Active Topics

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So I think it's not unreasonable to make a gigantic 'rants' thread, or even a subforum for this =p Because it's just human nature if they want to vent out their frustrations.
People venting is not the issue.

The issue is that EVERY thread turns into a vent thread. It is the same complaints over & over. Even more fun is if people become increasingly snide in the complaints. At some point, why not just say it to Nokia. If you are attempting to communicate with them and they are not reciprocating and you want to let others know via this forum, fine. That, however is different from petty, snide TROLLING.

If a poster reads the title of this post and has bad things to say, why bother reading, let alone posting. It's not for you - move on. Selling the device then coming back on to this site to constant recount your displeasure and choice to sell the device makes as much sense ketchup on cookies....well, potentially far less sense depending on the cookie.

This becomes a problem when you want to do something other than rant.

I stopped coming to the sight on a daily basis as much myself because of it.

I'm an actor, and I separated myself from the acting community for a while due to something called "actor b!tching": same complaints, all the time, nothing done to rectify. I had to get away from it because, as much as I hated it, every time it started, I would find myself contributing.

I don't want to find myself contributing to "N900 b!tching". If I'm that displeased, I'm going to sell it. Maybe I'd even start a "people who got pissed and sold their N900 forum".

So, I got tired of reading all the negative a couple months ago.

And you know what happened? I started using the device in a way that complimented what it did well. Then I check back here and - lo and behold - people had addressed some of the problems because they'd come here to contribute instead of complain.

So - vent, sure. But, at some point - IF YOU'RE NOT HERE TO TROLL - you put it complaints in one of the many threads that already exist for it.

There now exists a "cheer" thread (more than one actually - they just all get fill with hate), so why don't we let this exist as such as it was intended.

As of 1.3, my N runs better, responds to CPUFreqUI requests without protest and doesn't take a year to load app managers anymore. It also tends to be very uncooperative when I try to demonstrate to people what the cellphone death grip is (though that's not exactly new).

This device could be just as stable and "just work". But it probably wouldn't be able to do any of the stuff that I like that it can do.

ergo - cheer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cWj For This Useful Post:
I am thinking positively...about my next phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to techngro For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
1. I agree that it would be nice to have more positive atmosphere in this forum.

2. I also accept the fact that Nokia, n900 and maemo/MeeGo are not doing as 'well' as initially/commonly 'expected'; thus the deluge of complaints in this forum.

There's no way to reason/rationalize one by one against all the individuals that are not happy with nokia/n900/maemo-MeeGo. You can't change their mind to be happy without addressing the actual issues. (Yes, yes, it's great that you personally like maemo/MeeGo/the n900/Nokia.)

So I think it's not unreasonable to make a gigantic 'rants' thread, or even a subforum for this =p Because it's just human nature if they want to vent out their frustrations.
In the end, we don't need positive thinking. What we need is positive doing from Nokia We need PR2.0 - NOW, N9 - NOW, super-hyper integrated IM/phone/skype/FB/TW that reads my mind - NOW. Hell, we need a phone that does all kinds of imaginable and unimaginable things, and it should anticipate my needs without me having to lift a finger, and we need it NOW.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
In the end, we don't need positive thinking. What we need is positive doing from Nokia We need PR2.0 - NOW, N9 - NOW, super-hyper integrated IM/phone/skype/FB/TW that reads my mind - NOW. Hell, we need a phone that does all kinds of imaginable and unimaginable things, and it should anticipate my needs without me having to lift a finger, and we need it NOW.
It also doesn't help to stroke your N900 ego hoping for a erection that everyone will clap and cheer for. I agree--Nokia needs to make some RIGHT moves and, as far as the forums go, it helps to actually have people behave like the ITT forums used to and offer up some constructive solutions instead of telling people they bought the wrong things, should have done more research or telling them that they're stupid because they can't figure out how to tweak the device to do something they want or expected. In the old days, we used to answer these rants, rave and complaints with solutions. Not so much anymore.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The thing is that most raves and complaints are not constructive, I mean these posters don't really want solutions they just come here to complain.

I'd happily help someone who posts a proper description of their problem and maybe some steps they've taken to solve it. Normally this is not the case but put in this way "damn it nokia ur phone sucks there's no mms!!!" I have done lots of support on various Linux forums and it's a fairly common attitude in many places. I used to care about those people thinking they could be helped but nowadays I don't care, I think we (in the Linux community) are better off without them anyway.

Originally Posted by barzam View Post
The thing is that most raves and complaints are not constructive, I mean these posters don't really want solutions they just come here to complain.

I'd happily help someone who posts a proper description of their problem and maybe some steps they've taken to solve it. Normally this is not the case but put in this way "damn it nokia ur phone sucks there's no mms!!!" I have done lots of support on various Linux forums and it's a fairly common attitude in many places. I used to care about those people thinking they could be helped but nowadays I don't care, I think we (in the Linux community) are better off without them anyway.
Even a complaint like that one has a constructive answer to give. Perhaps you're just burnt out and need a vacation. Please--go away and have one for a while and come back ready to hear such things repeated because you will hear rants and raves often, especially when there are new people joining up. Welcoming them with, "OH MY GOD SHUT UP WITH YOUR RANTS! Go buy an iPhone!" isn't really constructive either.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I'm not saying we're supposed to be rude -- that's even as bad as posting rants and complaints. What I'm saying is that people need to understand that in order to receive help (for free on a forum like this) you need to put some effort into it yourself.

About the vacation, you're probably right. And I have been on one since spring. What I realized, though, is that the Linux community does not need more users to be viable. We have achieved the critical mass for HW vendors to acknowledge Linux as a platform worth supporting. In that perspective you don't really need to _convince_ the ranters to stay. Get my point?

I'm not saying we're supposed to be rude -- that's even as bad as posting rants and complaints. What I'm saying is that people need to understand that in order to receive help (for free on a forum like this) you need to put some effort into it yourself.

About the vacation, you're probably right. And I have been on one since spring. What I realized, though, is that the Linux community does not need more users to be viable. We have achieved the critical mass for HW vendors to acknowledge Linux as a platform worth supporting. In that perspective you don't really need to _convince_ the ranters to stay. Get my point?

Originally Posted by barzam View Post

So two wrongs make a right? What if you become the very thing you're complaining about? After all--you are beginning to rant about ranting. More importantly, you are no longer participating constructively to people who are, in fact, frustrated or having problems--or are simply new.

To you point about enough Linux adoption--are you kidding me? heheh

Also--please delete one of those double-posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
If the N900 did not have so many issues there would be much less complaining. My N900 is stuck in the US for now but there have been so many threads with issues after PR 1.3 that I am not even sure I will update to 1.3 when the device is in my hands. Such things should not be so. You do not cure 10 bugs and introduce 8 new ones. An update should just be curing bugs. And that does not mention the many bugs that are not going to be fixed in Maemo 5 at all anyway.

Also people need to understand a few things:

1. That our N900 does not have a particular issue does not mean others do not have the issue. People are always o quick to dismiss issues others are having.

2. People spent a lot of money on the N900 expecting things to work and it is human nature to want to vent when you find disappointments on something you bought. It is not like they were given the N900 for free or paid £5. And you did not do your research is usually a daft answer. No review would have told you that e,g, the media player does not have a real random mode. Only way to find out all these many issues with the N900 would be owning one. I tried a thread listing loads of issues potential buyers should be aware of and of course I was labelled as a troll.

3. Many people complaining are attacked visiously by Nokia lovers. However, criticism is in all our best interest. If all that happens here and other related sites is a Nokia love fest Nokia will never realise that there are issues with what they are doing and just continue to operate as normal and continue to release devices with bugs. Let us save love fests and no criticism for iphones where you are told how the device should work. I want to be able to say what is wrong with my Nokia without being attacked and Nokia needs to be aware of problems with their devices so they can fix them.

All in all as much as I hate the N900 for all its bugs it is still the phone I have loved the most due to all the crazy mods. However, not everyone can just put all the bugs to the side. That is why there is a lot of nefativity. People are not just trolling they are genuinely frustrated.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post: