on and off.

To install it follow the above advice on the extras testing repository.

I hope that all makes it clear.

Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post
UA: IT is basically a description of your web browser. In this case it is MicroB N900 but when you connect from your desktop it could be Internet Explorer Firefox safari etc. (will also identify Windows Linux OSX etc)

All web browsers by default tell the website they are visiting what user agent you are using. Some websites use that data to decide to send mobile or desktop versions of their site.

Very few sites actually search for the N900 user agent. But clearly you have found one.

The software you have been told to install adds an option to change the User Agent details. IE The web browser will lie to the web page and not tell it it is a N900.

The website will send the default desktop page in response.

You will have an option in settings to turn this on and off.

To install it follow the above advice on the extras testing repository.

I hope that all makes it clear.
Sure, Thanks for the detailed description. So when I want my browser back to the default state i.e to Factory settings I can just go in to the Browser Settings and turn it off right ?

Last edited by augustya; 2010-10-21 at 09:58.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
never had any problem with microb.
it opens the site always desktop like even the special $%&$§ sites

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
just kidding, install this:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/hideuseragent/
I am getting confused here, From what I understand is I need to first enable Extras-Devel Repositories search for UA application and as mentioned on this page http://maemo.org/packages/view/hideuseragent/ install the version which is on the top i.e.

Fremantle Extras-devel free armel hideuseragent 0.3.7