Active Topics

anybody could help me here why i'm stuck at uboot? I get to the point where uboot says kernel ok on cli but i can't get past that. It's just stuck there and a few seconds the phone shuts off so i can't boot to either meego or maemo so need to reflash. I have tried already 5 times with no luck. What am i missing?

Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post
IMO nitdroid team should seriously consider to support u-boot with their kernel.
Just quick tryied to boot nitdroid with u-boot:

* rebuilt head nitdroid 2.6.28 06 kernel in scratchbox adding MMC and ext2/3/4 support
* copied lib/modules, lib/firmware and /dev from maemo in the nitdroid partition
* booted with args root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait

I may see the little "ANDROID" banner down on the fb console, then the screen clears and the system hangs.

I suppose that some preinit logic has to be moved from maemo/multiboot to the nitdroid partition, but really lack knowledge and time! anyone helping?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicola.mfb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Okay, final reasking of the same question I asked a few posts back (thanks for the answers to the other parts though) will either of these be overridden with a kernel-only flash (I have my guesses, but I'd rather have people who know more about what is counted as a part of the N900 kernel and what isn't by the flasher utilities confirm):

/usr/sbin/fmtxd (<--- My guess is no, because I have a python script [woof] sitting in /usr/bin which did not get erased when I flashed the uboot+power41a.)
/etc/init.d/rcS (<--- This one I really don't know, but my guess is yes?)
/usr/lib/hildon-desktop/fmtx_status_menu_item.so (<--- My guess is no, because the other custom status menu apps [advanced power/interface-switcher, brightness applet, etc] I have all survived uboot+power41 flash just fine.)

Also, what does FMTX faker edit? I know it patches something - is this file also part of the kernel, in so far as the flasher utilities are concerned? (Edit 2: seems like FMTX Faker patches the "FM Transmitter Daemon"... which is, /usr/sbin/fmtxd ? Right?)

Thanks in advanced to those who know the answer and do reply.

- Edit -

Just noticed e-yes' name in the list of people reading this thread. Can this be taken to mean the NITDroid team is taking an interest in seeing what can be done with adding uboot support to NITDroid?

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-11-06 at 20:10. Reason: e-yes is listed as reading this thread.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 1,019 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
>* rebuilt head nitdroid 2.6.28 06 kernel in scratchbox adding MMC and ext2/3/4 support
>* copied lib/modules, lib/firmware and /dev from maemo in the nitdroid partition
>* booted with args root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait

>I may see the little "ANDROID" banner down on the fb console, then the screen clears and the system hangs.
If you have adb installed, run 'adb logcat', it's useful for troubleshooting in Android.

>I suppose that some preinit logic has to be moved from maemo/multiboot to the nitdroid partition,
>but really lack knowledge and time! anyone helping?
Yes, multiboot loads kernel modules (list is in /lib/modules/2.6.28.NIT06/modules.boot file). Solution for problem: load modules from /init.nokia.rc script ('on boot' section).
see also: http://code.google.com/p/nitdroid-v2...s/detail?id=41

>Can this be taken to mean the NITDroid team is taking an interest in seeing what can be done with adding uboot support to NITDroid?
Yes. I've got an idea about combining u-boot and multiboot... instead of flashing, multiboot should write boot.scr for u-boot (and then reboots, as usual).

Last edited by e-yes; 2010-11-06 at 20:42. Reason: formatting

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to e-yes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 1,019 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Btw, any one know why md (memory display) command is broken?
When I type:
>md.w 0x80000000 1
I got only:
0x80000000: []

... and silence ...

P.S. Different addresses are tested, md.b, md.l also.

The Following User Says Thank You to e-yes For This Useful Post:
Question: Everyone other than me, have you installed Power Kernel or Power Kernel Settings before installing Matan's power41? Because it seems that Power Kernel Settings doesn't come with this package (which makes sense - I guess I just assumed it did) - but installing that (at least unless apt-get allows you to force ignoring dependencies, which I'm sure it does) will flash power kernel too. Hence the question: Was I the only one who wasn't on the power kernel after 1.3 who got this uboot+powerkernel+1.3patches?

(If no one answers this or the last above question, I'll just learn through trial and error again, but might as well ask...)

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
I just installed Power Kernel (and Settings) v40 and then installed Matan's u-boot version afterwards...

The Following User Says Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
K. That's what I was afraid of. Looks like I'm due for two kernel reflashes in quick succession if I can't figure out how to get apt-get to ignore the dependency of Power Kernel. Unless, of course, it somehow recognizes the uboot+'power41' as a power kernel... But I doubt it, since that didn't go through the apt-get system.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
It doesn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
*Sigh* Two wearings of NAND, here I come. That's okay. I needed something to motivate myself to upgrade to Matan's power41d anyway.

Tags
power kernel, uboot