Updated the firmware successfully using ovi suite.

Have tried with and without power kernel, either way I am now only getting about 7 hours battery life.

Previous to this I was getting up to 36 hours with some talk time in there.

Any ideas feel free to throw them this way...having to carry 2 spare batteries is not my idea of a good time.

Not sure if perhaps re-flashing from the firmware image would help but as I said...reflash succeeded and went smoothly so maybe there is something else.

Last edited by bandario; 2010-10-30 at 07:11.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
applications, applications, applications
(including widgets, tweaks etc.)

Start digging. User search. Loads of threads about how to find misbehaving apps. If this is too hard and you do not have time then make backup to desktop pc of N900 and flash emmc+rootfs (from maemo.org wiki more info) and test if factory default device without any apps lasts longer than 7 hours. If not then you have HW defect and you can send it to Nokia*.

* of course everything depends on what you do with device but if it lasted before update over 7 hours with certain usage scenario it should last also with newest pr 1.3.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
When you were PR1.2, did you have the hildon-desktop to fix the catorise bug ?
If you did, PR1.3 reverts it back.

The Following User Says Thank You to scyzor For This Useful Post:
I'm seeing a similar change in battery drain since PR 1.3. I don't know what you mean with that hildon desktop fix, but I did have mymenu installed, but uninstalled that because it was incompatible with PR 1.3. This broke the app menu and most shortcuts on the desktops. (At least, I'm assuming uninstalling mymenu was what broke it.)

So I went and installed catorise, which fixed the application startup issue. Could it be caterise which is causing the memory drain?

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I have the same problem and I haven't ever installed catorise.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
hmm my battery lasts even more with pr 1.3 ?? it is so much more stable right now, and THAT with 40 apps installed xd i dont have any problems.. it should be an app ?? try to look with conky, maybe one of the apps is using ur cpu constantly..

otherwise just backup ur apps and reflash with 1.3 + emmc it tooked me 20 minutes in total

The Following User Says Thank You to Psycho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by bandario View Post
Not sure if perhaps re-flashing from the firmware image would help but as I said...reflash succeeded and went smoothly so maybe there is something else.
If you used OVI suite you have NOT flashed your phone, you have updated it.

To flash, use flasher3.5, follow the updating wiki, make sure you backup everyrhing first.

This should fix your battery life issue as I guarentee you it's Nokia's craptastic excuse for pc software messing up your install.

I have had issues with ovi suite and pc suite with pretty much every nokia i have owned.

For those moaning about catorise, try downloading one of the modified hildon-desktops. It's a well known and documented bug with menu directores, probably why the more menu was removed in pr1.2.

Matans version gives you up to 9 desktops.
Titans makes scrolling usable.
Both fix the menu power drain issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I had reflashed firmware (but not emmc) with flasher3.5 from GNU/Linux (64 bits) after upgrading OTA because I had a problem will hanging calls:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=121

I supose too that the problem is in a buggy aplication, but with htop i don't see any aplication consuming too much cpu. Just now, the more consuming is htop with 5%, and the total is about 10% of cpu, 140Mb RAM, 72Mb Swap. 151 tasks, 1 running. Load average: 0,09 0,06 0,09, Uptime:54 min (I have just turn it on, because it turned off with batery empty.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
i have updated my hildon-desktop (using the one posted by mohammadag) and i am still experiencing a battery drain after using 3g. the battery drains even after i disconnect and switch back to 2g. i havent got a chance yet to see if running tracker-processes -t makes a difference. I had originally upgraded to pr1.3 using the ovi suite but later flashed the firmware (but not emmc)

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
install battery eye and try to work out whats killing the battery

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post: