Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
$550 actually, and it's served me well. I wouldn't give it up for any other phone on the market at this point, despite Nokia's poor behavior.

Not to say I wouldn't buy from anyone else, but I have no interest in buying into Android, Symbian, or any of the control freak OSes :/
The problem with that description of other OS's is that it's ironic. Nokia has been holding an even tighter clenched anus with regards to holding in their Maemo OS. MeeGo is another story, THANK YOU to everyone involved. I sincerely feel as if, had it not been for Intel, perhaps Nokia would have simply continued what they were doing so far and following their trend of speaking up a good game about open-source and letting the customer have control, all while acting counter to that by withholding an enormous amount of source code and continuing to refuse to communicate with the community of customers, developers and hobbyists alike.

I can't say iOS is any better but by contrast, Android has seemed like the best of the bunch with far less closed source in Android than Maemo has ever had AND they listened to everybody that called for untying their Google closed-source proprietary applications from the operating system firmware images so that you can have a far more lighter OS and far, FAR more updates and bug fixes to the individual applications without waiting for a whole new operating system update (the way Nokia has decided to go with Maemo so far, pathetically).

I hold high hopes for MeeGo, but it's quite likely to be the last opportunity Nokia may ever get from me if they fail to produce something that fails to hold my interest in something unlocked, open-sourced and unencumbered. Maemo was sold to me that way and fell far short of my expectations--and likely far short of many of the people that had bought into it before, too, seeing as how a lot of them aren't here anymore.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
whats the problem. nokia have not done much for this device before. All the good stuff comes the community so who cares what nokia does. Get a beer and hack away...
I'm sorry, but.. are you from the past and missed the conversations that went on in the meantime?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I sincerely feel as if, had it not been for Intel, perhaps Nokia would have simply continued what they were doing so far and following their trend of speaking up a good game about open-source and letting the customer have control
Then you're not going to like Harmattan either. But then again, every post from you is trolling, so, whatever

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
y not bother nokia with continue supporting n900 n get us flash 10 n newest ovi maps we deserve that i just send them two mails now lets all send them our complains again n again till they respond to us we cants just give up we r maemos n n900 holders one of best mobile in world we deserve best

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
whats the problem. nokia have not done much for this device before. All the good stuff comes the community so who cares what nokia does. Get a beer and hack away...
It comes from both the community and developers but we now know the latter appear to be discouraged from developing their apps for meamo by Nokia. So much for the "develope away on meamo using QT as your apps will then work on Meego" comments from just a few months ago?

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Then you're not going to like Harmattan either. But then again, every post from you is trolling, so, whatever
Harmattan? Is that still coming? Why do I get the sense that it's ironic of you to call my posts trolling?

Originally Posted by heartbreakdoctor View Post
y not bother nokia with continue supporting n900 n get us flash 10 n newest ovi maps we deserve that i just send them two mails now lets all send them our complains again n again till they respond to us we cants just give up we r maemos n n900 holders one of best mobile in world we deserve best
It's comments like these that are truly stupid. Same for "We should totally get our moneyz back man."

Get over it, you paid for a (mostly) open source Linux phone, that's what you got. You didn't pay hundreds for minor firmware updates. Love my N900, even though Hildon's graphical performance is terrible (almost makes or breaks a device for me). I saw the phone, thought "That would be cool", so I bought it. We don't deserve flash 10 just because it was demoed on the N900 or just because Froyo and Gingerbread have it. We don't deserve free or discounted N9s, that's just effing stupid.

We do deserve Ovi Maps 3 with voice nav, I'll give you that much.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Incredibly awesome move on the n900 by Nokia. Market it as the platform of the future for nerdy tech enthusiasts. Then kill the project and piss of those very same tech enthusiasts. Launch a new platform and expect the people you just screwed to go out and buy your product again.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Clubberlang For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
So much for the "develope away on meamo using QT as your apps will then work on Meego" comments from just a few months ago?
How does that not still apply?

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
It's comments like these that are truly stupid. Same for "We should totally get our moneyz back man."

Get over it, you paid for a (mostly) open source Linux phone, that's what you got. You didn't pay hundreds for minor firmware updates. Love my N900, even though Hildon's graphical performance is terrible (almost makes or breaks a device for me). I saw the phone, thought "That would be cool", so I bought it. We don't deserve flash 10 just because it was demoed on the N900 or just because Froyo and Gingerbread have it. We don't deserve free or discounted N9s, that's just effing stupid.

We do deserve Ovi Maps 3 with voice nav, I'll give you that much.
I disagreed with a lot of what you said but then felt like I ran into a brick wall of profound CONFOUNDED irony at your last sentence. I mean--what makes you feel that you're obligated to Ovi Maps 3, if your argument was that you're not obligated to security, usability and bug fixes for the operating system you purchased with the device?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest