Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
With the latest update and patches applied, I can confirm that MStarDict is auto-started and auto-focused, however it lists the possible words in the dictionaries. It would be nice to get the word definition for the first listed word in the list. After switching into FBreader and tapping another word (I set single-click for dict setting) it focuses onto Mstartdict but showing the previous word. It requires one more back tap to get the updated word lists. This also would be nice to directly giving me the first possible word definition.
I've uploaded a new version of MStarDict here which now displays the result if there's an exact match, or the results list otherwise. It also now deals with closing the previous result window before trying to lookup the new word.

It's split into two patches now, the first pulls the code to display a single result into a new method, and the second adds the DBus RPC handler.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post

I've just uploaded 0.12.10-19 now. This only adds support for using MStarDict or QStarDict as reference dictionaries. I've only pushed this release for Fremantle as I need to look at whether these are available for Diablo (or what alternatives there are).
mstardict is not available on Diablo, but stardict is. I don't know the functional differences between the two. stardict is functional as a standalone on diablo. Although it does not look completely hildonized it is hildonized well enough.

qstardict is also available but is functionally worthless. Although the skin is diablo the UI is Fremantle-ish. There are no ok and cancel buttons, presumably because you're expected to swipe to accept and while the "escape/go back/undo" hardkey works as a cancel button, the center key in the dpad does not work as an ok button. What this means is you can never enable your dictionary even if you put it in one of the default locations, none of which is convenient for Diablo.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
how about autorotate of app on keyboard open/close. I ask because I have the app by default in portrait mode but when I am say reading stuff to learn commands and have the keyboard opened I want it in landscape. same would apply when using keyboard shortcuts to use the search function. Thanks I'mlike the inspector columbo of fbreader..."just one more thing"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Detroit, MI
Thank you, devs, for bringing full screen switch back to app. And thank you for my favorite application! I really hope you are going to port it to MeeGo when it is released.

The Following User Says Thank You to arcticrobot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Rob1n,

I re-installed the patched QStarDict and it works as expected. These dictionary updates make my book reading life much better, now I can progress through in complicated texts with very less distraction, due to your super-easy dictionary look-up connections.

I've just uploaded 0.12.10-21 now.

The main new feature is the ability to save/load color schemes - currently this is only available by mapping shortcut key(s) though.

The other changes are all around custom menus & toolbar - it'll now read the config files from ~/.FBReader (if found) before falling back to the default ones (from /usr/share/FBReader/default); and I've made changes to the resource files (for internationalisation) to allow any of the actions to appear in the menus (I still need to make these changes for the toolbar though). The plan is to write a customisation program for the menus and toolbar, so you can have whatever you find handy on there.

I've noticed that there's a minor issue with the key mapping - the popup box with the action list is a bit tricky to use. You need to keep your finger/stylus held down, and scroll by moving off the top/bottom of the list.

I've pushed this update for both Diablo and Fremantle.

I still haven't been able to reproduce the hangs people have reported when loading the library though - I've tried with zipped sets of files, but it works fine here. All I can suggest is trying with subsets of your books until you narrow down which one(s) cause the issue. If you can pinpoint a specific file then I'll be happy to look into it further, but otherwise I really don't know what else to try.

There's also still no dictionary support for Diablo (it'll detect QStarDict, but won't work with it). The stardict app works fine in popup mode though - you just need to launch it first, then selecting any word should popup a box with the definition.

The source code changes can be downloaded from here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thanks Rob1n the ability to put whatever you want in the menu will be a great feature, from what I gather I could actually do it now from config files (I think) but I'd probably hose fbreader. You have done wonders with this app...

Just a quick status update.

I'm currently looking at getting a network library config file for use with Calibre servers (or template config - you'll need to create a copy with the correct server details filled in). This is requiring a few changes to the network library code (it was making some assumptions which aren't valid for the Calibre XML), but shouldn't be too much work.

I've also done a fix to stop the popup menu showing when opening/closing trees in the library/network library view (I need to do a bit more testing on this, but it looks to do the trick).

That's about all I've currently got on my agenda (there's auto-rotation, but that's a pretty low priority), so please shout if there's anything you don't like, or would like to see added.

Otherwise, once those are done, I'll look to push the new version to extras-testing, then spend some time working on the menu customisation, and in getting the patches reorganised and pushed upstream.

If there was autorotate (negating nees to have opening keyboard switch to landscape) the only other thing for me is a custom time out for locking the screen. forever on is too long but the maemo 2 minutes is way too short.I do appreciate that you say it is a lot of work so if it ever happens I will just consider it a cherry on the cake. The only little issues I have experienced are "figures" (don't know what they are officially called) seem to not always wrap text and just disappear to the right (are these called tables in epub talk?) but I assume that is an oreilly formatting issue....and having quit on the bottom of the popup menu does not negate hitting it by mistake as if you tap the bottom half of the screen to bring up the menu you will find you are hovering directly over quit (but I use the menu button anyway). anyways, thanks for my fav n900 app...

Last edited by extendedping; 2010-11-25 at 12:58.

Okay, 0.12.10-22 is uploaded now, for both Diablo and Fremantle.

This adds support for calibre as a network library - you'll need to edit the /usr/share/FBReader/network/calibre.xml file to remove the comment lines (<!-- and -->) and change the server address.

It also stops the popup window from appearing while expanding a collection in the tree browser.

The source code changes can be downloaded from here.

Let me know if there's any issues, otherwise I'll push it to extras-testing next week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: