Active Topics

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
You (and I) shouldn't have to resort to mere hope that the desktop will be good and that Nokia doesn't mess it up. We should be able to graft the Maemo UI that we want on top of the MeeGo OS.

To my mind, maemo.org should have as one of its goals to assist community members in using the "N900 desktop" (or N8x0 UI) on top of Nokia's next MeeGo device.
Would be fine by me, as long as its done

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiptronic For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
its going to be nothing like symbian other than they both will use Qt.
Is Maemo anything like symbian?
As a matter of fact, yes. Symbian^3 and Maemo have much of the same look and feel and functionality, like two brothers. Even s60 rel5 shares a similar look and feel, except it doesn't have multiple home screens.

Nokia are wanting to take the UX in MeeGo to a new level, why would they want to replicate what they already have and are on the verge of changing?
BTw if you want Maemo like UI on MeeGo you might just get it, i read Hildon was being ported.
I have no clue what Nokias MeeGo UX will look like, but Maemo/Symbian^3 works extremely well, better than any other UX out there at the moment when taking multitasking into account. Assuming Nokia will go further with this is only natural. I am curious of what new level you are talking about.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
BTw if you want Maemo like UI on MeeGo you might just get it, i read Hildon was being ported.
That project is just getting started

http://blogs.gnome.org/foundation/20...call-for-bids/

and Hildon may not be completely ported. So we may or may not get a maemo-like UI on Meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
oh and here I thought the big difference where the spelling of the OS names.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I also fail to see the BIG difference. MeeGo from Nokia is bound to be almost exactly like Symbian. Symbian^3 is close to perfect regarding customization, more will not be better without some (yet unknown) radical changes in the whole structure.
Where did you get this radical idea?
MeeGo (Nokia UX) will be nothing like Symbian.

Early leak or not, it may look similar to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37PaOZJzEs&1&fmt=18

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
As a matter of fact, yes. Symbian^3 and Maemo have much of the same look and feel and functionality, like two brothers. Even s60 rel5 shares a similar look and feel, except it doesn't have multiple home screens.
Really? Hmm. I must not have been using Maemo for the past year as I find the two VERY different in nearly every way possible. (btw, I had N95 8GB and have N900 and N8 right now.) I see no similarities except that both can make and receive phone calls. I see more similarities between Android and Symbian^3.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-11-21 at 23:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Where did you get this radical idea?
MeeGo (Nokia UX) will be nothing like Symbian.

Early leak or not, it may look similar to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37PaOZJzEs&1&fmt=18

Really? Hmm. I must not have been using Maemo for the past year as I find the two VERY different in nearly every way possible. (btw, I had N95 8GB and have N900 and N8 right now.) I see no similarities except that both can make and receive phone calls. I see more similarities between Android and Symbian^3.
Maemo is very similar to (vanilla) Android, more so than Symbian^3. Multiple configurable home screens and one huge bucket of apps. IMO too configurable and too many home screens, it becomes messy and confusing. Symbian^3 is more strict with less configurability, but less confusing and more tidy. But even so, Symbian^3 and Maemo are very similar.

The update for the N8 coming next year (rumored to be coming out of the box for the E7), makes Symbian^3 almost exactly like the early MeeGo vid you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU0xt...layer_embedded

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
this thread is a fail
like MANY others
he's jus here to get his post liked
i mean cmon
isnt what he stated kinda obvious?
maemo.org should be for questions strictly
heck
even so, ppl dont search and i saw 3 threads with same issue
i hope to see tmo on failblog soon
Are judging? really?
Let's check your threads :
"Help needed (:" <- i like those titles. with sooo much info
"How to overclock NITDriod" <- wake up, it's tmo and not tno, go to nitdroid forum
"2nd time my desktop froze" <- mimimimi , just bug report it and use search
and so on, and all those question u asked while u could use google or man, but u judge others. c'mon?
And yes i don't think this thread is great, though i agree a little bit with topic started, but he could just add it to other meego or meego vs maemo threads.

Tags
ban op from, cr8ting threads, more fud, troll