You said it right there, purchased ACCESS to the beta. Not purchasing source code, not purchasing binary packages and not paying for licensing.

A donation was made and access to a private closed-doors project was provided. If no more tools, ports, drivers or similar projects are ever publicly announced - you know why.

There's a reason people, me included, have not created [ANNOUNCE] threads for every application port, source mod or hack made to the N900. The community takes it, runs with it - some asshat breaks or doesn't understand it - and the author is left holding the bag.

Sorry, but if you can't figure it out for yourself, you probably have no right in the first place.

Last edited by hawaii; 2010-11-07 at 22:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
You said it right there, purchased ACCESS to the beta. Not purchasing source code, not purchasing binary packages and not paying for licensing.

A donation was made and access to a private closed-doors project was provided. If no more tools, ports, drivers or similar projects are ever publicly announced - you know why.

There's a reason people, me included, have not created [ANNOUNCE] threads for every application port, source mod or hack made to the N900. The community takes it, runs with it - some asshat breaks or doesn't understand it - and the author is left holding the bag.

Sorry, but if you can't figure it out for yourself, you probably have no right in the first place.
I get what you're saying, but he does have a point - the fact it was purchasable through an online store at a fixed price, etc.

If it really were donationware, you'd be able to donate however much you wished for access.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kieron For This Useful Post:
It's a closed project. It's a beta. It was privately provided to users. Wanna know the selection process?

1). If you donated, you'd get it.

2). If you were a useful contributor to the project, you'd get it.

3). If you did neither, you'd get it, eventually, for completely free.

This is like some Red Hen **** going on here.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ South Africa
So whats the status of the project today?
Debian

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Ele-Mental View Post
So whats the status of the project today?
I guess thanks to the pirating, both the forum pages on neopwn (no, I will not post link) is dead, and the guys not responding to emails.
Thanks a lot for supporting the project, especially to those of you who dosent have a clue to what neopwn even is!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It's a closed project. It's a beta. It was privately provided to users. Wanna know the selection process?

1). If you donated, you'd get it.

2). If you were a useful contributor to the project, you'd get it.

3). If you did neither, you'd get it, eventually, for completely free.

This is like some Red Hen **** going on here.
Yep, and thanks to the I....S who just want a pirated version, and doesnt have the faintest clue to what it even is, the project seems CLOSED at the moment.
Good work you guys, keep it going!

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
If you donated,
You should really look up what a 'donation' is.

This was a purchase, not a donation.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Well, the thing is unless someone bothers to bring a legal challenge against NeoPwnv2 as a violation of the GPL, I don't see the questions being answered. I think he's made himself a lot of room to maneuver. The release is "postponed indefinitely", which can still be re-explained as "there's unresolved problems", no one bought anything, like you said (though him using "beta proceeds" in saying that the donation total doesn't reflect beta proceeds, combined with him having a "store" and a set donate amount to get access to the beta, frankly, is pretty damn similar in function to "buying" that a good enough lawyer in a reasonable enough court should be able to easily win that argument).

But my concern with these legal issues getting answered is that the only angle of attack is arguing that no matter what you call it, it was basically a "purchase" of access to the beta. And unless someone's willing to take that to court, gets a lawyer who feels they can win from that angle, and finds a court that will take the case on those grounds, it's a bit iffy as to whether or not the legal questions regarding licensing/legality will ever get answered.
This whole line of discussion doesn't make much sense to me -- first, the GPL makes no distinction among selling, public distribution, or private distribution. Distribution of any sort is subject to the same rules.

Second, recipients of the software, whether buyers or donors, have no standing; the GPL functions under copyright law, and the copyright holder is the only one who can sue.

Funny, though, how our resident neopwn apologist has given up all claims that the software is cleanly licensed for binary-only distribution, and now falls back on the imagined loophole that a private beta is magically exempt from copyright law. I can't imagine a case would be hard to win, if the author of the original driver (a Nokian, IIRC) and the FSF tried it.

Originally Posted by ivyking View Post

If he wants to maintain a profit , fine , don't make the source publicly available , but people who paid you for the beta , and got the binaries from you , have the legal right to get the source code too.

If someone is doing something wrong here it's neopwn crew, and should be reported to FSF .

here :
Telephone: +1-617-542-5942
Fax: +1-617-542-2652

and http://www.fsf.org/about/contact/email , select gpl compliance lab ..

if many people complain , they may do something !
I just filled out a complain. Chose GPL complaince lab. I will let everybody know as soon as I have any news.

Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
hmm..it seems that neopwn packet injection isn't working with latest power-kernel..user Kieron has confirmed this..

i wonder if there's any workaround to enable packet injection with the latest power-kernel?