Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Wow!! This is really a good news.

However, I am more excited to wait for the 2011 MeeGo based device announcement.
I want N9 = N8 (with dual-core OMAP4440) + Clear Black Display + Hardware Keyboard + Should be able to run both MeeGo and Symbian!

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
It is great to see that nokia is focusing on QT but where is nokia saying N8 will get symbian 4??

Another thing to notice is what will happen to meegotuch UI that is top of QT is this also abandoned like orbit ui??

still alot of confusing about what is happening at nokia.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
It is great to see that nokia is focusing on QT but where is nokia saying N8 will get symbian 4??
I think Nokia said that there won't be a direct Symbian^4 sort of thing. The current Symbian^3 will slowly be evolving which ideally would be Symbian^4. So, basically the devices currently on market with Symbian^3 are on the update path for years to come and which is good news.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
anyone want to get Orbit Running on N900?
its been done internally b/c heres a video from 6 months ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfdsf...layer_embedded

orbit code can be found below.
http://developer.symbian.org/oss/FCL/sf/mw/hb/

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-10-23 at 16:28. Reason: wrong link

At last, Nokia has eventually heard it's users. I loved Symbian on my N95 I detested it on my N97 and it's only slightly better on my wife's X6. I have yet to have my paws on an N8 but I will. I bought an N900 on a whim, it was Nokia's last throw of the dice having hacked and slashed at closed source S60 v3 & V5 the N900 won me over, I adore what can be done with it, am amazed what you guys and gals do with it. I can only hope it will run a version of Meego with a GUI that works.

This is the best news Nokia have brought out since the announcement of the N95. Since then they have rested on their laurels. The N900 being an experiment as it were. It is not too little too late, it's just late.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
I think Nokia said that there won't be a direct Symbian^4 sort of thing. The current Symbian^3 will slowly be evolving which ideally would be Symbian^4. So, basically the devices currently on market with Symbian^3 are on the update path for years to come and which is good news.
yes sounds more like and the fact that n900 also has latest QT maybe stops some of the whinners here about nokia not supports n900 cause above is infact also related to n900 future

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Trade wars over precious minerals have begun between China and Japan.........I wouldnt be surprised if it spills over to smartphone components.........its the only industry that is beating recession
And China recently halted the export of precious metals to the US.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Symbian is one of the oldest OSes around and its simply not designed to work with touchscreen devices
Nonsense. Its predecessor, Epoc32, was for devices with touchscreens. The early reference designs for Symbian devices included ones with touchscreens.

however with Nokia's help it is becoming close to such OS but it wont be suitable for high end for sure
That should be despite Nokia's "help" - Nokia themselves toyed around with a touchscreen UI for Symbian, but eventually dropped it and concentrated solely on keyboard UI (S60).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Wasn't that touch UI for Symbian called Hildon, later ported to GTK+ and used in the 770 Internet Tablet and rest of Maemo devices?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Symbian is one of the oldest OSes around and its simply not designed to work with touchscreen devices however with Nokia's help it is becoming close to such OS but it wont be suitable for high end for sure ....Nokia knows that as well, hence MeeGo is their answer for high end sector
UIQ has been used by SonyEricsson on the P800 already in 2002 and since on the P-series. UIQ is a touch screen interface on Symbian. Back in those days it was either SonyEriccson, Motorola or Palm that could offer touch screen. Both SonyEricsson and Motorola used Symbian with UIQ. The Motorola phones were way ahead of its time equipped with aGPS already in 2003/2004.

I still got my P1i, the pinnacle of the P-series (some would say)

Sadly UIQ simply could not renew themselves due to a number of reasons, and went bankrupt in 2008.

Tags
jackass is back, jackass++