Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I have successfully repartitioned the device to increase the home partition how much I want. But I need testers before I submit it to the wiki. And maybe someone with more knowledge can fix a bit the process. Here's a link: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55549
So far 3 thanks but no replies. I have only tested this myself.
first of all, I suggest merging your new thread into this thread.

Some of the methods I described on
http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning_the_flash
no longer work on PR1.2 as it is impossible to boot w/o /home.

An alternative method w/o reflashing could be:
* delete MyDocs partition
* create new home at the beginning of the free space
* copy old home to new home
* set old home's type to unknown
* reboot
* delete old home and create new MyDocs,
make sure MyDocs is partition 1 in the table (even though it's 2nd in the logical layout)

I always use sfdisk as I couldn't make fdisk align the partitions to multiples of 64K,
which is important for flash performance. It's also much easier to swap the table order with sfdisk.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Ok how do I merge it? Or only a mod can do it?

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Hi!

i made another 2 partitions, but why it does not show up when i type df -h?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Ok how do I merge it? Or only a mod can do it?
Done. Unfortunately, it merges chronologically (time posted.)

I've merged it to post #188 on page 19.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Upon swapping the home and MyDocs partitions with each other, I have noticed how much nicer it would be if the 2gig Vfat partition was mounted to another folder within MyDocs such as .documents or such since so many programs put their large cache folders within MyDocs (gpodder). How would I go about that? The fact that fstab gets rewritten kind of throws me. Is there a script somewhere to adjust?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Guys, first:

AWESOME! Swear to God I was really excited to read this. Hacking and slashing at limitations at its best. Congratulations, really!

And just a question: do you guys envisage a future where it would be possible to repartition the internal memory so as to install other OSs in it? Say, NITDroid? Has anybody tried it? Is it possible as of today? Would multi-boot work on such a partition scheme?

Once again, thank you for all the effort you guys have been putting into this (ruskie, titan, guy with the chinese name I couldn't possibly type on my lowly western keyboard, and all the others. Far out!).

Last edited by Bobbe; 2010-08-31 at 17:45.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Nothing? Was really hoping someone had already tried this =///

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
I am also searching for ways to repartition /home/ to 6 Gigabytes (because 2gig is not enough, I'm removing apps everday and I have lots of free space on MyDocs. I think It's stupid.) without reflashing, but I'm stuck :|

Any news about this?

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
I am also searching for ways to repartition /home/ to 6 Gigabytes (because 2gig is not enough, I'm removing apps everday and I have lots of free space on MyDocs. I think It's stupid.) without reflashing, but I'm stuck :|

Any news about this?
I've just submitted a new solution to the wiki which should allow you to do that:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning..._compatible.29
You just need to adjust the partition table to make /home bigger and MyDocs smaller.

You will lose the content of MyDocs, but that folder is easy to backup (copy 'n paste). All your settings etc will be kept.
Please note I've applied that method to a cleanly PR1.3 reflashed device, though the method should work on a 'dirty' device as well.

Also possible: full eMMC as ext3 /home (with MyDocs as loopback file) + MicroSD as swap =

Last edited by iDont; 2010-10-29 at 15:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ mauritius
Originally Posted by iDont View Post
I've just submitted a new solution to the wiki which should allow you to do that:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning..._compatible.29
You just need to adjust the partition table to make /home bigger and MyDocs smaller.

You will lose the content of MyDocs, but that folder is easy to backup (copy 'n paste). All your settings etc will be kept.
Please note I've applied that method to a cleanly PR1.3 reflashed device, though the method should work on a 'dirty' device as well.

Also possible: full eMMC as ext3 /home (with MyDocs as loopback file) + MicroSD as swap =
Thanks a lot for this! I was just wondering whether this could brick your device..?