I'm viewing this from the x86 version of android on my HP Mini 210. Let's hope this gets ported to x86 as well.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ BG, Ruse
I really miss hardware QWERTY keyboards. The only two options now are Desire Z and Milestone 2, which are far from perfect. The keyboard is one of the main reasons, why I am waiting for the N9. I hope Nokia don't screw it this time.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention the Nexus S. In one sentence - the only good thing I find in this model is that it uses stock Android and it will get updates regularly.

Last edited by NikiSk; 2010-12-07 at 06:20.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
I have been planing my dear John letter to the Maemo community and was about to say so long and thanks for all the fish, when I learned the Nexus has no microSD. (NO microSD exasperation WTF)

android has 2 huge things against it.
1. this hole google account thing - before you can limitability install anything on the phone. (I don't like this idea of selling google everything I use when and where.)

2) NO micro SD on a nice 4" screen I don't care what screen zealots say but a 4" OLED screen with WVGA resolution beets a 3.5" HD retina ( n900) stamp any-day.

so I can prostitute my self to No.1 but no SD card this product is dead on arrival.

I would be happy with my n900 if everyone voted on the bugs to improve the PIM.

edit: the other annoying thing about my n900 is it does not sit flat in a desk, Nexsis S looks like it will rock too. I also think the curved front screen to match you face is a non starter silly Idea.

Last edited by timwatt; 2010-12-07 at 06:31.

I believe the specs are good and I don't care about the SD slot.
16GB of memory would be enoguh for me. What I do miss is the qwerty keyboard. And I htink the looks of this phone are ****.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
This phone would've been a groundbreaking piece of technology... If we were at 2009...

Is THIS is Google's new flagship device?! What's so attractive in it - the NFC chip? NFC chips have been included in Nokia phones for years by now.
New Android OS version? well the next new smartphone which will probably be twice as strong as the new Nexus and will include twice more features (microSD slot, anyone?) will probably run this new version of Android as well, so what's the big deal? I really don't get it...

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
To me, it seems Google and Samsung had to make some compromises. It's a crippled Galaxy S in some ways. Little bit better in some other. Samsung obviously weren’t going to make Google a much better phone than their own flagship phone that is the Galaxy S. Why can't it even do HD video recording is beyond me.

I guess we'll have to wait for Samsung's new flagship for next-gen hw.

Originally Posted by efekt View Post
This phone would've been a groundbreaking piece of technology... If we were at 2009...

Is THIS is Google's new flagship device?! What's so attractive in it - the NFC chip? NFC chips have been included in Nokia phones for years by now.
New Android OS version? well the next new smartphone which will probably be twice as strong as the new Nexus and will include twice more features (microSD slot, anyone?) will probably run this new version of Android as well, so what's the big deal? I really don't get it...
Yes, I really didn't get it why people got upset at the beginning when Nokia said they would not port the Meego system on the N900. All we have to do is just sell our N900 and get a new Meego phone or whatever out there with better features and have the new system.

Don't you see the point? Not everyone likes to change their devices every few months. They want to buy the device that can be upgradeable and last much longer. And for now, from what I see, look like the only android phones that are upgradeable are those from Google.

It is more like a warning for those who are planning to buy an android phone soon, like me. You need to know, without a good OS, no matter how good the hardware is, it is just like a sh**. N900 is one of the example, maemo 5 is just not good enough to use the full power of it, be honest., and instead of fixing the bugs, Nokia just go ahead and develop another new OS. How about the owner of N900? "Well, sorry, too bad you bought our products." At least now they know it is wrong and they say they will port the Meego to N900, but will see, who knows.

This Nexus S may not have the best hardwares, like no MicroSD slot , no Qwerty keyboard, well, same as the Iphone too , but as least it have a good company on its back to make sure the OS is working well and upgradeable.

I may or may not buy this phone. It depends on what other people will say about it after it is out. But at least Google phones will be my first choice if I want to buy an android phone in the future.
But for those who are not planning to buy an android phone or who like to change phone every 3 months. this is really not that big a deal.

BTW, I don't own an N900, or an android phone yet, lucky me.

Last edited by racky; 2010-12-07 at 09:18.

I've got the Galaxy S. While it is a good smartphone, there are many do'h instances where it would've made this a great smartphone.

The biggest complaints:
1) Build quality is superb - but its superb in plastic. I only dreamed for a HTC Legend type housing.
2) Software quality is atrocious. The froyo update fixed my GPS and gave me a free (offline) Navigation software. But it still has that darn stutter/lag, the memory management is mediocre at best and there are a few glitches. (Also the interface is worse than before). I am trying to be patient, waiting for a MIUI build!!
3) Buttons are bad. While I appreciate having a physical Home button, the quality used for it is suprisingly low. The have placed the Back button on the right instead of the left (like anyone with half a brain would do). Putting the power button on the right side is such a frustration its difficut to lock the screen with one-hand/busy. Putting the volume rocker on the left side (copying iPhone?) also means I need to use my left hand and I always asumed that people would want to hold it with their right (right hand dominancy in society). And finally the size of the rocker/button is quite small so it is difficult to hit it, especially if you have a case for it.
4) No LED flash. Which means no pictures/videos in dark areas. Which means you have no flashlight on you when you need to see where/what you're doing. Both instances I've encountered before and it left me feeling angry and depressed.

Because of these issues, I've lost some hope in Samsung (they were my second favourite after Nokia). So I will skip the Nexus S, I just don't see how it is an upgrade from the Galaxy S. But when it comes out I will totally; sell the SGS, add some money on top, buy an unlocked/noplan PSPhone, use my current 2yr plan.

If you ask me Google is just trying to hang in in the cellphone business until they learn all the ropes. Their main concern is not the phones but the web technologies.

Nothing can beat n900 for now

Last edited by jaykup; 2010-12-07 at 09:39.

I don't believe Google has any intention to hang in the cellphone business. If that was so, they'd increase their market presence.

No, I think they make this phone, like the previous one, because they want to dictate a course. Consider it a reference phone, like the first nexus and the devel phone.

What this course is, I just don't know yet.