Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Devon, UK
I just suffered the touchscreen failure problem too, after 6 months of trouble free operation with a screen protector fitted.

Initially I blamed EasyDebian, as I'd just installed it and updated it with apt. However, even after leaving the battery out for 30 minutes and booting into NitDroid the touchscreen failed to work.

I was just preparing to reflash when I remembered this thread; peeling back three-quarters of the screen protector and smoothing it down again fixed it for me. The only problem I have now is several bits of dust behind the screen protector.

Thanks everybody for documenting your experiences here and saving me rolling back to a month old backup to no avail.

11ac9, if you're getting the click & vibe your touchscreen must be working to some extent. I suspect that the screen calibration is way off, so your clicks don't press where you're aiming. I'm surprised a reflash doesn't fix that.

Hello Folks,

Its been 9 months since i have been using the Nokia n900. Since last 3 days I have experience the following problem.

Touch Screen is not responsive "most of the times". This was after the installation of Service Packs for "Flashlight and Podcast" Applications. It did work fine after the installation (I just sent an sms after this and went to sleep). However, next day the screen stopped working. Sometimes it does respond. But the response is erratic. It does not respond as required.

My efforts-
- Uninstalled all the additional apps, as i assumed the device was slow. No luck.
- Flashed the device, its back to the old look and feel. However, the screen is still behaves in an erratic manner.

Did anyone get this issue resolved by not sending the device to Nokia Support?

Any other suggestions?

Regards
Sweekruth

Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
send it back to nokia

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sha Tin, Hong Kong
hmmm,

this is sounding a little familiar. i had a touch screen problem last week. it appeared that the whole top edge of the screen (where the window manager elements are) became unresponsive. I updated to PR1.3 and the issue went away (apart from a little blip later that evening).

My question is this, though: does flashing affect the warranty? do you need to be using the NSU to maintain the warranty?

Hei,

got the same issue...touchscreen is broken.
Played Ur-Quan last night, then put the device away. It lost power over night. After plugging it into the wall to charge and then powering it on, the touchscreen didn't work. Or only worked in a very weird way, see below.

First i thought this may be a software problem (power-kernel and all that gear) and that maybe something went wrong software-side while the battery went flat and the device powered off.

So I tried reflashing the thing (both Fiasco and eMMC)...to no avail.

Since as i understand the flashing wipes everything in / and /home, it can't really be a software problem.

After flashing, i managed to start tscalibrate and it actually recognises the tapping, but sais: "Tap closer to point 1" or somesuch.

Also, i figured that sometimes if you hold one finger on the screen and then tap with another, it registers a touch, but only on the lower edge of the screen. This doesn't always work, though. And also the touch seems to be recognized in a certain screen area, only.

Likewise, if you hold one finger on the screen, and pull the 'touchlock' lever at the same time, it recognizes the touch. But, again, the touch is translated to the lower edge of the screen.

It seems to (sometimes) differentiate between the left and right half of the screen, but that's about as precise as it gets, if at all.

That's about all my findings...and i'm concluding that this is a hardware problem...probably not with the touchscreen itself, but either with the connector or with the controller.

I'm going to send it in under warranty, now.

mine has also become unresponsive but comes back to life if i swipe firmly with my thumb over the top right of the screen.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
I have the same problem screen lights up however touch functions don't work. Would replacing the touchscreen digitizer help?

Last edited by automagic68; 2010-11-22 at 12:23.

Ohh soo much fun....it was in service for a week. I got it back with basically the whole display window and frame replaced...(so they basically confirmed a warranty-covered hardware problem) and it worked...well...for half a day. ;-)

It's got two different issues now...
1) The touch screen often seems to miss the fact that i released the finger. It sometimes get's it 'ages later'. Bloody annoying...about as useful as it not working at all.

2) I seem to have never gotten the keyboard backlight activating in the dark ever since i got it back from service.

Due to some really strange behaviour of the touch screen i'm still wondering if this is a software issue or if it has to go back to the service again. However, it looks more and more like the latter.

What puzzles me the most is that both times (the first time where it stopped working almost completely and now after service) the malfunction started occurring around times where the phone ran out of charge and i powered it up again.

Bloody annoying.

Uh oh. Just had a touch screen problem with mine today. Was working fine then I went on to look up how to get to a road that I couldn't find. Thought I'd try out the Geeps application and it just stopped working while I was using that. Thought 'ok it's having a dicky fit- I'll just restart and it will be back to normal', but after a reboot the touch screen just wont work. Sometimes It's like there is an invisible finger pressed on the screen somewhere, and if I put my finger on it then it kinda jumps around. I cannot get into the settings menu. I can sometimes manage to get a shortcut on the desktop pressed if I hold my fingers on the screen in a random position. The keyboard still works and the hardware buttons all still work. It's all very weird.
This is a replacement device too. Only had it about a month and a half since it got replaced due to the charging port falling out. I don't want to have to send it away for repair/replacement , and be without it AGAIN.
When I searched to see if this problem has occurred before to anyone, as well as this thread, I also found threads where people have had water /alcohol/ some other liquid spilled on it and then these kind of problems started. I haven't had it anywhere near any liquid, but I might try putting it in a 'rice bath' overnight, as this seems to have solved the problem sometimes in the water-damaged ones. Maybe the device I was sent by nokia as a replacement was a water-damage device that they thought they had fixed or something and the problem is just showing up now. Anyway- I will post up the results of that.

Another thing worth trying might be the screen calibrator thing, but getting that downloaded, and installed, then actually starting it will be a problem if the screen isn't working. I could try ctr-shift-x ( is trhat right?) and see if I can do it through x-terminal. Could anyone please put up the exact names of things I would need download ( the new screen calibrator thing) So I can just copy that in to x terminal please? It will be hard to find that kind of stuff without my n900.

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
If the problem started when you were using geeps and you have only recently installed it, try uninstalling it. Just to see. Just an idea.