Active Topics

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I should work fine I am sure.<br />
I have tried the MobileHotspot (with the custom Kernel - not the paid app) on my N900 and 2 friendfs had tethered their iPhones on my Wifi network and done facetime with tier iPhones with each other. Oh boy you should have seen their faces light up. They couldnt believe that the N900 aloowed then to do facetime on their iPhones when their iPhones didnt allow them (over 3G).

So its a simple Wifi network that is created - so any device with a wifi should be able to jump on on it (theoritically).
Instead, unfortunately, the Tab doesn't see the mobilehotspot wifi cloud when scanning for available networks. It's the same problem I found when testing with a much more primitive Chinese tablet with android 1.6.
My Nokia E51 phone, instead, sees the mobilehotspot network and uses it jolly good for browsing the 'net.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
By the way I have unlimited data allowance on my N900 with 02. If I get the Tab what is to stop me from sticking my 02 sim into the Tab and continuing to benefit from my unlimited allowance?

Or does the size of the Tab mean it will by nature eat up much more data allowance than the N900 with the result that 02 will say I am not complying with fair usage?

Or would 02 be able to tell automatically that I am using my sim in a full sized internet tablet and say my data allowance does not apply?

Or does the Tab use a different type of data from the N900? For example if I have unlimited blackberry tariff, if I stick the sim in an N900 and use the internet I would be charged for it because the blackberry tariff only applies to blackberries.

If I get the Tab I don't want to have to pay for two data allowances, especially since the data allowed on the Tab tariffs I have seen have been quite low but at high monthly cost.

Of course if I can use my 02 sim in the Tab I would still have to work out a way to easily and conveniently pick up my calls.
That's a good question, and one that I can't answer with certainty. However I would guess that you would be able to use the SIM in your Tab with little concern (unless the usage agreement specifically forbids it, or is otherwise tied to the N900).

Of course making/placing calls is another matter. Depending on your phone frequency, the Tab may be less convenient to use in this regard.

Another option is to do a USB/BT tether for mobile access on the Tab. I hear that some are having trouble using the N900 as a WiFi hotspot.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Instead, unfortunately, the Tab doesn't see the mobilehotspot wifi cloud when scanning for available networks. It's the same problem I found when testing with a much more primitive Chinese tablet with android 1.6.
My Nokia E51 phone, instead, sees the mobilehotspot network and uses it jolly good for browsing the 'net.
I wonder why this is the case. Does it have to do with signal strength? Or is the Tab only tuned to seeing hotspot with a specific encryption settings? Is it something else?

It would be a shame if you couldn't tether it to the N900.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I wonder why this is the case. Does it have to do with signal strength? Or is the Tab only tuned to seeing hotspot with a specific encryption settings? Is it something else?

It would be a shame if you couldn't tether it to the N900.
For sure it isn't due to signal strength, because the two devices were close, and at the same distance of about 20cm the E51 had a perfect reception. And the mobilehotspot signal was not encrypted.

With a wifi scanner app on the Tab I'm able to see the mobilehotspot network, with a fairly strong signal, but when I press the widget on the app to connect, I am brought to the android wifi setup menu, where the mobilehotspot is lacking. When I manually enter the ssid, the Tab reports that the network isn't there.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
For sure it isn't due to signal strength, because the two devices were close, and at the same distance of about 20cm the E51 had a perfect reception. And the mobilehotspot signal was not encrypted.

With a wifi scanner app on the Tab I'm able to see the mobilehotspot network, with a fairly strong signal, but when I press the widget on the app to connect, I am brought to the android wifi setup menu, where the mobilehotspot is lacking. When I manually enter the ssid, the Tab reports that the network isn't there.
This is definitely a software bug, and is worth filing a bug report with Google.

For some reason, certain devices (incl. bluetooth headsets) don't work despite the same protocol. I suspect there may be slight variation in the protocols that Android isn't understanding.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Hi peeps. Well I decided to get a tab, but am now trying to figure out how to tether the tablet to my N900.
Have a look at Using your N900 as a router

Last edited by andyfrommk; 2010-11-02 at 18:18. Reason: I lerned to spel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andyfrommk For This Useful Post:
Woah! Opera mobile for Android without hardware acceleration is already amazingly fast (~4m:00):

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/15/opera-mobile-android/

The public beta may not have hardware acceleration, but already it's amazingly fast on the Galaxy S. I expect that it will also cook on the Galaxy Tab. The final version will likely be flawless.

Even though Opera Mobile doesn't have hardware acceleration, the fast scrolling experience is enough to make it my default browser -- unless it has some annoying feature that I'm not aware of, of course.

Come to think about it, on the NIT, opera mobile uses a custom keyboard. This is fine as the NIT onscreen keyboard is anything but stellar. However, on Android, I think I would rather stick with the default keyboard that use the opera mobile keyboard, so here's hoping that this is not a problem.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-11-02 at 19:05.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
<br />
<br />

This could be done with mobilehotspot. Or joikuspot if you're in the mood for a paid app.
I might try later with wife's Tab to see if it gets the wifi cloud from my N900.
Thanks for the response but I was meaning to use the bluetooth connection as I don't want to broadcast quite so widely & that approach eats the battery.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by andyfrommk View Post
Have a look at Using your N900 as a router
Hi Andy,
I've got the bluetooth mods for extra bluetooth protocols but it's more a case of getting the tablet to talk properly. If I still haven't sussed it by the next LUG meet then it's a subject for discussion until the beer makes such things less important!! lol

This is very interesting: It's a android running windows like a traditional desktop OS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5M42OLuTsI

Now, the implementation looks as though its ballz, but I admire the work, and like the fact that this type of thing is possible. I would much prefer connected layout panes as opposed to floating windows -- something similar to the blender UI. I end up arranging floating windows like this anyhow.

I guess it's a good thing the UI is resolution independent, eh? Otherwise an idea like this couldn't work.

Perhaps it could be made into an app? Multiview has a very nice ring to it, and on a 1024x600 screen, it may be useful in certain scenarios.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy