Active Topics

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
well...

i have the n8 and the n900.

I love Maemo, but the thing with Symbian is that you know that Nokia won't push Symbian aside. Look at Maemo. The last update was approx. 6 months ago (if i remember correctly).

What Nokia should do is, provide more frequent updates fixing a lower number of bugs rather than one massive update fixing a higher number of bugs. This should be valid for Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo.

Is there still hope that MeeGo could after-all be supported by Nokia on the N900? I guess that we will have to wait and see.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevinp93 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
reason why Symbian^3 devices will get Updates is b/c Nokia have dropped Orbit which means there will be no compatibility break, they will just use plain Qt and Qt Quick.
I'm really starting to fear Symbian future for the first time b/c of the stepping down of Lee Williams from the foundation and 100's of Nokia Symbian redundancy's and Now the News that Orbit UI is dropped. its like its being wound down slowly

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
*almost preorders N8 from nokiausa.com*

oh wait, they still dont wanna send me my rebate from the second n900 I bought...

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
@HellFlyer & @ossipena:

Thanks, but I was not being serious.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
whats there to be shocked if N8 is going to get symbian 4?

Linux Based Devices : Motorokr e6 | Nokia N900

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Get your game face on Apple Nokia is back!

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
After this news, I felt that N8 is quite worth the value right now. Also what would happen to the N900 future? There isn't any talk about N900 though. I doubtfully think that N900 might be missing out but I really hope I'm wrong

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kevinp93 View Post
well...

What Nokia should do is, provide more frequent updates fixing a lower number of bugs rather than one massive update fixing a higher number of bugs. This should be valid for Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo.
well...

isn't this exactly what was announced for symbian?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I want to be excited by these news but I simply cant. Having left symbian and using it again on the odd occasion I remember why I switched to Maemo. I want Symbian to do well but that's about it. I think they will have to re-do the entire Symbian UI - get rid of blocks and double tapping, change colours/icons and stop restricting the desktop widgets to limited size etc.

But thats the thing. That is symbian as we know it. They have the possibility to do all the above things and just "sexy" it up. Which is what people would look at and adore. Because Symbian has been able to, and still can do anything iOS or Android can do (video calls years ago?). So good on Nokia to keep trying and push things through despite pressures to abandon and do stupid things like use WP7/Android.

Now what I would really like is some results on Meego. Still too early to tell but when we are blessed with this new OS, a clear solid road plan would be ideal. No more last min changes and excuses.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
stop restricting the desktop widgets to limited size etc.
then they have to stop the desktop screen rotation.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Tags
jackass is back, jackass++