Active Topics

I saw some old messages about somebody porting wxWidgets to maemo. I was wondering if that ever got completed, and in particular if wxPython ever got ported. I just discovered Task Coach which seems pretty fancy but it is based on wxPython.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbrewer123 For This Useful Post:
I'd like to second a request to get wxPython ported. I started looking at porting Task Coach and quickly realized that wxPython would be the problem. How much effort would be required to port a Maemo version of wxPython? I'd like to help with the port if someone could pick it up.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
There once was a port announced in this forum targeted at older Maemo releases. A search should reveal more results.

I did some research on this myself as I also would like to have taskcoach on the N900. I do java development, so this is out of scope for me. I decided to try to use easy-debian for this, but the wxPython packages are too old for the latest version of taskcoach. I tried to build the latest wxPython in easy-deb, but the mix of the different sid/squeeze packages wouldn't let me install the dev packages needed.

So I went a different route. I built my own debian lenny chroot so that I could build wxPython and then install the taskcoach pkg. I used/modified the easy-debian and easy-chroot scripts to get into my custom chroot. From there I built latest source pkg of wxPython. The compilation on N900 took a whole day!

Needless to say, I have gotten an Enlightenment session running and taskcoach working in my Debian lenny chroot.There's still some clean-up to make things nice like in easy-debian, but I did prove my concept.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Wow. I was just starting to look at the wxPython documentation. I'm glad I didn't pursue it further. I think I could have created a development environment and made a stab at compiling it, but that would have been it.

Suffice it to say, let me know if I can help out in any way, such as in testing. I have an N810 in addition to my N900 if that would be of any use.

Here are some updates. I can run task coach inside my own Debian Lenny chroot and hit it with Presence VNC viewer.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=878789
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=878830

Last edited by jackburton; 2010-11-20 at 16:03.