Notices

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
Neither KiK nor Whatsapp use the BBM protocol.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
PingChat. Forget using BBM servers. I know a lot of Android and BB and iPhone users that use PingChat, we just need to bridge the gap for us N900'ers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kieron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
PingChat. Forget using BBM servers. I know a lot of Android and BB and iPhone users that use PingChat, we just need to bridge the gap for us N900'ers.
The OP is not asking for an alternative, he wants to use BBM. Pingchat is not BBM nor BBM compatible, and thus is not suitable.

This thread is full of users who don't know what they're talking about.

Blackberry Messenger is NOT AVAILABLE on ANY other platform or devices unless they are built and maintained by RIM. Case closed.

WhatsApp, kik, PingChat are NOT Blackberry Messenger clients. That's it. Stop saying otherwise, because you are WRONG.

If you're confusing BBM with another chat offering, chances are you completely lack the ability to reverse-engineer the protocol and implement it in even the most basic way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Duplicate threads merged.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
For the record, I did not say PingChat was a BBM client. It is only a viable alternative that is BB, Android, and iPhone compatible, because what the OP is asking for is impossible.

OP, I suggest you contact the devs at http://pingchat.com/ if you'd like to help bridge the gap.

Gotta say this thread is one of the most hilarious things I've read. The OP is living in a dream world of he thinks he can achieve this without a lawsuit from RIM. BBM is not available to any device except Blackberry. The logic isn't even sound. What dorm of you are probably referring to is Blackberry Connect, where manufactures use to use Blackberry servers for push email. Even my Nokia E61 had the ability but not BBM. The closest chance would be to ask the developers of WhatsApp or PingChat to port their software over to the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to aahatimy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
I don't see why we should even bother porting those apps. If blackberry users want to extend their contacts, they'd use other known protocols we have in pidgin/empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scyzor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
hmpf, finally someone who thinks exactly the same way as i am.
But I dont think you can port the BBM. But , Whatsapp or PinChat! could be possible..

here is a mail btw i sended 2 whatsapp;

Me->
Hi whatsapp,

is it possible that you port the whatsapp application in QT? Symbian^3 is coming out, also Meego of moblin and nokia, en there are many n900 users with maemo.

All those operating systems are running QT. Its just an idea?

I would very preciate it if you take action.

With kind regards,

maemo/Android/meego user

Answer;

QT is under consideration for 2011. We want to support as many phones as possible and we understand that QT is pretty rich in experience.

Hope this helps,

--b

So maybe if OP contact Whatsapp about it. There could be a way to port it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psycho For This Useful Post:

Tags
messaging, no you aren't, pingchat