Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i dont think this will happen until maemo gets completely revamped.
but i guess in this case its easier to start completely over than fix whats broken, hence meego... i hope meego will feature a fluid UI and smooth video-recording.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Did you read back and try my tracker/indexer disabling? In my case, N900 delivered smooth recording on eMMC with tracker off.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Did you read back and try my tracker/indexer disabling? In my case, N900 delivered smooth recording on eMMC with tracker off.
Could you please write a super small tutorial? the Tracker tool has A LOT of options, which ones to disable and what to leave on?

The Following User Says Thank You to dof250 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I second this

Disable indexing and watching, reboot.
Shoot video.

--

In theory, it's the watching that triggers index and thumbnailing whan shooting, but indexing could kick in, too. Also, due to memory fragmentation bug, high uptime (48h is "high") can hit performance. Make sure it's fresh.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

That would be correct for a raw sensor dump - it never leaves the camera, as it actively works differently in video and camera mode. It delivers a partially compressed stream in whatever mode that is, otherwise there would be no HD cameras, at 250M/s the data is too much for any portable storage system (even a SSD).
SSD connected to PCI-e allready has speeds of up to 650 MB a second. so you should leave that storage device out of the picture here.

In theory, it's the watching that triggers index and thumbnailing whan shooting, but indexing could kick in, too. Also, due to memory fragmentation bug, high uptime (48h is "high") can hit performance. Make sure it's fresh.
I was reading about the fragmentation problem, but where do you read it was 48hrs exactly? I know the N900 becomes slow with high uptime but didn't know there was a number

Originally Posted by JorgeFX View Post
I was reading about the fragmentation problem, but where do you read it was 48hrs exactly? I know the N900 becomes slow with high uptime but didn't know there was a number
There is a lengthy discussion in bugs.maem.org, a bug about audio chopping and high cpu usage after unlocking. I'm on the road now, so it's tedious and expensive, but if you can't find it I'll link later tonight (my timezone).

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
I've understood that the IVA2 component of the omap3 CPU is entirely undocumented, and that there are some third parties which have been supplied documentation on it, and have created an enhanced decoder capable of 720p decode, and is selling it at enormously high cost.
actually, this might be sufficiently proper documentation:
http://focus.ti.com/dsp/docs/dspsupp...ocCategoryId=6
for example:
http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/spru732j (C64x+ DSP CPU and Instruction Set Reference Guide)

or it may as well not be sufficient.

im not sure what IVA2 represents... if its software or hardware based?
maybe its TI's name for a software suite for the C64+ DSP?
maybe its standalone silicon in the SoC?

personally i think IVA2 mostly reffers to TI's software that comes bundled with the C64+ DSP - everything ranging from compilers/SDK's to pre-built codecs (coded with those SDK's).
but like u said - it seems quite undocumented, unless the link above provides some info reffering to the IVA2.

im still investigating if its worth undertaking the task to create a clean "Camera OS" for the N900, and code some lightweight capture codecs...
Im not even sure that i can learn all relevant documents, since its so much.

...about undertaking the task to coding a new codec:

* the DSP have very limited cache resources and it cant process a complete 1280x720 picture in one sweep (of course).
* if regular RAM is used instead - it will hog the BUS.

therefore, i think the best approach is to compress each frame - segment by segment (which will cause blockiness), and save them one by one to RAM... writing to the eMMC will have to wait until the video is finished.
Using this approach, will put a time-limit on how long the recorded videos can become, but it will atleast provide plenty of resources/speed for capturing in HQ and high fps.

...still i know too little to make qualified judgements - so all of the above should be taken with a grain of salt... we'll see if i manage to learn enough to undertake this task.

Last edited by S0urcerr0r; 2010-12-10 at 07:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post: