Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
I use FeedingIt as a standalone app. The beta works from the desktop widget but fired up from the icon it presents "default category" that leads to a blank screen. How do I get my feeds up an visible in standalone mode?
In theory, you should get the listing of feeds once you click on the category (when you first upgrade, all the feeds will be in the only "Default Category").

Can you start it up from the X-Terminal by typing "FeedingIt" there, click on the category, and then quit. Are there are any error messages displayed in the terminal (output is quite verbose, ignore the ones that start with the date)?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Here you go:

Code:
~ $ FeedingIt 
file:///opt/FeedingIt/qml/common/ToolBar.qml:51:9: QML Row: Cannot specify left, right, horizontalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Row
file:///opt/FeedingIt/qml/common/AddCat.qml:11:9: QML Row: Cannot specify left, right, horizontalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Row
file:///opt/FeedingIt/qml/common/AddFeed.qml:26:9: QML Row: Cannot specify left, right, horizontalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Row
file:///opt/FeedingIt/qml/common/AddFeed.qml:15:9: QML Row: Cannot specify left, right, horizontalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Row
created new network access manager for QDeclarativeEngine(0x243910) 
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:13:46] "GET /categories HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:13:46] "GET /config HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:13:48] "GET /isUpdating/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:13:50] "GET /isUpdating/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:13:52] "GET /isUpdating/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:13:54] "GET /isUpdating/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:13:57] "GET /feeds/1 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Error FODC0002 in tag:trolltech.com,2007:QtXmlPatterns:QIODeviceVariable:src, at line 1, column 9176: Expected '#' or '[a-zA-Z]', but got ' '.
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:14:03] "GET /task HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Nokia-N900 - - [23/Nov/2010 00:14:58] "GET /isUpdating/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
~ $
One other thing: I have tried with both the stock Nokia and Humanity theme and the colours on the summary screen after the light blue headlines and before the linked article is illegible. Background is black, as is the text excepting the headline, which is dark blue.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Thanks to handaxe very valuable help, we've fixed a number of issues in the beta version. If you've already installed it, please download the update again (same file name): https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=1202

As an addendum to known-issues, articles will show as black on black in the QML interface until you run an update.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Some observations on the qml version (and I assume the functionality will match that of the no qml interface):

Updating feeds takes a VERY long time compared to the noqml interface. I thought it had hung but later saw that it was still busy with a feed that generally has the largest number of updates (bbc news if it matters). No errors in output from CLI.

(As an aside -no great complaint but FeedingIt takes much longer to update the same feed list than does RssOwl on a linux desktop - could be network card throughput related though)

The built-in web reader: if one uses the magnifier it is very difficult to drag the screen to the left or right to view enlarged text. The screen re-centres upon releasing the stylus (for eg. one needs to scroll down). If one drags too energetically left or right, the screen pages over to the pre- or suc-seeding feed item. Difficult to get the balance right and tiring...

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Updating feeds takes a VERY long time compared to the noqml interface.
Yeah, it only does 1 feed at a time, instead of 3 before (and each feed is also longer to update).
Updates are mostly disk I/O bound (and CPU), rather than network. It definitely could use some benchmarking, and optimizing.

The built-in web reader: if one uses the magnifier it is very difficult to drag the screen to the left or right to view enlarged text.
Articles that are wider than the screen size (because of the zoom, or images that are too wide) are not handled all that well right now, it's on the to-do list.

Thanks for the feedback, though, very appreciated!

Hey Slocan, is there anyway to get a list of links for the archived articles? The archived feature is nice, but whenever I open a saved article (say from ArsTechnica) I get spammed with 4-5 windows opened (Facebook, Twitter, some advertisements, etc..). I've gave up on viewing it through the built in webkit browser and resorted to just Googling the titles of the saved feeds.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

LaughingMan, save this to a file export.py (or whatever name you want), and run it with "python export.py" on the terminal
Code:
import sqlite3
db=sqlite3.connect("/home/user/.feedingit/ArchivedArticles.d/ArchivedArticles.db")
links=db.execute("SELECT title,link FROM feed;").fetchall()
for (title,link) in links:
   print title + " " + link
Note that this is from memory, I am not able to test it at this time. That should give you a list of the titles and links.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I just gotta print it to a .txt file and everything is set.

I could just add something to the print command right? I'll test it out myself tomorrow.

Code:
import sqlite3
db=sqlite3.connect("/home/user/.feedingit/ArchivedArticles.d/ArchivedArticles.db")
links=db.execute("SELECT title,link FROM feed;").fetchall()
for (title,link) in links:
   FI = open('Links.txt','w')
   print >>FI, title + " " + link
Edit: Anyway to specify where the Links.txt should be (like in MyDocs?)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Anyway to specify where the Links.txt should be (like in MyDocs?)
Just specify the full path (/home/user/MyDocs/Links.txt) in the open command, at a guess.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Hmm, I'm getting a unicode error. Anyone know of a way to change it to write in UTF-8 format? Searching through Google offered a few methods but I couldn't get it to work.