Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by shadowz1337 View Post
hey guys, a quick question. I've overclocked my N900 several times before so this aint new to me, but i've never tried to use different voltage profiles before, like the lv, ulv etc......

so today i set to the LV profile, and set the limit range from 250~850 (following the instructions in Jakiman's guide).

After a reboot, all works well but my frequency is shown to be at 850Mhz........is that suppose to be right?? I thought it should be at 250Mhz and only go up to 850 if it is running processes or in high usage?? But i wasn't running anything and it's already set at 850Mhz......i can of course still set it to a lower frequency but i was wondering if this actually locks your phone to the max frequency?? If yes, then that's kinda no point for this??

I also tried to set the range from 250~300 and after a reboot, my frequency clock is at 300, so that sorta proved my comment above........is this suppose to be right?
If you watch your frequency carefully, it shouldn't permanently stay at 850. I don't know the details of how it decides. Your test didn't prove anything in particular except for you it seems to be going to the max after a reboot. That doesn't mean it will stay there forever. You should go back to 850 max and wait a few days while you check it from time to time. I just checked mine (I used kernel-config limits 500 850) and it started at 850 but now is at 500 according to HealthCheck, one of the best N900 diagnostic programs, and it is at 500 MHz. Now it is at 850 MHz. Just as I expect, it changes.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gazzlam View Post
@jcw41

I'm not great with this "package" stuff, but I'm confused. How are you able to get power40, when power37 is the only thing I can see?

I'm assuming this will change again when the new version with the PR1.3 fixes is released?

@richwhite: I've been trying to figure out how to get widgets for that... how did you do it please?
You'll need to have the repositories (catalogues) "extras-testing" and/or "extras-devel" enabled in your app manager, as power40 is currently only to be found in one of these. But please keep in mind that this version is still in a development/testing phase, the "official" stable version is currently power37 in the "extras" repository.

As far as releasing the version with the PR 1.3 fixes is concerned, my assumption is that those fixes will (first?) be implemented in the stable power37 version, hence my question to Titan.

Last edited by jcw1; 2010-10-27 at 13:00.

Can I just confirm that if I update to PR1.3 I will not be able to overclock at the moment? By overclocking I mean simply installing the kernel for power users and the settings off the repos, I shall probably just wait in that case...

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ St. Paul, MN
Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
Can I just confirm that if I update to PR1.3 I will not be able to overclock at the moment? By overclocking I mean simply installing the kernel for power users and the settings off the repos, I shall probably just wait in that case...
You can overclock...head back to post 4867 by Titan and follow thread forward, that should get you where you need to go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sphinx780 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by Gazzlam View Post
@jcw41

I'm not great with this "package" stuff, but I'm confused. How are you able to get power40, when power37 is the only thing I can see?
37 is latest version in extras
40 is latest version in extras-devel

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
I had no problems with reinstalling and overclocking after PR 1.3.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ cambridge,england
im on pr 1.3, i installed advanced kernel and it works fine but i do have a question ,if i use the deinstall button in the apps menu does it reset the kernal to the pr 1.3 version or the unmodified version of the power kernel which is pr 1.2?

What is the correct way to upgrade to "1.3" when using the power kernel? Do i need to deinstall kernal-power first, then upgrade, then reinstall, or do i just upgrade and reinstall?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ThePooBurner View Post
What is the correct way to upgrade to "1.3" when using the power kernel? Do i need to deinstall kernal-power first, then upgrade, then reinstall, or do i just upgrade and reinstall?
You can just do the OTA update without uninstalling. Or you can uninstall first then update. Doesn't matter, either way you will then be running the stock PR1.3 kernel and will need to reinstall the power kernel to overclock.

However...You will not be able to just simply reinstall the power kernel. It will fail due to some leftovers not erased by the PR1.3 update. To reinstall, you must first uninstall the power kernel packages. Do not try to uninstall from the app manager - it will fail. You can uninstall by either clicking the uninstall icon in the app tray (slightly risky) or by following the manual deinstallation instructions found here (safe):
http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#Deinstallation
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
You can just do the OTA update without uninstalling. Or you can uninstall first then update. Doesn't matter, either way you will then be running the stock PR1.3 kernel and will need to reinstall the power kernel to overclock.

However...You will not be able to just simply reinstall the power kernel. It will fail due to some leftovers not erased by the PR1.3 update. To reinstall, you must first uninstall the power kernel packages. Do not try to uninstall from the app manager - it will fail. You can uninstall by either clicking the uninstall icon in the app tray (slightly risky) or by following the manual deinstallation instructions found here (safe):
http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#Deinstallation
Does anyone have tried this?

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom