Active Topics

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by andmcg1 View Post
Certain updates are not available over the air. You need to connect your phone to your PC and use the Nokia Software Update software:

http://www.nokia.com.au/support/down...oftware-update
Uh yeah. The software updater is windows only. Unfortunately, I only run Linux at home... And don't have a windows box at work, either.

As an aside, Nokia just put itself on the same sh*t-list in my book with VMware and TomTom. And this is my message to them.

If you are going to leverage the power of Linux, its probably going to attract a fair number of Linux users...Bet on this. If you are going to sell a Linux device, then you need to build LInux apps to manage/support it.

The Nokia device isn't so bad, this is the first time in almost 3 years of owning one that I have encountered the problem. But vmware and tomtom both *require* you to have Windows to interact with the device/software.

I apologize for the rant, but that kind of thing really gets under my skin. I'm a professional Linux system admin and security engineer in real life, so generally don't run windows a whole lot. So when I see a device that supports Linux, I generally try to support that company. I really hate when I get it stuck to me because of it.

--vr

Last edited by VulcanRidr; 2010-10-27 at 10:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by storkus View Post
I *STRONGLY* recommend you backup (manually if necessary) and do a firmware flash (including eMMC) instead of the OTA update. I did this and have not run into any of the major problems everyone else has. Since I knew 1.3 was close and I've only had my N900 3 weeks or so, I deliberately didn't install a bunch of apps until 1.3 came out.

Making a clean install of *ANY* OS, including clean config files if possible, eliminates all sorts of problems compared to updating an existing installation. This was the original and still preferred way when updating Slackware (my preferred distro), was highly recommended for years (and maybe still is) once a year for a typical winblows installation, and experience proves it's a good idea here as well.

Mike
I will give this a try if I encounter any problems. This *is* kind of a dramatic and disruptive step. I have been running Debian unstable for years, and kind of like the rolling release. That is the least intrusive on my workflow. Thats is why I prefer Debian to Ubuntu. In a lot of cases, you *have* to do a clean install of Ubuntu every 6 months. Then, you spend the next 3 or 4 getting everything dialed in just the way you like it, only to repeat the process. With Debian (which Maemo is also built from), it can be a rolling release. I can update as often or as seldom as I like. The last time I did a complete rebuild on my workstation was 2007, and before that, 2000. 2000 was to clear a problem that had built over a couple of years. 2007 was a rebuild due to new hardware (32 -> 64 bit transition).

--vr

Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
I am so glad Nokia released 1.3, but I have a minor problem/question. Can you do the OTA update? It appears in the app manager, but when I click on it, it tells me to connect it to my pc via USB. I did so, then it wants me to run a backup. I did so, writing to mmc1. When that is complete, I close backup, and go back to the app manager. I have to click on Maemo 5 (or update all), it goes through the whole thing again.

Is it possible to update OTA or do I have to download and flash? Guess I'm doing this in the morning...

Thanks,
--vr
I tried to do an OTA update yesterday, but Program Manager told me I had to use PC Suite. I believe this is to do with the way Program Manager uses the partitions. I eventually did it OTA using Faster Program Manager, which does the job easily.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Originally Posted by dsawhney View Post
I had the same issue and had to uninstall healthcheck, cloudgps and libgles1 package for the update to install OTA.

Go to App Mgr and once you select the Maemo5 update, press the "Details" button and then the "Problems" tab. There it should tell you which packages to uninstall.
Aha, I just found it. Thank you very much. I'll upgrade when I get to work.

So far, for me it is

libqt4-test
pyside-qt4-test
python-pyside.qttest
python2.5-qt4-test

Not too bad so far...hopefully the rabbit hole goes no deeper.

--vr

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Over here in Holland still can't upgrade to pr1.3 . . . shows me nothing to upgrade . . .

i have nothing to upgrade to here in england not on fapman or ham any ideas why?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by pedro-25 View Post
i have nothing to upgrade to here in england not on fapman or ham any ideas why?
Because Nokia haven't pulled their finger out and released the UK firmware yet.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Uh yeah. The software updater is windows only. Unfortunately, I only run Linux at home... And don't have a windows box at work, either.
Luckily you can do the update on Linux too, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Luckily you can do the update on Linux too, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware
Yeah, I have done it this way as well, on my N810. But the OTA update is less destructive/disruptive than the nuke-and-pave method like flasher does, which is what I was trying to convey to Storkus. I was under the impression that the software update app would do an upgrade rather than a flash...

It seems to be working now that i have the offending debs removed.

thanks
--vr

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by rabilon View Post
. After it downloaded and installed, it rebooted (it said it would). It took less than a half hour. It was painless.
Lucky you, I updated OTA, and then it shut down like its suposed to, and never came passed the Nokia boot logo thingy. And now it just shows me the Nokia logo and reboots, over and over and over again, untill i remove the battery.

-Futtawuh