pykake segfaul in 1.3 firmware.

Nokia-N900-51-1:~# /opt/pykake/pykake.py
Segmentation fault

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by barchan View Post
pykake segfaul in 1.3 firmware.

Nokia-N900-51-1:~# /opt/pykake/pykake.py
Segmentation fault
Yeah, I know, it is in this code and I have tracked it in QApplication, but I don't know how to fix it:

Code:
print "a"
app = QApplication(sys.argv)
print "b"
MiscFunctions().loadSettings()
print "c"
MiscFunctions().controlLircd("start")
print "d"

main = MainWindow()
print "e"
if USEFULLSCREEN == True:
    print "f" 
    main.showFullScreen()
else:
    print "g"
    main.show()
print "h"
app.exec_()
MiscFunctions().exitFunction()
(The print commands are not in released version)

The problem with Pr 1.3 is solved and pyKake should now work, except startup may be a little slow (At least it was when I tested python scripts in my device), I'm not sure if this slowdown is in released application, but if it is it maybe caused by Pr 1.3 or bad coding by myself, or it is just in my device, but I will track it down as soon as possible and do what I can for it. But for now, be patient, it takes some time (yeah I know, multiple seconds) to start, but after that it should work.

Oh jeah, version rised up from 0.7.0 to 0.7.1

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
Great. It starts now. from the moment I press the program icon to the moment I press Done for the message it is 3 secs and then instantly I have the buttons. I do not find that slow at all.
I don't have my camera at the moment to test it.

Update: works fine with my canon dslr, although It did not seem to work until after I installed shutter also.

Last edited by evan; 2010-11-02 at 14:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
pykake is great stuff. it used to work until the recent updates. noticed it first 1 version before 1.3 was released. it does not "click" - shutter doesn't work. I am using pentax. shutter widget works fine for me.

any idea?
thanks

Originally Posted by tungram View Post
pykake is great stuff. it used to work until the recent updates. noticed it first 1 version before 1.3 was released. it does not "click" - shutter doesn't work. I am using pentax. shutter widget works fine for me.

any idea?
thanks
If I understand you correctly, you updated pyKake before Pr 1.3 (the new version of pyKake was 0.7.0) and it worked. Then you updated the firmware in N900 to Pr 1.3 and it stoped working at all (the window won't load etc)? In this case, just update to 0.7.1 and it should work. You can see the current version from AppManager => Remove => long press over pyKake => Info. The version 0.7.1 is in extras-devel.

Else If you already had 0.7.1, and it runs correctly (you see the tabbed window), then first check that your settings are correct, so go to the settings dialog and check that you have "Pentax and Samsung" selected (yes they both work with same remote). This lose of old settings is caused by change from GTK to Qt. In that change I also changed the settings saving system (from GConf to QConfig), so the settings from previous pyKake (0.6) won't work with new (Qt) version, you had to set them again in setting dialog, which should had been popped up in the first run.

If not one of those then try these:
1. Check that does the IR sensor send the signal (take your camera and watch trough the live view the sensor while you press the shutter button, it should blink).

2. Run in terminal python /opt/pykake/pykake.py , use it and then post the outcomings here.

ok, obviously I did not explain it well.

when I first installed pykake in September it worked.
Then one (or two) pykake updates before 1.3 was released
it did not work anymore.
Then the new version 0.7.1-1 was released. I tried again.
Still doesn't work.

Program starts
Settings are correct
Test of infared port with the shutter widget was good.
Shutter widget triggers my Pentax to take a picture

started pykake from shell as you suggested:
>irsend: could not connect to socket
>irsend: connection refused

Well, maybe I messed up my system. But then, why can i take
a picture with the shutter widget?
Strange

The Following User Says Thank You to tungram For This Useful Post:
It's looks like it fails to start LIRCd at the beginning of the application, the output should look like this:
python /opt/pykake/pykake.py
> Unsupported date format character at 1 (%-d.%-m.)
> Starting lirc daemon: lircd.
> Stopping lirc daemon: irexec lircmd lircd.
And I think I know where the problem is. There is rootsh instead of sudo (used in debugging) in Lirc controlling commands, and this maybe the cause of the problem. And this was already in 0.7.0 (which didn't work for you, probably because you don't have rootsh installed, right?), so it was all my fault, sorry I will fix it right now and kick the update to the autobuilder, so it should work after that.

Thank you for finding and inform about this bug! Otherwise it would have stayed there long, because it didn't cause problems for me (or anyone else, who had rootsh installed)

PS, I think this is also the reason causing slow startup (up to 10 seconds, at least for me), because now it "only" takes about 3 seconds (let see what I can do for that)

And the next thing I start to work is debugging system to get some "log" it has wait too long.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yabba For This Useful Post:
And the second update for today:

- Replacing reboot notification from startup with zenity notification in post-install (zenity new in dependencies).
- New help dialog.
- Long text entrys moved to separate files.
- Added some prints to ease bugtracking

Thank you Yabba
now it works