Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
It has been a while since I posted. But as I saw a request concerning if the replacement devices are having the same issue I thought it was time to put me 2p in.

My device USB port failed after one week.

After much arguing with Nokia they eventually sent me a new device.

That was 5+ Months ago now. I will say that I have been using the port every day.

So far it seems as solid as I would expect.

In tat 5+ Months I have had a car crash pretty bad with my n900 plugged in. Car written off. Car charger broken at the microUSB port. N900 fine

Also at least one incident similar to the chair one described in texrats original blog posting.

So I would say the replacement devices are of a expected quality.

Still very happy with my device and it is my everyday phone.

My personal opinion is still not very happy with Nokia though. Everything
I have seen on the N9 so far it seems to be my perfect device but I do not trust Nokia customer service atm. Will wait until it comes out then decide how they are doing after the recent change in leadership.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
I don't think they ever really fixed this issue, I got my first n900 in January and the usb port broke in May (My fault I tripped over the charger cable and it completely ripped out the usb port.) Sent it in for repair and they sent me a new one. The new one just recently broke the end of september and this was just with daily charging using the usb cable. Still waiting for a new one, they seem to be on backorder.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by debo900 View Post
I don't think they ever really fixed this issue, I got my first n900 in January and the usb port broke in May (My fault I tripped over the charger cable and it completely ripped out the usb port.) Sent it in for repair and they sent me a new one. The new one just recently broke the end of september and this was just with daily charging using the usb cable. Still waiting for a new one, they seem to be on backorder.
No fun sorry mate.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jonathandueck View Post
Did I understand the implications of your post correctly (and thanks again for all your work on this!)?

Best
Jon
Yes you did!

Originally Posted by debo900 View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean the root cause was never fixed-- either way, there were likely many pre-fix devices in the pipeline.

Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Curious, has anyone who received a new device because of this issue had the problem happen again in the new device? I'm trying to decide if I'll keep using the usb port to charge or do the external charging thing (which is a bit of a pain) when the new one arrives.

anecdotes appreciated. (we're over 1700 posts deep, so if I missed it my bad).
Yes; I am on N900 number 3 with 2 previous broken ports.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
hey guys you know what ? thought it would never happen, well it finally happened... the usb connector is becoming broken ><'

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
Yup, put me down for some of that "me too" goodness! :-(

No dropping or mistreatment, it's just slowly got worse over the last 2 momths. The wall charger doesn't work at all. I have to use the charger from my old N95, plugged into the adapter that came with the N900. I have to push the plastic block part of the adapter round so that it forces the cable into a 'U' shape and exerts a slight upward pressure on the USB port - then it charges, as long as it doesn't get disturbed.

I'll be taking it into my local Nokia care centre next week. I'll let y'all know how I get on...

Last edited by PhilE; 2010-10-21 at 18:20. Reason: stoopid speeling mistooks

I received my repaired! n900 today - first they told me to completely replace it but when I was in the shop to pick it up I noticed that they only replaced the mainboard - so far everything seems fine - lets hope it stays that way! (austria/a1)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil4444 For This Useful Post:
Got my replacement n900 last night. just the main bit, no new battery etc.(had my fingers crossed that if they sent a new one then I'd get a new battery etc. too.) But I did get a new stylus that came with it, so that's something I guess. When I finally sent it in (took ages to back everything up) it's taken less than a week. Website said they received it on tuesday and the new one came on Thursday.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty