Active Topics

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I have a feeling that you are mixing and messing things up really badly now. do you mean maemo as maemo running in N900 or what?
The thread is about Maemo 5 and so no confusion.

just as I suspected. step 4/5 became iPhone as soon as you departed reality....
I have no idea what this sentence means. I don't read every forum post so you may be making some reference to something said in another thread.

Let's follow the logic on each:

a) Flash 10.1. If MeeGo didn't exist, don't you think Maemo 5 would have had Flash 10.1? Why would Nokia / Adobe support a dead platform?

b) Ovi Maps 3.x. For the sake of argument, let's say QT is write once, run everywhere. Why would it not then appear on the N900? Because it makes no sense to support a future less platform.

(which feature was promised and which was reasonable expectations from public beta product?)
There's a difference between releasing a product that was in beta and customers expecting rough edges versus expecting people to buy into a platform with no future.

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-12-10 at 17:08. Reason: brevity

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is not to excuse Nokia in any way, but in the past few years the cell phone slash mobile computer business has changed rapidly, to put it mildly. Some companies were in a great position (lacking legacy) to capitalize on some of those changes (Apple, Google). Nokia was hampered by, ironically, its past successes.

With benefit of hindsight it's easy to look back in time (as I often do) and say "Crap, Nokia should have done this or that", particularly with Maemo. They didn't. So they have made some hasty and even counterproductive moves especially in the last two years, to try to correct mistakes.

The vision was right. The execution was off. So, the guy ultimately responsible was fired and his replacement is already showing some good decisions (hardware and software platform consolidation, partnerships, staffing, etc).

Knowing these things, everyone who isn't simply a rank troll should be mature enough to move forward, with or without Nokia.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This is not to excuse Nokia in any way, but in the past few years the cell phone slash mobile computer business has changed rapidly, to put it mildly. Some companies were in a great position (lacking legacy) to capitalize on some of those changes (Apple, Google). Nokia was hampered by, ironically, its past successes.

With benefit of hindsight it's easy to look back in time (as I often do) and say "Crap, Nokia should have done this or that", particularly with Maemo. They didn't. So they have made some hasty and even counterproductive moves especially in the last two years, to try to correct mistakes.

The vision was right. The execution was off. So, the guy ultimately responsible was fired and his replacement is already showing some good decisions (hardware and software platform consolidation, partnerships, staffing, etc).

Knowing these things, everyone who isn't simply a rank troll should be mature enough to move forward, with or without Nokia.
You are absolutley right.

However, Nokia is not the spoiled 9yr old down the street who can just drop his shiny new toy down on the grass 5 minutes after his dad bought it for him.

The n900 is still a Nokia. If nokia decided to go somewhere else(meego) while dropping its current 'toy'(maemo) we are not suppose to suffer from it.
All i want to say is that Nokia bluntly broke the ethic code of this industry(by not providing the service that is offered for its other models).
If you want to go some other direction, fine. But clean up after yourself!

I am perfectly happy with my device as i am accepting its flaws, but i'm aware of their existence and cause(nokia).

Last edited by ironm8; 2010-12-10 at 18:01. Reason: dead?! dad! lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
If you want to go some other direction, fine. But clean up after yourself!
Philosophically I agree.

From a practical standpoint, I have wasted enough time preaching that message. If you only knew how much effort I put into that as a Nokia employee...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I am worry about this attitude:
1] Tell us what you want : http://maemo.nokia.com/survey/questi...l-information/
2] Cost too much, buy the next phone...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flexmat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flexmat View Post
2] Cost too much, buy the next phone...
how do you value(as quantity) support?

EDIT: thank you for the survey link.

Last edited by ironm8; 2010-12-10 at 18:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
I don't care about Future support from Nokia for Maemo 5 b/c its the past and i knew what i was buying in to.
But i promise one thing i will not commit to buying N9/MeeGo unless Nokia commit to OS updates like MeeGo 1.2, 1.3 for it.
Its not hard for them to do they committed to big updates and complete overhaul of UI for Symbian^3 devices.
Maybe its a new Nokia we are seeing with the new regime.

how do you value(as quantity) support?
I think that the support can be stop when all things are in 1.0 state.
Actually, ovi is still in beta.;-)

Last edited by flexmat; 2010-12-10 at 19:54.

Originally Posted by flexmat View Post
I think that the support can be stop when all things are in 1.0 state.
Actually, ovi is still in beta.;-)

HAHAHAHA, thats funny, especialy when you look at MEEGO 1.1

HAHAHAHA, thats funny, especialy when you look at MEEGO 1.1
I cannot understand why MeeGo elected to go with production release numbers at this point. Provides the wrong impression.

With that said, I'm running MeeGo 1.1 on a Lenovo ideapad and am amazed at what I can do. It's now become my default home platform.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest