Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by sjgarciav View Post
Hi...
I have the same problem....
I bought the N900 in USA since almost a year ago. However I have the problem since a month ago.
Original wall charger and generic charger is almost never recognized... unless i connect the charger and then turn off the phone and then the led starts to show me that the phone is being charged when phone is off....
It is also charged when I connect the charger when the phone is on, and the I reboot it....
Usb connection is always successful... however when the phone seems to start charging... the real fact is that nothing happens... I mean the led shows that phone is being charged but battery wont charge....
I have flashed maemo and emmc several times... however i cannot get rid of the problem...
Do you solve the problem???
anny suggestion...
is there hardware issue???
i'm from south america... it's almost impossible to find a official nokia support center....
Well, my N900 didn't charge even if it was turned off, so I eventually got an external charger and charged my batteries with it...
Until one day, after updating to PR 1.3, I came to realize that my phone is charging again
Somehow, flashing the firmware (both emmc and firmware) did not help, but updating OTA fixed it.
I have no idea why...

Anyways, my advise for you is to flash your device - I think something from extra-devel might have messed your system up (in my case, I think it was the power-kernel).

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I did solve the problem, I threw the N900 into oblivion and got a Samsung Galaxy S.
Hmmm... well that's hardly a solution
Some people just don't like Google to know what they're doing every second, and generally take part in one of the world's largest data-mining project

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Well, my N900 didn't charge even if it was turned off, so I eventually got an external charger and charged my batteries with it...
Until one day, after updating to PR 1.3, I came to realize that my phone is charging again
Somehow, flashing the firmware (both emmc and firmware) did not help, but updating OTA fixed it.
I have no idea why...

Anyways, my advise for you is to flash your device - I think something from extra-devel might have messed your system up (in my case, I think it was the power-kernel).

Hmmm... well that's hardly a solution
Some people just don't like Google to know what they're doing every second, and generally take part in one of the world's largest data-mining project
It's so sad for me. I've always thought that nokia phones are the best hardware. Maybe this time I have bad luck. However I'm really carefull with my phones.

I think phones should have different ports for charging and data connectivity.... I used to have my N95, N80 and I never get this kind of charging problems....

I've always bought nokia phones, however nowadays I see great android, apple , blackberry phones. Maybe now it's time to change... until nokia releases meego phones, maybe N9.

I think my N900 has a hardware issue. Here in my country is very difficult to find spare or good technical service. So I think I must get a new phone...

I hope Meego could put nokia phones in the top of the list. It's going to be dificult to defeat android and apple mobile operative systems.

Thanks for your advice....

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
It's so sad for me. I've always thought that nokia phones are the best hardware. Maybe this time I have bad luck. However I'm really carefull with my phones.

I think phones should have different ports for charging and data connectivity.... I used to have my N95, N80 and I never get this kind of charging problems....

I've always bought nokia phones, however nowadays I see great android, apple , blackberry phones. Maybe now it's time to change... until nokia releases meego phones, maybe N9.

I think my N900 has a hardware issue. Here in my country is very difficult to find spare or good technical service. So I think I must get a new phone...

I hope Meego could put nokia phones in the top of the list. It's going to be dificult to defeat android and apple mobile operative systems.

Thanks for your advice....
I might have missed a lot of the replies so pardon me if it has been said before, but why don't you buy an external charger with spare battery like this one (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=876682&postcount=4).

In the past when I've problem with the charging socket of other phones (it happened quite frequent to me I don't know why) I'd just reply on the external charger until I switch to next phone. Don't just throw away your N900 just because of such minor issue that can be worked around.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I might have missed a lot of the replies so pardon me if it has been said before, but why don't you buy an external charger with spare battery like this one (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=876682&postcount=4).

In the past when I've problem with the charging socket of other phones (it happened quite frequent to me I don't know why) I'd just reply on the external charger until I switch to next phone. Don't just throw away your N900 just because of such minor issue that can be worked around.
Thanks for your advice.
I could get an external charger and extra battery... It's cheaper than a new phone...
I could keep my n900 in this way until nokia releases first meego smartphone.... and in this time I could save enough money for this new phone!!!

sjgarciav, I either missed it or you didn't answer me - did you, or did you not try reflashing you phone (both firmware and emmc)?

sjgarciav, I either missed it or you didn't answer me - did you, or did you not try reflashing you phone (both firmware and emmc)?
Sorry.
I have reflashed firmware pr 1.3 and emmc twice!!!
Nothing happens both times (I used maemo flasher in windows)... I still have the problem...
So my conclusion is that I have a hardware issue... However why usb data connection works great... and usb wall charging connection is not recognized?... My charger is ok.. I used succesfully with other phones!!!
Thanks for you advices.

Is this the same charger you got bundled in the box with your N900 when you bought it?

Is this the same charger you got bundled in the box with your N900 when you bought it?
Yes... It's the original nokia charger.

In this case I ran out of ideas
Anyways, I recommend you get an external charger, they don't cost a lot and they could temporary solve your problem, until you've found a better solution

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Yes... It's the original nokia charger.
Get a samsung micro-usb charger, works much better then the original Nokia charger even though it's rated at 800ma/H.

I had 1:1 the same problem as you, data works perfect always, charging from wall / car problematic - excluding the samsung charger which did work. I did although have to plug it 2 or 3 times several times.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post: