Active Topics

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Originally Posted by damion View Post
I don't know anyone who uses Windows, so Skype video calling doesn't work as it apparently uses some newfangled windows-only-so-far codec/protocol....
I don't know where you got that, but I have been using skype on linux, for at least four years.

Just thought I'd let you know.

/oxpo

well in india, the cost of video call is just 30 paise/min which in conversion into us$ becomes 0.6 cents per minute

hardly 1 cent for a minute of a video call....
on the other hand, internet connection costs 2$ for month

so which one do you think is cheaper, 2$ or 6 cents....??????
ANS===3g video call

obviously if some don't feels need does not mean it is not required....
i hope you developers get this idea and make a necessary application enabling 3g video call

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
I don't know where you got that, but I have been using skype on linux, for at least four years.
Have you actually tried a video call between N900 and desktop linux? I've been playing with it today and I haven't managed to succeed. And even on windows I couldn't get it work until I updated skype.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ malaysia
Any word from hacker or developer about this issues..???
hope other developer such as fring are interested to port this function on N900 if this app not free type and put it on OVI repo if it need more effort to make it happen..

i really hate about OVI store because there is no quality and productive app for our N900 at there..suck OVI...rather i pay to you guys in this community from them..

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Have you actually tried a video call between N900 and desktop linux? I've been playing with it today and I haven't managed to succeed. And even on windows I couldn't get it work until I updated skype.
Sorry off topic a bit..being in Jordan,,we can make video call over our orange network..waiting on zain to get with the program,,but i was kind of tickle today as I chatted with a friend in the us over skype from my n900 with video and it worked great..

Tried google video call?

or you can install amsn, msn video call was known to work.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ malaysia
Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
Tried google video call?

or you can install amsn, msn video call was known to work.
All of that app using internet protocol to work out.plus skype,SIP,jabber,fring or what ever.

for video call using 3G is work from our local service provider carrier is in different segment..so that why we discuss in this thread..majority of phone user or our contact mostly having this type of function on their phone.for some reason,it differ from telco service provider on each country which provide this service or not..
for my country and asia region this function is most popular for the past 7 year until now and we are still love using it because is cost going cheaper and sometimes provide special package on it..

not All of phone user is enabling their internet and login to their VOIP acc every time if they on mobile..so that why for some country,3G video calling it the most popular function and most reliable video calling for this time being because it based from our telco service provider and not depend on internet access..

maybe some of you can get idea from that..thanks..

I would like an application that can make me able to use standard videocall. I have 1.000 minutes of videocall for free per month bu actually I can't use thouse.

Yeah.. N900 is the best smartphone out there... but it cant make a 3g videocall is a bit of a shame.. even the middle end phones have this feature nowadays

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Excuse me if I'm mistaken and what you're asking about is the old fashioned 3G video calling (which has never been enabled on GSM networks in the USA), but again I ask what does it get you that Skype does not?
Old fashioned? Are you serious? It's significantly better in many ways. It gets you instant access to video calling without the proprietary 3rd party application (skype) installs that are required for almost every single non-N900 platform that exists. The person you call does not have to have some kind of data plan to receive your calls, just a plain old 3G enabled phone. Even better, neither person has to be 'on line and signed in at the same time'

It gives you phone to phone video calling with no middle man, no fuss, all based on a common standard that just works regardless of OS or hardware manufacturer. I trust my telecommunications carrier more than I trust Skype knowing about whom and when I make calls.

Seriously, dial the number and there it is, video. You are seriously saying Skype is better? That, sir, is wrong.

Yeah.. N900 is the best smartphone out there... but it cant make a 3g videocall is a bit of a shame.. even the middle end phones have this feature nowadays
The N900 is NOT a smartphone, it's a tablet computer with a cellular modem for data connectivity. Phone features are a convenience, an incomplete convenience. If you want a phone, buy a phone.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-11-21 at 14:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post: