I have updated my N900 all the way from initial PR1.0 to PR1.0.1 to PR1.1 to PR1.1.1 to PR1.2 and now to PR1.3 - and alway OTA, never flashed.
This time I had to remove N900ftp and Tuxracer to get rid of the conflicting packages (something with qt4-test and libgles-sgx). I also removed FCam drivers and depending apps. After that the OTA update ran smooth and relatively fast.

(I really would hate to flash my lovely N900 - flashing is like killing, OTA is like healing...)

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by andmcg1 View Post
Certain updates are not available over the air. You need to connect your phone to your PC and use the Nokia Software Update software:

http://www.nokia.com.au/support/down...oftware-update
Just edited the post quoted above to prevent more bricked devices as the pc-suite update did already (just a few but that's enough I guess)

This quoted post is not true, OTA update is available but there are packages conflicting with it if it tells you to use pc-suite!
If you look at the "info" tab of the package you will get notice of the conflict. if you now try to remove the package with "apt-get remove <package>" it will tell you the depending programs you then easily uninstall via app-manager. After you have done this you should be able to upgrade OTA.

Do not "apt-get dist-upgrade", it worked before but didn't most of this time. I would suggest do not even do "apt-get upgrade" as it will upgrade even with packages on hold back status if one of the conflicting libraries is installed. There is an installer script in the packages not conflicting, uninstalling most of the packages which wont revert that as the held back packages are missing.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
hi, i want to make a newthread, its very important, how can i make one ? please help

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Just edited the post quoted above to prevent more bricked devices as the pc-suite update did already (just a few but that's enough I guess)

This quoted post is not true, OTA update is available but there are packages conflicting with it if it tells you to use pc-suite!
If you look at the "info" tab of the package you will get notice of the conflict. if you now try to remove the package with "apt-get remove <package>" it will tell you the depending programs you then easily uninstall via app-manager. After you have done this you should be able to upgrade OTA.

Do not "apt-get dist-upgrade", it worked before but didn't most of this time. I would suggest do not even do "apt-get upgrade" as it will upgrade even with packages on hold back status if one of the conflicting libraries is installed. There is an installer script in the packages not conflicting, uninstalling most of the packages which wont revert that as the held back packages are missing.
Well, the upgrade went well, or so I thought. However, after it rebooted, I have no icons, no backgrounds and where the theme parts are are pink. In the upper left is a pink section where the status icons usually are only has the clock...And I also have a constant message saying "Internal error. Application 'Calendar' closed."

I rebooted a few times, then, yes, fell back to my Debian-ism and did an apt-get -f install, rebooted (no change) then did apt-get upgrade. It installed and configured the rest of the list of packages in the pkg manager (mainly dealing with mbarcode).

Anyone know what the pink bars with no icons indicates is missing? Or more to the point, know of a fix? I'm headed out to get the flash file, I don't have a problem with flashing it again, I just didn't want to if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks,
--vr

Last edited by VulcanRidr; 2010-10-27 at 12:49.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Yeah, I have done it this way as well, on my N810. But the OTA update is less destructive/disruptive than the nuke-and-pave method like flasher does, which is what I was trying to convey to Storkus. I was under the impression that the software update app would do an upgrade rather than a flash...
No, the Windows upgrade method does a flash, so you're no worse off using Linux.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-10-28 at 09:03.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Well, the upgrade went well, or so I thought. However, after it rebooted, I have no icons, no backgrounds and where the theme parts are are pink.
I had a similar issue. It seems for some reason several of the PR1.3 packages had conflicts with the locale files. (It seems several packages were all trying to update files in the same folder, and for some reason dpkg didn't like that.)

I used apt-get to list the offending packages (all were in the cache still) and used dpkg --force-overwrite to install them. As I recall there were about 70 of them (I just scripted them to install as a chunk). After that I was able to launch appManager and restart the install. It was showing an odd icon for the package, and the description said "Broken but able to update".

After that and about 3 automated reboots it finished up properly. Quite impressive given how borked it was. :P apt-get is now showing a bunch of python2.5-qt4 packages as "removable", but I haven't auto-removed... yet.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I had a similar issue. It seems for some reason several of the PR1.3 packages had conflicts with the locale files. (It seems several packages were all trying to update files in the same folder, and for some reason dpkg didn't like that.)

I used apt-get to list the offending packages (all were in the cache still) and used dpkg --force-overwrite to install them. As I recall there were about 70 of them (I just scripted them to install as a chunk). After that I was able to launch appManager and restart the install. It was showing an odd icon for the package, and the description said "Broken but able to update".

After that and about 3 automated reboots it finished up properly. Quite impressive given how borked it was. :P apt-get is now showing a bunch of python2.5-qt4 packages as "removable", but I haven't auto-removed... yet.
Apparently mine was a little deeper than that. My eMMC was truly b0rked somehow. I dunno, but after four flashes, with the mSD and without, with the sim and without, I finally had to flash the eMMC with the OS.

Now I still need to get my wireless on speaking terms with the access point. But...one step at a time...

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
I am currently upgrading to PR1.3 using fapman (Fast Application Manager), because even changing /etc/apt/sources.d to 1.3, "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" did not work. In fact, I wasn't able to change extra repository to 1.3 using the standard hildon app manager (even starting as root).

Fapman, instead, worked flawless (some 1000+ packages in something like 87+ Mbytes downloading now).

hi, im in the uk and it stilll deosnt show in the app manager, please can some1 help thanks

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by chok View Post
hi, im in the uk and it stilll deosnt show in the app manager, please can some1 help thanks
What does (as root, in X Terminal)
apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr
say?