Active Topics

huh... nxproxy installed... and YES!

Great, maacruz, Thanks!

But it underlines the need for a list of actions andpackages to be installed; not only the three you gave us, butalso freenx and nxproxy.

paai
:

That leaves just the question how to type something :-(
I will go and read this thread again...

paai

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by paai View Post
huh... nxproxy installed... and YES!

Great, maacruz, Thanks!

But it underlines the need for a list of actions andpackages to be installed; not only the three you gave us, butalso freenx and nxproxy.

paai
:
What's on the server side depends on the distro you've chosen, so I'm not responsible for that. For example, in opensuse you've just to install the NX package from the repository and you're done. FreeNX is completely redundant, it isn't used by snx.
Of course, if any of you provides the specific guidelines or instructions for a given distro, I'll be glad to include them in the first post.

I tried to use snx on a Kubuntu 9.04 and a Kubuntu 10.04. In both cases I had to remove Nomachine NX and install FreeNX before I got the screen.

I can only hope that this caveat will help others.

Today I will continue with getting NX to accept keystrokes...

paai

I tried to use snx on a Kubuntu 9.04 and a Kubuntu 10.04. In both cases I had to remove Nomachine NX and install FreeNX before I got the screen.

I can only hope that this caveat will help others.

Today I will continue with getting NX to accept keystrokes...

paai
I've updated the first post with your information.
snx is now in extras-devel for N8x0 and N900, you can install it with apt or the package manager, the keyboard will work.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Alas, no keyboard yet.

To be certain, I removed xbindkeys, xmodmap and snx, rebooted the N900 and then installed snx again, noting carefully that xbindkeys and xmodmap were included. But when I try to type something in the NX session, it displays in the Xterminal from which snx was started.

I must be missing something obvious here.

Paai

Alas, no keyboard yet.

To be certain, I removed xbindkeys, xmodmap and snx, rebooted the N900 and then installed snx again, noting carefully that xbindkeys and xmodmap were included. But when I try to type something in the NX session, it displays in the Xterminal from which snx was started.

I must be missing something obvious here.

Paai
That sounds really strange.
So, you start a NX session; a remote Xterm opens and it is in the first plane and it has the focus, you type something, and the input goes to the hidden osso-xterm where snx is running?

@maacruz: I am not certain about the terminology, but it goes like this:

I open the xterm on the N900

I start snx with either thunderbird or a kde deskop (adding the -d option)

A new window opens on the N900 with the application. If it is thunderbird, and I open a new window in thunderbird for writing a new email, it opens in another new window on the N900. Keyboard input, however, ends up in the original xterm... That one is not hidden, though, it reains on the N900 desktop.

Paai

BTW: I am a long time and enthousiastic NX user. I see already that even on the N900, nx is fast enough to be really useful. Therefore I really like to solve the problems and I am so glad that you showed us that NX is possible on the N900.

P.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I got it working on my n900 but if I try to start some applications like firefox I loose the input. When I start xterm its fine and starting firefox from xterm the keyboard works. I think the problem is the same as qole had in easy debian that lost the keyboard-focus.

paai, hstende, yes i think it is the same problem so the solution should also work. if you have easy debian installed try this but use your app window name in place of bluemaemo.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66215

Last edited by Cue; 2010-11-26 at 16:57.

Tags
remote desktop