Active Topics

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
If Android is basically a Java VM running on a Linux kernel, is it not plausible to emulate the Android API on the N900? Now THAT would really be amusing.

As I understand it the ARM chips usually have hardware assisted Java anyway, even if the OS does not support it (aka Windows Slowbile)
I'd intended to try seriously digging into how plausible this is, but I'm just too damn busy.

As I understand it, the Android stack has two main pieces: a Linux foundation and the Dalvik JVM on top.

It seems like it should be possible to stitch the Java piece into the Maemo Linux environment for low-level things like memory allocation as well as into the Maemo windowing environment for higher-level things.

My fantasy here would be to run the *Android* Gmail application and have it flash up Maemo-style notifications.

Probably doable, but not by me, right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt917 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cobalt917 View Post
I'd intended to try seriously digging into how plausible this is, but I'm just too damn busy.

As I understand it, the Android stack has two main pieces: a Linux foundation and the Dalvik JVM on top.

It seems like it should be possible to stitch the Java piece into the Maemo Linux environment for low-level things like memory allocation as well as into the Maemo windowing environment for higher-level things.

My fantasy here would be to run the *Android* Gmail application and have it flash up Maemo-style notifications.

Probably doable, but not by me, right now.

I would be interested in running android Gmail and Gcalendar apps. At least for fun

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I can honestly think of nothing worse than saddling the n900 with Android. Except maybe windows mobile.

The cancel order button is located at the bottom of most order pages.
I definitely want maemo. What I meant to say if that the n900 will probably get better buy-in if it can run android apps side by side. Look at the number of android phones coming out this year. Just as garnet vm is nice for the palm apps already available, being able to run android alongside maemo can only be a plus.

The other thing I was trying to say is that I'm trying to develop some software that uses a magnetometer, better off going with an android phone if I want a larger user base or if I don't feel like putting together my own HW.

FWIW if there's an android phone with the right screen resolution, who wants to place bets it can run maemo?

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Interesting thought, has anyone worked out what the GPS chipset is yet?

Also, someone should grep the latest kernel diff and see if there's mention of a compass. Set this topic to rest one way or the other.
To speculate, if the HW was there but the SW was buggy, support might not be in the first rev. They only have to release the code when the binary is released. I don't know if this is something Nokia would do or not.

As far as the defconfig

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...config;hb=HEAD

Unless there is somewhere better?

I am just reading not editing...
USB_HID is enabled "Say Y here if you want full HID support to connect USB keyboards, mice, joysticks, graphic tablets, or any other HID based devices to your computer via USB, as well as Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) and monitor control devices." ... ?

CONFIG_USB_MUSB_OTG=y

worth looking closer than I have.

As far as magnetometers / digital compass, the only evidence I have of any driver at all is the one in the android tree, akm8976 . AFAIK it was never pushed upstream.
It's a tad hard to search because a lot of drivers are simply "adds support for this chip" which really doesn't say a lot. The akm8976 driver was put in the i2c directory instead of the hwmon directory where <some of> the accelerometers are.

Also if your device has a uart interface I suppose you might not bother with a device driver.

But yes, hope springs eternal. ;P I'm being ridiculously silly at this point but it's vaguely entertaining.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I just saw this post and recalled a review I saw on Squidoo. Looks like their unit had compass? Watch the youtube 1:20 segment in this link.

http://www.squidoo.com/Nokia-N900#module108372891

That looked like compass??? I tried that on my N900 but nothing worked

it is pr 1.1 no
use GPSJinni

Last edited by couldvbb; 2010-12-10 at 15:04.