So for about the past week i have noticed an extreme overnight battery drain. Every day i have woke up to my alarm but the device is off. Last night i charged it up completely and this morning i had very little charge.

I opened conky and noticed that the avahi-daemon was taking up anywhere from 25-35% CPU power which seems like A LOT to me. I did do some research and found out that it is related to wifi.

However my problem is that i don't know how to solve this. I really don't want to do a reflash partially because i don't know if that is going to fix the issue.

Also i have overclocked my device to 125/900 and it has been this way for quite a while without this battery problem. Any help would be appreciated in solving this annoying issue.

Thank you

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Hello,

I have had the same problem with 2 nokia original batteries. Both of them broke just like yours. I have always overclocked my n900 to 900mhz. From my point of view there could be 2 culprits:

1. Overclocking the N900 damages the battery.
2. I used a cheap desktop charger to charge my second battery.

Seems like we both did "1" so, so i was wondering if you also did the second one?

Let me know.

I am ordering my 3rd battery from Amazon right now. Its 20$. Go get it.

check whether you have catorize installed and uninstall it. I had the same issue.
Also if you want batteries, I recommend this one.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...398~r.33283278

It's better than genuine BL-5J and costs $8.84 including free shipping
I have one and I will order 3 more as they make discount. it goes down to $23 for three batteries

Last edited by p900; 2010-11-23 at 15:21.

nope do have categorize installed. i dont think i need a new battery as this is a new issue and a fresh battery from a recent warranty problem where i got a new device.

maybe someone with a normal working device can tell me what their cpu % is for that daemon and i can start there.

I think the best thing you have to do is to see which applications you have installed which they autostart when you boot your N900 and start uninstalling them until you find which causes the trouble

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
avahi-daemon is needed by telepathy-haze, and I'm getting problems with that (it keeps on disconnecting and reconnecting to MSN, quite annoying, and puts a lot of load on the CPU), for now, I suggest to switch to telepathy-msn-pecan till haze is fixed (I hate how it ignores profile pics and display names, but oh well...)

mohammed, ill give it a try but am confused becaused the daemon only starts when i turn on wifi

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
I used haze when I got my N900 4months ago, same issue so I use pecan with no problems

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

I have been having trouble with overnight battery drain as well. I have attached Battery Graph plot. Note that the CPU usage is VERY low. I also put the phone into airplane mode to attempt to prevent the battery from draining but it still managed to kill the battery overnight. Note that I am running the ULV kernel overclocked to 700 mhz, so nothing too aggressive.

Any thoughts on what is using all this standby power when CPU load is low?

(Note, the large block of CPU usage at 9am is a Battery Graph bug. When I look at it on the phone, that becomes a single spike when I scroll left or right)
Attached Images

I removed "Advanced Power" (and "Advanced Power Monitor" just in case) and battery life is now EPIC. Easily lasted me 24 hours with regular usage, probably could go longer.