Notices

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php in this link how can i know which one to download for my mobile????

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by heartbreakdoctor View Post
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php in this link how can i know which one to download for my mobile????
For your PC, you need to download Maemo Flasher-3.5 Tool.
What is your OS?
1. Mac.
1.1. Intel
1.2 PPC
2. Linux
2.1 Debian
2.2 non-Debian
3. Windows (7, XP or Vista)

Read, please.

first thx alot second i updated maemo from phone n my phone worked perfectly but wat i dnt understand y flash for pc while problem was for maemo?

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
I really hope this guy is a troll.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captwheeto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
first thx alot second i updated maemo from phone n my phone worked perfectly but wat i dnt understand y flash for pc while problem was for maemo?
Your kidding right?

The flasher3.5 tool, flashes the firmware onto the device that is connected via USB, strange that one ay!

BTW: The word 'Thanks' has no x in it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Also most English words contain one of the following: "A", "E", "I", "O", "U" or sometimes "Y".

You really need to read this page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware at least. If there's anything you don't understand, use the search feature of this site, or use Google. A good trick for Google is to add "site:maemo.org" to your search if you want to restrict it to results from this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
You updated Maemo from the phone with help of Hildon App Manager, you mean. And now in Settings->About product you see version 20.2010.36-2, up-to-date. All well, nothing else to do.

Flasher 3.5 Tool isn't needed at all in this case. You can forget about it this time though it's advised you understand clearly what it is so that you could use it if/when it is needed.

If you want to get rid of all the applications installed, and/or to delete all your files from the device, it's necessary to use Maemo Flasher 3.5 Tool installed on your computer which should be connected to the device by USB cable.

Flasher comes in handy when the device is in a reboot loop or cannot start at all or is somehow else strongly abnormal. It's clean reinstall of Maemo OS on the device. Rarely needed, but has the advantage of removing whatever problem you had.

Flasher installed on PC can be used in cases when the device is in such a bad condition that is can be called 'bricked'. When you either cannot boot or cannot connect to Internet or cannot install maemo through Internet; when memory is corrupted; when all system files are erased; some catastrophes like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
do i have to download antivirus n firewall,n what do u recommend thx

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
do i have to download antivirus n firewall,n what do u recommend thx
No, this is linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Short version for heartbreakdoctor: no, you probably don't need these things for N900, but always try to be aware of what your phone is doing (cos it's also a computer)

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
No, this is linux.
Not a good assumption. While I don't run a firewall or antivirus on my N900, it is totally wrong to assume or claim (even implicitly) that Linux is somehow magically immune to the stuff which causes you to need antivirus and (particularly) a firewall. There aren't lots of Linux virii out there, but today might be the day that someone puts together an exploit for N900 (probably including some social engineering to get easy elevation to root) to harvest personal info, for example.

It's true that mass exploits, viruses, botnets etc. etc. are mostly a concern for Windows users (weak OS with massive user base makes a juicy target), but Linux is not flawless, and exploits are out there. If you were running mission-critical services on Linux (e.g. most Fortune 500 companies, most top universities) you'd have a firewall, network and software security audit/policy in place... right?

Having said all that, the majority of N900 users probably don't have anything in place for either firewall or anti-malware. Many users will agree that you're far more likely to screw up your N900 by installing some package or other which either has a bug or conflicts with something else (as opposed to some malware/whatever). So, err... beware of extras-devel!

Last edited by shallimus; 2010-11-12 at 17:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:

Tags
google ffs, heeelp plzzzzzz, prima donna, search as*hole, spelling, stop enabling, the noobs, troll troll, troll your boat