Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mosh11 View Post
i cant get windows to recognize even Nokia N900 (update mode) to start using one of the options mentioned
If your N900's USB cable is connected to a USB hub, try connecting the cable directly to your PC instead. If you're having trouble even when using a USB port directly on your PC, try a different port. In rare cases, USB ports on the back of the PC can work better than those on the front, for instance.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
before u reflash.... try to shut down your n900... and plug it in usb.... it should apperar as removeable drive .... so u can backup your stuff....

i always had the problem when i didnt flash the emmc-img it ended in a endless rebootloop....

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by dannycamps View Post
This is a great cautionary tale. Don't EVER EVER EVER type anything at a command prompt without at least a little bit of understanding of what it does.

The command you entered essentially said:
remove all directories under /opt recursively and force it to continue even if the OS attempts to stop you

Linux is a very different beast from windows and there are precious few safety nets.

---

At least you can just reflash and restore your last backup (which I am sure you have right??) and you will be back up and running.
Actually, some of the greatest learning experiences are horrible blunders. I learned how to restore from backup more than 20 years ago when I accidentally formatted my work computer hard drive on a weekend when I snuck into work. I had the rest of the weekend to figure it out!

And another time I was in a co-workers office after hours and I accidentally erased a key directory of hers. Also a learning experience, and no one ever knew what happened

THANKS GUYS

DONE YEAAAh flashed PR1.3 and the mighty N900 is back on track

Contacts are there