Active Topics

I suspect you may end up needing to reflash. Fortunately, it's not too big of a problem - I've got a link to a video in my signature on a foolproof way of doing it.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Karachi
hey. i was installing this very app <Nokia Data Gathering> and the same stuff as described by OP happened to me. Thanks a lot to the guys who posted the helpful notes!

Yes, Nokia Data Gathering did it to me too. The MySQL install script was taking more than 20 minutes and I had enough. I didn't realize it would jam up the boot process if I turned it off. I am irritated that it does since if this were a debian computer, shutting it off during an application installation would not cause it to fail to boot. Of course, if you were installing a kernel or bootloader it might but NOT an application.

I guess I have no choice now, it's been sitting at 3% for quite some time. Anyone know what it is actually doing? Is it trying to complete the aborted installation? Is there no way of telling it to skip it?

VERY IMPORTANT NEWS EVERYONE
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REFLASH

I just hit CTRL+C a couple times and it will kill that script (the one which prints "Installing updates do not interrupt" to the console) and allow the phone to continue booting!! (I also hit 'u' a couple times because thats the bootloader key but I doubt that did anything.)

You don't need a new battery or a flasher or anything, just Ctrl-C.

Once you've rebooted you will need to repair the packaging system state with dpkg from the command line (I haven't done that yet but it should be easy, I've done it several times on a full debian box, and once on the phone.)

(If you are already familiar with debian package administration this post will not be of much use to you.)

You will need to run from the Terminal app:
Code:
sudo gainroot
If you don't have gainroot installed then you are probably in trouble.
Then:
Code:
dpkg --reconfigure -a
This told me that "ndg" is in an inconsistent state and that I must continue installing it in order to remove it.
So run:
Code:
apt-get install ndg
Answer all the inane mysql prompts, it doesn't matter what answers you give we are just going to remove it in a moment:
Code:
apt-get purge ndg mysql-server
There are probably several other dependencies that should be removed but mysql will likely slow down your phone if it is not removed.

Originally Posted by cd0 View Post
VERY IMPORTANT NEWS EVERYONE
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REFLASH

I just hit CTRL+C a couple times and it will kill that script (the one which prints "Installing updates do not interrupt" to the console) and allow the phone to continue booting!! (I also hit 'u' a couple times because thats the bootloader key but I doubt that did anything.)

You don't need a new battery or a flasher or anything, just Ctrl-C.

Once you've rebooted you will need to repair the packaging system state with dpkg from the command line (I haven't done that yet but it should be easy, I've done it several times on a full debian box, and once on the phone.)

Thanks a LOT !!!

You really made my day - had everyhting in place again for a reflash - untill I saw you message !

It's up again now !! That saved me a lot of hassle & stress.

The cause probably is Nokia Data Gathering

Thanks again !

Originally Posted by cd0 View Post
Code:
dpkg --reconfigure -a
I get as response:

Code:
dpkg: unknown option --reconfigure
Any ideas what to do next?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Try
Code:
dpkg --configure -a

Thanks for you reply.

I did issue that command.

And followed the instructions to (re)install & then uninstall/remove NDG.

But I get stuck again ;-)

See:

/home/user # apt-get install ndg
Reading package lists... 0%
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ndg is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up ndg (2.0.1-5) ...
Downloading jboss-4.2.2.GA.zip... This can take a long time depending on your internet connection. cp: cannot stat 'jboss-4.2.2.GA.zip': No such file or directory
Ack! look at the
/tmp/12316.log
dpkg: error processing ndg (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
wget: unrecognized option `--trust-server-names'
Gebruik: wget [OPTIE]... [URL]...

Probeer 'wget --help' voor meer opties.
Errors were encountered while processing:
ndg
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
/home/user #

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Try to clear the package cache first
Code:
apt-get clean
Is wget installed at all?
Code:
apt-cache policy wget
Then try to reinstall
Code:
apt-get install --reinstall ndg
At last try to get rid