Posts: 85 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Near Paris, in the frog-eaters country
Hi all,

Monday, I was updating some packages, when I made an :
apt-get upgrade
I saw many updates. As I knew, the PR 1.3 was coming soon (already deployed in UK), so I decided to process the update. After solving some dependance/overwrites/******** troubles, all gone OK.
But I'm still at version "10.2010.19-1"
When doing an :
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
My N900 doesn't see anything new... How to "force" an OTA update ?

I have the same issue. I never got OTA update notification (I'm in USA). How can I force it ?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You may be missing the mp-fremantle-XXX-pr package - try running:
Code:
dpkg -l "mp-fremantle-*"
If it doesn't show up as installed (prefixed with "ii") then do:
Code:
apt-get install "mp-fremantle-*"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
It seems I have (more or less) the same issue as the OP. The dpkg -l command returns nothing so I guess I don't have the generic package either.

But running the apt-get on the "mp-fremantle-* packages wants to download and upgrade 991 packages, for a total of 60 MB.

I'm a bit surprised there. I can't see any reference to PR1.3 in the names, so why are they now appearing?

Is this a partial re-install of PR1.2 due to the metapackage dependency list or the actual upgrade to PR1.3 ?

The actual PR1.3 install I would like to postpone till multiboot-n900 and NITdroid are PR1.3 compatible, maybe (re)using the new u-boot method.
I just want to make it clean enough so things go smoother later on. I have already removed all libgles dependent apps and all conflicting apps other people have reported.

Any people in the same situation, also having this huge list of packages to download just to satisfy the meta-package ? Can I safely install them?

I'm also using Titan's power kernel, basically all is working nicely as it is but I fear a lot of applications will be updated to work with PR1.3 and break in PR1.2 as a consequence. So I might be stuck with older, not supported versions of the software.

Just threading careful here, too many things have been installed/customized to have it to redo it all again after a full reflash...

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
But running the apt-get on the "mp-fremantle-* packages wants to download and upgrade 991 packages, for a total of 60 MB.

I'm a bit surprised there. I can't see any reference to PR1.3 in the names, so why are they now appearing?

Is this a partial re-install of PR1.2 due to the metapackage dependency list or the actual upgrade to PR1.3 ?
It'll be the full PR1.3 install. The firmware release is defined by the version of the metapackage - it then pulls in all the other packages that make up the release by using dependencies. This is also why it'll have been removed from your N900 - you'll have installed a newer/older version of one of the dependent packages, which has therefore forced the removal of the metapackage in order to prevent conflicts.

I'm not sure whether the old version is retained in the repository - you could try doing "apt-cache show mp-fremantle-generic-pr | grep Version" (replace generic with whatever variant you're using) to see what versions are available (mine only shows the current version though).

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Near Paris, in the frog-eaters country
hi

the dpkg -l doesnt see the packages as installed. So I did what you told me, here is the output :
root@Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install "mp-fremantle-*"
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-002-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-203-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-003-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-generic-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-004-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mp-fremantle-generic-pr: Depends: libsdl-mixer1.2 (= 1:1.2.6-5+0m5)
E: Broken packages

root@Nokia-N900:~# dpkg -l |grep libsdl-mixer
ii libsdl-mixer1.2 1:1.2.6-5+0m5+ogg+mp3 Mixer library for libSDL

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I had the same issue with upgrading with apt-get. I used the seldomly-used program manager and it passed the upgrade. Have you been trying the program manager?

Originally Posted by doctor madness View Post
hi

the dpkg -l doesnt see the packages as installed. So I did what you told me, here is the output :
root@Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install "mp-fremantle-*"
Building dependency tree
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-002-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-203-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-003-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-generic-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Note, selecting mp-fremantle-004-pr for regex 'mp-fremantle-*'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mp-fremantle-generic-pr: Depends: libsdl-mixer1.2 (= 1:1.2.6-5+0m5)
E: Broken packages

root@Nokia-N900:~# dpkg -l |grep libsdl-mixer
ii libsdl-mixer1.2 1:1.2.6-5+0m5+ogg+mp3 Mixer library for libSDL
For some reason you're seeing all the firmware variants - I thought the repositories only held a single one (I only find the one anyway). You're probably on the generic firmware, so you'll need to sort out the libsdl-mixer issue first, then install the generic metapackage:
Code:
apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2=1.2.6-5+0m5
apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I had the same issue with upgrading with apt-get. I used the seldomly-used program manager and it passed the upgrade. Have you been trying the program manager?

how do you run it ? cant find it...

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
For some reason you're seeing all the firmware variants - I thought the repositories only held a single one (I only find the one anyway). You're probably on the generic firmware, so you'll need to sort out the libsdl-mixer issue first, then install the generic metapackage:
Code:
apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr
Building dependency tree
E: Version '1.2.6-5+0m5' for 'libsdl-mixer1.2' was not found

samething after apt_get update