Active Topics

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the built in email client. It automatically starts every time I turn the N800 on, and i can't find a way to stop it from doing that.

Also, does anyone know if Claws has any kind of spam filter.

Thanks!
Nadine

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ London, UK
Sorry can't answer any of your questions. I couldn't find an option to run the mail client at startup but then agian how often do you shut your device down? My understanding is that these were meant to be just left on.

Anyway welcome to the forum!

Open the E-mail Inbox
Click the menu
then Settings
then Uncheck the Update automatically box

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Uncheck the Update automatically box
Unfortunately this setting does not work as I expect. My N800 email client automatically retrieves email even though this box is not checked, and also tries to retrieve when I open the application to view the In Box.

Is there an editable configuration file that can be altered to prevent email retrieval unless I explicitly use the Menu > Message > Send & receive command?

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
You are right about the email program checking for new mail regardless of whether the box is checked. This is a serious potential security hazard if you want to read existing emails when connected to a public wifi hotspot. Open the email app and there goes your login and password details in the clear. Thanks Nokia!

As a personal rant, I find it amazing that a product that touts itself as an Internet tablet doesn't have a satisfactory email app. I've tried Claws and one other thrid party app as well, but none of them come close to the clarity and ease of use of the native email app on the Palm TX or the Apple mail app running on a (jailbroken) ipod Touch. I wonder if there will be any improvement on OS2008 or whether it will be the same woeful email app. Surely a simple, clear email app with filtering ability that doesn't leak your login and password details when you start it up isn't too much to ask. Grrrrrrr.

The email client on OS2008 is the same as we already have, but there's a new one in the making. Don't know when it'll be available, but it looks promising. It's called "modest".

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Modest just missed being able to be included in IT2008, but the idea is that Modest will become the new e-mail client, replacing the current one, just like MicroB has replaced Opera in IT2008. It's been said that the Modest guys are hoping to put out a first beta around the time that IT2008 is released (N810 release).

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
Well if modest turns out to be good then that is excellent news! One of the many things I love about the N800 is that it does steadily get better and better. That's openish platforms for you...