Notices

Hi all,

Today tracker stopped working on my N900. Neither the Media Player nor the pictures application will show anything whatsoever.
I tried doing a ''tracker-processes -r'' and ''tracker-processes --hard-reset'' in XTerminal and rebooting the phone, but neither fixed the issue.
How do I go about debugging this without formatting the phone?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I think you would be best served by removing your tracker database and then letting trackerd rebuild it from scratch.

Try this tracker reset script from this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...restart&page=5

I believe I broke something serious, as tracker won't start up anymore it seems. ıt deletes all the database files, but doesn't start to rebuilt them it seems

What do you mean when you say that tracker won't start up anymore? What happens when you type trackerd in the X-terminal?

X Terminal ''freezes'' when I type that

What I mean by ''not starting up'' is, that media player shows 0 tracks and stays like that

I don't think the X-terminal is freezing, it's just running trackerd in the foreground. Try this form X-terminal:

nohup trackerd&

(note: The nohup let's this process remain running even after you close the xterm that launched it and the "&" symbol moves this to the background so you can run more commands without having to open a new terminal windows. You really should NOT have to re-run trackerd by hand as it will eventually start on it's own or start automatically after a reboot, but just for the sake of argument and to speed things up go ahead)

Then type:

ps -ef|grep tracker

Look for any listed results for tracker. This will confirm that it's running. If it's running, just let it index. It could take a few hours to do a complete re-write.

Last edited by cddiede; 2010-09-15 at 16:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Wow!

You are lucky to have no tracker! No that behemoth who eats CPU/GPU/memory resource after any click.

Unfortunately I dıdn't have a chance to do that, because the phone totally went crazy and I had to reflash either way Thanks for your efforts ^.^

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Costa Rica
So, when i reboot my n900, even after flashing , the trackerd start to run again eating most of my cpu usage!!

What ca I do in this case?

If you reset your tracker database, then tracker has to re-index everything you have. That takes a little time and CPU. Same is true if you copy new stuff to the phone.

To see what tracker's doing at a given moment, you can run the tracker-status command via X-terminal.