Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by orion88freedom View Post
Do you think we can ask for a refund if Nokia can't or aren't willing to fix the USB under warranty? I'd rather have a refund and just buy a cheaper one rather than wait months for a replacement.
If they can't fix it, then you could certainly demand a (partial) refund. If it's just down to a delay, you could always ask for a refund. If they aren't willing to fix it under warranty then you'll first have to get them to admit it's a warranty matter before you can get on to the issue of replacement/refund.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Well I got a text from Nokia after 2,5 weeks when I went to a Care Point that "your nokia product is ready at your Nokia Care Point" (in Dutch, it was) So I was originally really happy.

When I got there, I got really disappointed when I noticed it was still missing the micro-UBS connector!! They had done nothing to it except for removing the sticker witch attatched my loose microUSB to the phone's back side and place a fancy transparant sticker over the front as if it had been renewed.
The repair sheet that Nokia had sent to the care point alongside with my unfinished device, had no relevant info except for 'Status: FIXED'

The lady at the care point was nice though and said she would sent an email the same day to Nokia and send my phone again. I also sent in my back cover and battery with the phone as I did not on the 1st attempt as the lady back then advised me.

She said that it is possible that it will not take as long as the first time, because they should give this fix priority over others, since this is their fault.

They'd better treat me exceptionally well from now on, to be continued...

+1 for broken USB port. Got a replacement within a week but reverting back to my n96 made me appreciate my n900 again.

I received my N900 via a trade for Iphone 3GS. Worked beautifully until it fell from my bed to carpeted floor. The USB broke off. The phone works as advertised but I cannot get the phone seviced in Canada becaused it was made for the US. It is still under warranty. Per Nokia, I need a US address to have it fixed even if I want to pay for the repairs. I have a N95 which is still one of the best phones ever built but something stinks when there is a known issue with the phone and service is territorial rather than universal. Nokia service keeps trying to get me to find a US address to use. At this price point....this should not be an issue

The Following User Says Thank You to merlindgr8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jonathandueck View Post
So, I read this thread, start to finish, yesterday. My reading of this, well, voluminous thread might be defective, but as far as I can tell, we're not at this point sure whether Nokia has addressed the design or manufacturing issue that is causing the detached USB ports, and visually there seems to be no change in more newly made N900s. Have I read correctly (and apologies if I haven't)?
Actually I've explained very thoroughly, here and in my blog, what the LIKELY issues are.

The fact that copper pulls free from the PCB when the connector comes loose indicates poor bonding of copper plate to the PCB substrate. Copper should never come free so easily due to shear force. I would lay ultimate blame here on the PCB supplier. Nokia claims they have corrected the problem, but I'm skeptical.

HOWEVER...

It is my expert judgment that Nokia erred in selecting a surface mount connector in the first place. A through hole version will strongly resist this sort of failure, much, much more so than surface mount versions. One Nokia employee disputed this with me, but it is a fact not open to dispute.

Essentially, that's it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The fact that copper pulls free from the PCB when the connector comes loose indicates poor bonding of copper plate to the PCB substrate. Copper should never come free so easily due to shear force. I would lay ultimate blame here on the PCB supplier. Nokia claims they have corrected the problem, but I'm skeptical.
Texrat, I appreciate your hard work on this issue so much. I had read your blog posts and the posts here with great interest and care. My question, though, is about whether we could _see_ or otherwise evaluate whether Nokia has in fact addressed this issue--and your answer is helpful on this question, If I understand you right: if the issue is with the PCB board, there might be no visual difference whatsoever--nothing we could see--but the board might be fixed. (Or, it might not--we'd know, if the new board either demonstrated better bonding between the port and the board, or when the port fell off.) Did I understand the implications of your post correctly (and thanks again for all your work on this!)?

Best
Jon

The Following User Says Thank You to jonathandueck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by StefanL View Post
My port came out but I had it fixed in two hours. I guess that is the first positive thing that I can report about Lagos, Nigeria; any phone problems can be fixed easily .

Just cost me 10,000 Naira, or $70.00 XD.
lol yeah Naija is full of wizards that can fix about anything.

I had same loose port problem but fortunately, Nokia sent me a brand new one. They should have sent it to Lagos for a fix and saved all some cash but I am not complaining

Curious, has anyone who received a new device because of this issue had the problem happen again in the new device? I'm trying to decide if I'll keep using the usb port to charge or do the external charging thing (which is a bit of a pain) when the new one arrives.

anecdotes appreciated. (we're over 1700 posts deep, so if I missed it my bad).

Last edited by Drekkie; 2010-10-20 at 21:25.

mines been broke. just saw thread

There have been several reports of folks' replacement devices also losing their USB ports, and people on this thread have been attempting to figure out if there is a point after which Nokia has really fixed this issue, in part by tracking the manufacture dates of their N900s. But AFAIK no one has a clear answer on whether Nokia has really fixed it (see above conversation with Texrat regarding why people might not know).

The Following User Says Thank You to jonathandueck For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty