Notices

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Its not there yet, but definitely looks like possible & usable feature -> I have opened a new feature request ticket for this.
Joy! I would so love this feature. I do miss that from my old Magelan. Btw, got the dev env setup, but got distracted by a resetting bug on my device. Should be able to get the tile stuff up in the next week or two I hope!

A feature like this was infuriating when I was using TangoGPS on the Neo FreeRunner.
Get outta town! You had a FR too!? Small world. I have a GTA02v5 sitting on a shelf right now collecting dust. I keep meaning to bring it into work to flash it with the latest qtmoko (they just release v30 this week), but I keep forgetting it. (I don't have a windows box at home anymore, and the linux tools for FR never worked right for me...) I hear it's almost working as a reliable phone now... But then I heard that from some people the whole time, and mine was never good at keeping a GSM signal, yet alone handling calls or text. :P

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
There actually a CSV file that does this since a few versions back:
/opt/modrana/data/directions_filter.csv
Its content is like this:
Code:
St.;Street
Dr.;Drive
Peakway;Parkway
peakway;parkway
Basically just a target and substitute, separated by semicolon, one pair per line. You can just edit this file and add your own lines for now, but I guess that doing this from the GUI should be quite easy to add.
NOTE:
I don't really know how the package manager handles installed files, that were user modified, so I'll advice to backup your changes to this files in case it is overwritten by the next version.
I'm pretty sure it just overwrites things, unless the file has been specially marked in the distribution. One way to handle that problem would be to auto-merge it with a similar file in the user's home directory; then the one in /home/user could be used for personal localizations.

Also, EVERYBODY:
Tell me which substitution pairs should I add to the default set !
Seems like nobody has responded to this request. Here are a few I added today ("Pde" is pretty unusual to me, but I see it on street signs):

Code:
Ave;Avenue
Cir;Circle
Hts;Heights
Hwy;Highway
Ln;Lane
Pde;Parade
Pkwy;Parkway
Pl;Place
Plz;Plaza
Rd;Road
Sq;Square
Tce;Terrace
Trk;Track
Wy;Way
Of course, none of these solve the "Turn left on Street Andrews Street" problem; I'm not sure how that could be handled without true natural-language processing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkuenning For This Useful Post:
OK, I'll investigate this. But I suspect this behaviour might be at least partially caused by a OS level flaw, that causes the partition where MyDocs reside to become read-only (this can only be fixed by rebooting the device or by activating and deactivating the mass-storage mode).
I can't really do much about this.
This for sure is not the case in my prob. Just upgraded to the latest version and the problem persists.

MyDocs partition is ext3 formatted and it's still mounted rw, just checked I can write and delete to/from it... But the problems still persist, try a batch download, now on a really fast 1MB connection, after about 500 hundred tiles I just get a shitload of:
Code:
exception in get tiles thread:
unable to open database file
It could be:
Other factor contributing to could be the old, quirky, non-thread-safe sqlite database version, that is shipped with Python 2.5 on Maemo. Well, I can try to do something about this - assure only one thread accesses the database at a time, try to restart the database connection on fatal errors, etc.
But it wasn't a problem with much older versions of modrana, could let it run for hours downloading stuff, but come to think of it this might have been before the sqlite stuff...

Will try to play with the number of threads setting now, to see if it makes a diff...

BTW, the new version is MUCH slower in loading the individual tiles for display, must be doing some caching or what-have-you, but now there is a noticeable lag, and the "Loading..." text showed for about a second or so, with every tile upon first display, then when it's redisplayed, i.e. zoomed out and back in, it's instantaneous, but it used to be instantaneous before...

So, the number of download threads doesn't make a difference, in fact it seems to be buggy still:

I set it to 5 - the minimum...

The log then shows:
[code[Batch tile dl working... (threads: 9) pending 86342, done: 4563[/code]

WFT, why is it 9?

At 4563 it got stuck for a LONG time, and then right away:
Code:
exception in get tiles thread:
database is locked
Batch tile dl woking... (threads: 9) pending: 85657, done: 4570
sqlite storage worker -> exception during mass db commit:
database is locked
and so on, and so forth.

The partition is writeable. In fact modrana freezes, so to speak, the stop download button has no effect, has to be killed, if restarted the download will work again for a while and then get stuck again...

Hmmm... very interesting. Could it be that the sqlite db has some internal errors and that's what is messing up the download. Though the log is not reporting any...

Anyhow, I backed up the .maps folder, then created a new empty one, and am now downloading maps for a 80 km area around a point.

It's been going on without errors for some time now, now at 39 thousand out of 360 thou...

Originally Posted by gkuenning View Post
I'm pretty sure it just overwrites things, unless the file has been specially marked in the distribution. One way to handle that problem would be to auto-merge it with a similar file in the user's home directory; then the one in /home/user could be used for personal localizations.

Seems like nobody has responded to this request. Here are a few I added today ("Pde" is pretty unusual to me, but I see it on street signs):

Code:
Ave;Avenue
Cir;Circle
Hts;Heights
Hwy;Highway
Ln;Lane
Pde;Parade
Pkwy;Parkway
Pl;Place
Plz;Plaza
Rd;Road
Sq;Square
Tce;Terrace
Trk;Track
Wy;Way
Of course, none of these solve the "Turn left on Street Andrews Street" problem; I'm not sure how that could be handled without true natural-language processing.
Here are some others:
Code:
Aly;Alley
Blvd;Boulevard
Crt;Court
Ct;Court
Expy;Expressway
Fwy;Freeway
Trl;Trail
Tunl;Tunnel
Tpke;Turnpike
Modrana is now my favorite ever mapping app for N900! One question: Will there ever be support for skins? The default look seems rather cartoony to me, and I would like to try making another theme. Other than this, and the current lack of hardware acceleration, it is perfect!

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Here are some others:
Code:
Aly;Alley
Blvd;Boulevard
Crt;Court
Ct;Court
Expy;Expressway
Fwy;Freeway
Trl;Trail
Tunl;Tunnel
Tpke;Turnpike
You need to be careful with these, they do not work as expected, which relates to the previous post also. Basically modrana just does a plain substitution, not whole words. I.e. if you have
Code:
St;Street
this is wrong as then for instance "Park Street" will be read as "Park Street reet"
so maybe it should be:
Code:
St ;Street

The Following User Says Thank You to jj0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jj0 View Post
You need to be careful with these, they do not work as expected, which relates to the previous post also. Basically modrana just does a plain substitution, not whole words. I.e. if you have
Code:
St;Street
this is wrong as then for instance "Park Street" will be read as "Park Street reet"
so maybe it should be:
Code:
St ;Street
True, although none of the ones I posted are themselves parts of words.

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Also, there might be some prob in navigating tags, as for the past couple of days, driving around I've had modrana say:

In XXX meters turn right on XXX Street reet slash emphasis

I.e. the "Street reet" part was because of the St; substitution, but pronouncing the "slash emphasis" seems like it's reading a </emphasis> tag...

It doesn't do it all the time though, so not sure if only when it's ending in "Street"...

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps