Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Looking over your shoulder or looking foward is a choice Nokia has made. Adopting Android, and all the constraints, both in design and software implementation, that will bring is looking over their shoulder. Adopting MeeGo is looking forward.

Many of the complaints some people have about Symbian^1 are true also for Android. It is slow, quirky, inconsistent. This is the way forward? There is a reason 7/8 of the people buying smartphones do not choose Android.

Control of the OS is paramount to offering unique devices. Apple understands this. Nokia understands this. The tight integration between OS and device is what makes the iPhone4 such a sought after device by people who do not feel a need to tinker with their phones. MeeGo can have the possibility of offering that same tight integration and the ability to "look under the hood". Android, by design, offers a commonality among devices.

Going Android gives control to Google. Going MeeGo gives control to Nokia. Who has the deepest experience in buidling phones?

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
yaawn...
there's no hope for new original content here in tmo?
tl,dr: same stale discussion of other thousands of threads.

This Article is Bull-****. How come the symbian will shut down and just day-before-yesterday the CTO of Nokia stated , the future of Symbian^3 & MeeGo are starting Now..!!!!1

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Funny. A totally bogus article from a US blogger with no idea of what Symbian or Nokia is all about, and it is full action

Relax, the N8 is a hit, and Nokia will sell more units of this device than all the other "high end" androids and iPhones combined. Nokia will survive. Symbian will survive, and MeeGo will survive.

The end is near, and the end is good, for now

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
You can extend the question of the subject of this thread beyond Nokia to any device vendor. Why would they go for Android once MeeGo is consolidated?

You are invited to check and contribute to http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Offi...eGo_vs_Android

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Hmm,

realy can't say with whom they should stick. i can however say that i do want a choice(whereever possible) what runs on my phone.
meego did a very good job examining the phone and producing open/ free solutions for this phone.
good thing as i now can use their work and put on my phone whatever i want. good thing to have a choice.

if you look around in this forum you see what great work many people here did. they only could do it for nokia didn't restrict them as much as with other phones.

so it's no so much if android or meego is the better choice. it's giving people the freedom to choose instead of making the decision for them. great things happen if you let them. not everything will find its way into mainstream. but that doesn't matter. what matters is to have a choice.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Why would [device vendors] go for Android once MeeGo is consolidated?
Makes sense to me! Assuming that Meego is as good or better an OS compared to Android, if a phone manufacturer could have a true open source OS, hosted by the Linux Foundation, which helps "keep it honest," or an OS controlled by Google, why would the manufacturer choose Android? Or why would a vendor like a telecom want to cede more control to Google, or Apple?

(OK, it might choose Android because it offers spiffy stuff from Google, like voice recognition, coordination with GMail and Google Calendar, lots of third-party apps, ... So, can Nokia and friends provide enough spiffy stuff beyond the OS, as well as a superior OS?)

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Original article is just FUD. Even the title is pure flamebait:

"Symbian's dead, and MeeGo won't cure ailing Nokia
Not-so-smartphone vendor Nokia must swallow pride -- and medicine -- and embrace Android or even Windows Phone 7"

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
You can extend the question of the subject of this thread beyond Nokia to any device vendor. Why would they go for Android once MeeGo is consolidated?
Even further - what is Google gaining from keeping Android alive once MeeGo is consolidated? ;-).

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following User Says Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
Even further - what is Google gaining from keeping Android alive once MeeGo is consolidated? ;-).
Android has already been adopted by more folks than MeeGo. That would be reason #1.

MeeGo's adoption rate will be what people will pay attention to. Well that and if it will get dumped, stopped, restarted, non-upgraded on a device like Maemo in an official manner.

Time to just wait and see what will happen in regards to MeeGo. Until the products start shipping, I'll remain hopeful yet skeptical.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
troll