I tried, but its still the same; maybe that bugfix has been included (yet?). I did get portrait mode through, so thats nice..

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

solved, it was an issue with my work e-mail server, this bugfix wasnt required, thanks for trying to help though.

Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
tried this, unzipping the tarball gave no errors but didnt seem to update. when i check the version it says '3.2.13-3+0m5'. any thoughts? i made sure i was root and was in the proper MyDocs folter when i unzipped the tarball
Jerryfreak,
Have you resolved this problem? I think I have encountered the same thing - no error message at install, but version still stays at 3.2.13. Also, I don't see the drastic performance improvement as others have said....

same problem here. ran the command and did not get any error message. Reboot phone then run dpkg -i|grep modest still said '3.2.13-3+0m5'. Any idea?

Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
tried this, unzipping the tarball gave no errors but didnt seem to update. when i check the version it says '3.2.13-3+0m5'. any thoughts? i made sure i was root and was in the proper MyDocs folter when i unzipped the tarball

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
The tar.gz is just an archive, like .zip file. When you unpack it to root directory, you are in fact just overwriting some modest related system files. It has no effect on package database, so dpkg will not know anything about new files. It was intentional, because modest is part of pr 1.2, updating it with normal methods will cause problems installing other packages later.

kool. thanks for clarification

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
has anyone used the baxyp modest fix since the pr1.3 update?

seems the new modest updates have made a really nice change, but not sure if it is needed to do the modest fix that was made here.

please advise if you know what the differences between the two are now and if they have just implemented baxyp's fix into the firmware.

thanks.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
Seems that modest from PR1.3 finally addresses all the issues I had a fix for, so there is no need to install my package anymore. Even the problem, where mail was redundantly checked for more than once, has been eliminated (or at least improved to the point of not being a real issue, there is still some unnecessary login/logout taking place).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to baxyp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by baxyp View Post
Seems that modest from PR1.3 finally addresses all the issues I had a fix for, so there is no need to install my package anymore. Even the problem, where mail was redundantly checked for more than once, has been eliminated (or at least improved to the point of not being a real issue, there is still some unnecessary login/logout taking place).
Hi,
could edit your first post and add this info for everyone to notice straight away that it is not useful anymore with PR 1.3.
Thank you for your efforts with modest.

The Following User Says Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post: