Hey guys
I just reflashed my n900 yesterday and so I installed rootsh again .

But now "Sudo gainroot" works fine but when i do
"sudo <command>" it prompts me for a password.
I don't remember terminal asking me for a password before I flashed it.

Did I mess up somewhere? Need help

No that's absolutely normal behavior. Just use "rootsh" and then any command instead of sudo, then you are fine!

The Following User Says Thank You to youxing For This Useful Post:
If sudo gainroot works then you don't need to use sudo before other commands, you are already root. You can test this by entering "sudo gainroot" and then "whoami". It should respond with "root".

Edit: Or as suggested above use rootsh before each command.

Last edited by amh; 2010-10-22 at 23:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to amh For This Useful Post:
Right
but what went wrong that now it asks for password everytime I sudo a command.

I don't think it used to ask for a password with just sudo. Did it?

I guess that nothing went wrong!
Maybe you just had an older version of rootsh on your phone. All newer versions of rootsh after version 1.8 don't support "sudo" anymore due to security reasons AFAIK. Use "root", "sudo gainroot" or "rootsh" as a command instead

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Mine did this from the first time I installed rootsh. I have no idea what that password is supposed to be. I was able to reset it by editing the passwd- (or passwd? I don't remember. It was stored somewhere as some random mix of masked characters. I just edited them, saved the file, and I think it got encypted/masked when I looked at it again, but yeah) file as root though, before my reflash. Haven't gotten around to it after my reflash.

I THINK that it asking for a password is the normal behavior for "sudo" - I do not think that it's supposed to randomly set one without you being asked to set one though. There should also be a way to reset it, I just don't know what that way is.

BTW, I just tested rootsh - and that comes up with a "deprecated" message. Sudo on the other hand still works, it just asks for a password each time. *Shrug*

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-10-23 at 01:07. Reason: Ran rootsh for testing...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: