Active Topics

Notices

i downloaded transmission but my internet connection was unreliable. so the download got interupted. so the file got marked as read only and wont delete i even tried it on the pc and even removed UAC... but still no delete... and also my n900 memory is stuck in read only CAN SOMEONE help me PLEASE

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
delete it in xterm and see if that solves it

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Did you reboot yet?

If that doesn't fix it, then it's possible you corrupted the filesystem on your N900. In which case, there's threads on how to fix that, not just here, but all over the internet, because corrupted filesystems aren't exactly new problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
ok what are the commands

yes i think your correct could you refer me to a thread please

For the command line commands:

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

Read this. Learn. That was one of the first things I did when getting my N900, and it keeps you from floundering around completely when something has to get done with the command line.

As for corrupted file system fixes, just scroll up to the power search, type in "corrupted filesystem" or something, and read through the threads. Or, alternatively, just go to Google, and type "corrupted filesystem". Or wait until someone on here has the time to search the relevant stuff for you and post it.

I had the same thing happen to me a few days ago... Hopefully the developer is reading this.

Turn off the phone and take out the battery (wait 10 seconds)
Turn on the phone
Open xterm
Type: root
Type: killall trackerd (I *think* when it scans and then finds the corrupted file, it makes your filesystem read-only)
Open a file browser and delete the corrupted file

That worked for me. I'd reccomend completing those steps as quickly as possible. I could only access and delete the file immediately after I started the phone.

Good luck,
Phono

The Following User Says Thank You to PhonoN900 For This Useful Post:
If you have shortcutd installed, you may be able to map "killall trackerd" to the custom shell command, for, say, short half-press of camera key. Not sure about this. But if you can, then reboot, it can make running that killall trackerd command that much faster right after boot.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
hmmm....transmission app. I got the same "read only" files problem when im using transmission, it started when i installed swapolube.

tried to fix mass storage using backupmenu.

i fixed my mass storage using a win7 pc but the problem persisted.

rebooted, uninstalled swapolube and reverted all settings to default, use transmission again and its still there.

backed up all my files, reformatted my mass storage. used transmission and everything was fine again. installed swapolube, applied custom settings on wiki, and at the time i-restarted my torrent download, the file got corrupted again and my mass storage is again read-only.

did all reformatting and stuff and did not install swapolube again.

now, im download a 6GB file using transmission and its going smooth.

NOTE: I dont blame swapolube or transmission for my problem. i just stated what caused this read-only problem to my device.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
>Has 'hacker' in his name in 1337 speak
>two threads on front page about how he broke something and can't fix it from the terminal

Oh dear. I hope I wasn't this bad when I was 13

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captwheeto For This Useful Post: