True, I also had a E60 with integrated SIP. I had a very bad experience with that. It was unstable and didn't work that well for me. So I mostly used the client on the N800. Also the N900 integrates other VoIP services like skype. But it is true that S60 may have been earlier (don't know if Maemo on N800 or S60 was first). Later nokia removed the SIP integration in the S60 phones, don't know if they enabled it again in phones like n8

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Necc View Post
Man it's simple as hell:

Second: N900 is the only and ONE device available for the mass-market. So if you want to buy a maemo device, you can choose from one, witch is also a high-end device (and therefore expensive too), one design, one etc., one etc...

While if you want to buy an android device, you can choose from various devices starting from 10€ up to 1.000.000€, mid-range, high-range, lot of design, lot of available colour, and so on and so on.

90% of the customers do not gives a s..t about the hardware or the software, they just goes for the design (like: OMGF that phone is pink i wanna it! or: OMG this phone is full-metal i wanna it!) and merges how much money they can waste to the phone, and that's all.

And it's not because "android". 85% of the customers don't give a s..t if android runs on the device or or maemo or hubaluka OS.

So shortly: 1 device vs. hundred of devices. That's why N900 and maemo not popular.

I tried to be damn simple.
What about iphone, this the only phone with iOS and is popular.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michmo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dtergens View Post
Also pub marketting was inexistant for N900, if it was the same case as what they are doing now for the N8, things would be differents, but it was apparently not what they were looking for...
This is the only correct answer. There was 0, none, nada, nothing, marketing for the N900. Not in a movie, not in a ad, NOTHING.

Therfore it failed.

The Following User Says Thank You to riahc3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
High-end smartphone users currently expect a capacitive touch screen with a fully touch based UI, a slim design, and a fast an vibrant application store. The n900 doesn't have these things or they are very much in beta.
Heh. I've just ordered an n900, to replace my aging first-generation iPhone. While four years old now, and starting to show signs that the (non-replaceable) battery can no longer hold a full charge, my iPhone does have a capacitive touch screen with a fully touch based UI, a slim design, and a fast and vibrant application store.

It sounds to me like you're describing not what "High-end smartphone users" currently expect, but rather what "High-end iPhone users" currently expect. Steve Jobs pretty much created his own concept of what a phone should be, and so now most of the industry falls over itself trying to create iPhone clones. Which, hey, I'm not going to argue with, as it has been kinda like a license for Apple to print money, but I'd really like to see some fresh new ideas out there.

Android is an iPhone clone -- it does just what the iPhone does in just the same way that the iPhone does it. People who like the iPhone will like Android, and since so many people like the iPhone, there are many people who like Android. That's all there is to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
It sounds to me like you're describing not what "High-end smartphone users" currently expect, but rather what "High-end iPhone users" currently expect. Steve Jobs pretty much created his own concept of what a phone should be, and so now most of the industry falls over itself trying to create iPhone clones. Which, hey, I'm not going to argue with, as it has been kinda like a license for Apple to print money, but I'd really like to see some fresh new ideas out there.
That is why I like the N900 so much, it isn't an iPhone clone. Not that I dislike iPhone, i don't (that is the phone I usually recommend people buy). But that was the first i noticed when i played with the N900 at the maemo summit: it does things differently.
But it must be said that Apple was the first to get a touch interface right. Also Apple was to first to get an application download store to the masses.
Just like the mouse/window revolution in desktop PC, so also is the touch interface design of the iPhone a new standard.
It doesn't make more traditional stylus or keyboard interfaces useless, but for most people the touch interface is the way to interact with a smartphone.

I haven't used Android (or webOS) much but i don't agree that they are "just iPhone clones" they do innovate, just like Maemo and Symbian. Homescreen widgets for example are useful and I think you will also see a similar idea on iOS in the future, same goes for uPnP AV, but both were also on maemo for the N800 (and Symbian?) before Android.

I also like the appearance and the xbox arcade integration of Windows Phone 7. Even microsoft is trying new things!
All players are innovating, and the best ideas will be copied and eventually found on all platforms in some way or another.
That is the beauty of the smartphone market. A lot of innovation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post

No I think he is describing what most high end users want. Not all (as you prove but most - as the sales of iphone and android have shown - and Nokia have recognised with the N8). Have you seen how slim the high end android devices are? Even the Desire Z and Samsung Epic which have keyboards are still model skinny next to the N900. Barely any female would give the N900 a second glance with how thick it is and many males would dismiss it on looks alone.

As for the resistive screen issue, sorry but no device is going to have mass market sales with that type of screen. Most people want the ease of use of capacitive and stylus is something for geeks, again not the mass market. Again Nokia has recognised this (with the N8, N9, etc).

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
You may find this interesting to read:
Google’s Andy Rubin Gives a Flash of Tablet Future

6:54 pm: Kara: Do you consider yourself the Microsoft of phones in that regard?

Rubin: No. We’re probably more like the Linux of phones, and that’s a true statement.

Walt: You mean hard to get drivers for, only for geeks, no real consumer would buy it?

Rubin: No, I think we’ve already proven that wrong. Bad analogy.
Andy Rubin has been in contact with Stpehen Elop "about something":
Kara: Have you gone to Finland to woo Nokia?

Rubin: I haven’t been to Finland.

Walt: Forget Finland, have you tried to convince Nokia?

Rubin just laughs (a-ha).

7:12 pm: Kara: The discussions with Nokia–talk about them in detail.

Rubin: The company has new leadership [referring to CEO Stephen Elop]. They are evaluating lots of alternatives. I’m open-minded and a big proponent of Android.

Rubin again declines to talk about any meetings he may have had.
IMO, advantages in both:

Android: Dalvik is good as a higher intelligent interpreted statically typed language platform, which Meego and Maemo lags. The future likely is with these kind of platforms when there is multiple cores and lots of RAM memory available.

Meego: Oppenes and more Linux-like. You can do more or much about anything with the hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Android: Dalvik is good as a higher intelligent interpreted statically typed language platform, which Meego and Maemo lags. The future likely is with these kind of platforms when there is multiple cores and lots of RAM memory available.
Dalvik is a huge case of NIH that doesn't add a whole lot except break compatibility with everything that exists in the open source world and sticks you with what Google provides.

Meego: Oppenes and more Linux-like. You can do more or much about anything with the hardware.
Dodges the entire Google dependency and provides no less capability than a VM. You also expand the developer base and effort that feeds into your OS by not consolidating all development in one location.

Guys, the real reason is for the DRM

No company is going to develop anything if the OS don't allow DRM. Google is not reason, all the devices have android because the companys trust to develop their games and apps with DRM in that OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I am 101% sure that it is because of naming:

Who the FREAK! wants to buy a device called Nokia N900 powered by Maemo 5 (Step 4of5)??

I much prefer HTC Desire HD with Android Froyo.
<sarcasm/>

Its like Nokia loves to list the protocols the phone has but not what you can do with it (to be fair they have this new "its not technology its what you do with it" theme)

But seriously now, who the heck is the one responsible for naming conventions at Nokia?! They had the opportunity to start everything from scratch with a clean cool name and what do they do? Name it MeeGo. Why Nokia? Why do you hate your operating systems so much?

Oh my bejesus...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:

Tags
beware!, it's a trap, maemo in denial