I live in a country that restricts Internet access so I subscribe to PublicVPN. It works great with my Windows XP laptop but I have no idea how to set it up with my N800. Contacted PublicVPN but they have no support for Linex. Has anyone done this before? I am new to Linex myself so I would really need step-by-step instructions. Anyone out there with info on how to do this?

The Following User Says Thank You to daaders For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ North Carolina
Not sure what PublicVPN is as I have never heard of it, but there is a program called OpenVPN for the N800 and you can then set it up to connect to what ever vpn concentrator you use for the publicVPN i think. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on PublicVPN will chime in here.

Dave

Thanks. I have read everything on the board concerning vpns, including OpenVPN. I am a novice at Linux so everything is Greek to me. I use the N800 when traveling so no problems then but once I am back in here, the IP blocks good stuff, including Skype. PublicVPN provides a way for me to get around the restrictions. I guess I was looking for someone who has figured out how to set it up and save me the task of trying to figure out.

Is that publicvpn.com?
I had a quick look. It seems to support MS PPTP VPN (among others), it even claims to work (unofficially) with PalmOS, which should mean quite normal MS PPTP. If so, it should in principle be possible to get it working on the N800. You will have to install some additional stuff on your N800, which may or may not be outside of what you feel comfortable with doing. The ITTF member Fanoush has what you need at this link: http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#pptp
Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, although I've planned to for a long time - I need pptp occasionally.

Okay, yes. This is probably what I need to do. I had read this previously but didn't understand . It tells what I must do but not how to do it. I will need someone to walk me through the process. For starters, how do I "extract both directly on device via 'tar zxvf 4.2007*.tar.gz'". Any help is appreciated. I am too new to Linux to figure this out.

If you're new to linux, setting up PPTP will be extremely intimidating. It requires a kernel reflash, manually inserting several modules, editing some shell scripts, and quite a bit of command line work.

You're better off running a proxy on your desktop, locking it down, and connecting through that.

True, it is probably too complicated for a newbie like me. I guess I was hoping someone could step me through the process. While I love the concept of open source, it does have a huge learning curve for the less informed. I guess that's why Bill Gates continues to make his billions. Anyway, the proxy-on-my-desktop suggestion doesn't work here. My country's IP is the villain because it blocks me from accessing many sites. By establishing a PPtP tunnel to publicvpn.com from my desktop and laptop, I am able to tunnel past the censors. I haven't been able to do the same with my N800. Oh well, thanks anyway. I saw this as a long-shot anyway.

Maybe an onion router like tor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)) would work for you? I'm currently putting together a version packaged for the N800, I'm setting it up to be a null-configuration package (just install it, and set up the network connection to use it. There's a little bit more work to set it up in the current desktop version, if I get it done the way I want it'll be simpler on the N800). I may have a version ready in a week or so.

I recall trying to use a tor-on-a-flash-drive on my laptop without success. But I am more than willing to give it a shot on the N800 so if/when you get something together, I will gladly give it a shot. You'll certainly be able to see if a newbie can get it to work. Thanks.

Did you checked out that?
These guys do the necessary steps in detail. But atm there is just this kernel here which needs extra modules. But the step with the extra modules isn't covert in the thread.

So i recommend you to wait until OS2008 comes out or you will have to do this twice. This should be within the next 3 weeks...