Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
So far I'm not sure what's supposed to be so impressive about Chrome OS. I mean, yeah, it boots an alternative OS. But what can you really do with it that you can't do now with a browser and Linux or even Windoze? Web apps - check. Cloud storage - check. Webmail, websurfing - check, check. Lightweight, minimal OS - load Puppy Linux or something, check.

So tell me what I'm too dim to see. What's the advantage of using a web-dependent crippled OS over a fully-capable with-or-without web real OS, especially given the cost, size and capabilities of hardware available now or in the near future? I have 48Gb of storage and a phone/camera/multimedia player/computer running real Linux in my pocket right now. It will do a lot with no connection to anything. If I wanna store stuff in the cloud, it will.

So why should I reduce that - or my CentOS desktop either - to a web-dependent notebook with a goofy keyboard running a semi-functional Chrome OS?
In a word? Simplicity.

This isn't a product for you, but will appeal to MANY individuals that could care less about OS maintenance.

Apparently the web-store has gone live!

http://lifehacker.com/5708557/chrome-web-store-is-live

It looks really, really good.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore

Expect more web stores to open up soon. This is a fantastic idea.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-12-07 at 21:12.

Here's the official test notebook for Chrome OS.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/g...ome-os-laptop/

Features that I like? 8+ hour battery, 8 day standby, WiFi + 3G, 12.1" screen. Yes please!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Capt'n Corrupt,
riight. How much is the most important question here.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I'm not sure if that was a sarcastic reply but:

Considering how informed most users are about computer security, the measures Google have taken are a step in the right direction. I'm referring of course the the layers of security baked into Chrome OS.
Purely sarcastic, with a dash of seriousness. You should never put the user into a box they can't get out of. Doesn't have to be easy, just has to be secure. But treating the user like they're a malicious entity with respect to their own property is basically Trusted Computing come to fruition. This is just taking it one step up from cellphones.

And, uh, any word on what CPU this thing is running? I find those numbers hard to believe if it's Intel.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Purely sarcastic, with a dash of seriousness. You should never put the user into a box they can't get out of. Doesn't have to be easy, just has to be secure. But treating the user like they're a malicious entity with respect to their own property is basically Trusted Computing come to fruition. This is just taking it one step up from cellphones.

And, uh, any word on what CPU this thing is running? I find those numbers hard to believe if it's Intel.
There's a built-in way to root the device for power users.

There are many intel based systems that eek out that type of battery life. Take the Macbook Air (C2D) for example, the UL30Vt or some netbooks.

The OS is likely tuned very well for battery life.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-12-07 at 21:30.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Capt'n Corrupt,
riight. How much is the most important question here.
How much money? These are development systems, though I fully expect the cost of ChromeOS notebooks to be lower than typical notebooks.

Hahaha.. Look at the tags for this thread. I knew that this computing concept wouldn't be popular around these parts. I think I may be in the wrong place.

There's a built-in way to root the device for power users.
That would conflict with their statement of "no root," though it makes me wonder if that's only for the Cr48 or as a whole (I suspect that's the case, and 3rd parties will force you into root mode.)

Hahaha.. Look at the tags for this thread. I knew that this computing concept wouldn't be popular around these parts. I think I may be in the wrong place.
Well, it's not exactly a friendly place for systems that attempt to shovel control and software off onto other systems you can't control

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Chrome OS is an appliance and like many appliances, it's not intended to be opened, just used. The tradeoff you generally make for simplicity is control.

Sure you can buy wire and transformers, acquire cinderblocks and metal grating and make a stove that you have 100% control over. But most people don't do that, they use a pre-packaged unit built by Samsung or Maytag that does its job well with little headache.

This is no different and will revolutionize the way that computers are used.

Tags
awesome sauce, chrome os, chromebook, go away, long and boring, oh yeah!, quite enough, talking2myself, webgl, yaaaaaaaaaaawwn