Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
This is interesting... Clockwork recovery tool for the Galaxy Tab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBZMAGE6O4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQzVV...eature=related

It seems that you can restore from a number of different Tab images! Very nifty.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here's the BBC iPlayer on the Galaxy Tab! Looks really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayzoR4HDKU

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Gameloft has released 3 new games for Android!
http://androidandme.com/2010/12/game...ameloft-my-15/

I'm not sure which devices these games support, but they look quite good!

Brother In Arms -- a war sim with vehicles
Fishing Kings -- not my cup, but could be fun
Lets Golf 2 -- golf game, looks great!

EDIT: It seems that they are generally available! Win.
BAH! Screw all those... I'm eagerly awaiting "Cut the Rope" to come to Android, dammit!

Originally Posted by harrivii View Post
I tested transferring my contacts from N900 to Galaxy Tab. In N900 there is an option to export all contacts as vCards (versions 2.1 and 3.0). You must be viewing the list of all contacts when this option shows in the menu. Export asks for a folder name and saves each contact as a separate vCard file in that folder. The files included all my contact fields (all phone numbers, regular an email adress fields etc.).

In the next step I copied all vCard files to my MacBook Pro. Then I imported them in Apple Address Book by selecting them all and opening in Address Book. From Address Book it is possible to export all contacts as a single file.

The last step was to import that one file to Google Contacts. Now I finally had all my contacts transferred from N900 to my Galaxy Tab.
Although it's not a useful solution for the intended recipient, and probably not useful for most of the people on this board (not a lot of Macs here), it might give more ideas to people on other platforms on how to maybe get that much closer to getting it done. I love you.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This is interesting... Clockwork recovery tool for the Galaxy Tab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBZMAGE6O4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQzVV...eature=related

It seems that you can restore from a number of different Tab images! Very nifty.
That's what I've been doing on my Droid all along. I toldja. Although, the Tab version hasn't been released yet--it's still in beta and not recommended quite yet.

Originally Posted by mikegre View Post
How about using your idea the other way... by having the Tab be the mothership and having a small device to use as a cellphone handset. This presupposes that here in the States Samsung will get a cellphone interface onto the Tab. of course. And I know you can buy a bluetooth ear dongle thingy but that sort of destroys the coolness factor, dontcha think?
That's what I do. I try not to use my Droid much (mostly as a phone) and mainly use my Galaxy Tab as my Android tablet while my Droid saves battery life to function mainly as my communication device.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
The one thing that concerned me was the keyboard. I am very used to n900 and blackberry and can type pretty rapidly on them. With the few seconds I spent with the Tab I was kind of struggling. Most concerning of all was typing symbols. With the N900 virtually all symbols are available by pressing either alt or shift. So even if I have to type a symbol (which I often do) it does not really slow me down. With the Tab it looked like that could be an issue. Typing on screen as well could also be much slower than on the N900 keyboard. I am hoping I can adjust. Will also try out swype to see how fast that is.
That's odd. By DEFAULT the Tab has and uses Swype and it's FAAAAAAR from hard to use and it does a LOT of typing for me VERY VERY fast. Also--in case you want to get arrow keys, be sure to swipe from the bottom-left S-swype logo to the SYM key... it switches to the cursor keys mode (arrows, home, end, page up, page down, etc.). Generally, Swype has made my life worth living. If someone switch the keyboard over to the Samsung keyboard (which I don't like), you can easily switch it back to Swype by holding down your finger on the gear key then select Swype.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Simple question: has the Samsung Galaxy S the same software and - more or less - oomph than the Tab? I have the latter as you know, but I've never handled the former. I prefer an opinion from someone who used both than a internet based features comparison. Thanks.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's odd. By DEFAULT the Tab has and uses Swype and it's FAAAAAAR from hard to use and it does a LOT of typing for me VERY VERY fast. Also--in case you want to get arrow keys, be sure to swipe from the bottom-left S-swype logo to the SYM key... it switches to the cursor keys mode (arrows, home, end, page up, page down, etc.). Generally, Swype has made my life worth living. If someone switch the keyboard over to the Samsung keyboard (which I don't like), you can easily switch it back to Swype by holding down your finger on the gear key then select Swype.
I'm pretty sure the default is actually the other way round: Samsung's own keyboard is the default but you can switch to Swype as you describe or by press & hold on any input field and select 'input method'.

Thanks for the bit about the arrow keys: I thought I had read the documentation but must have skipped the bit about the editing keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Looked like I was going to get the Tab yesterday. Drove all the way to the Dixons to get it at the relatively reasonable price of £449 (they have wifi only ipads for that price) but got to the store and found out there is a big sale on Boxing Day, Staff don't know the details but decided to wait just in case the Tab price would be reduced. My enthusiasm was also curbed on the way to the store by the revelation from the wife that she wants the Tab to be for the household (wife, man and child) rather than just for me. I was originally planning to get one for her birthday back in October but when it came and passed and the Tab was still not out I was hoping she would have forgotten all about it and moved on.

By the way those in the UK looking for the best price it is now £419 at HMV Online. Not sure it can get much lower than this so if you bulked at the £530 price and were waiting for things to get better then now may be the time. I was going to get it for more at Dixons because I have over £150 of Dixon's vouchers left over.

Last edited by etuoyo; 2010-12-13 at 09:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Has anyone actually gone out to getting one of these? 159 pages later it seems we're still just discussing it based on what we see on YouTube!

I've had some downtime with this device, but I'm not sure what might be biggest questions you guys might have.

It's basically the Android 2.2 experience on a bigger screen with modified calendar and mail apps. The browser's a bit jerky, but the thing plays video files thrown at it quite nicely. But again, only stuff that works for most Android 2.2 devices works here.

The iPad is a more esthetic experience IMO, but with the TAB you can actually get stuff done, if you're into mobile version websites and mobile version apps of common services etc. Out of the two I would go with the TAB, since its more "future proof" as it could support 2.3->> versions of Android.

All in all, however, both the iPad and the Galaxy TAB feel a bit immature, as they offer an experience we all know from Android and iOS smartphones, only on a larger screen. There's really no innovation (IMO) here, just the luxury of a larger screen.

That's why my money's on a MeeGo tablet and my hopes are on winning a Galaxy TAB in a raffle at where I work

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cjp; 2010-12-13 at 09:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:

That's what I do. I try not to use my Droid much (mostly as a phone) and mainly use my Galaxy Tab as my Android tablet while my Droid saves battery life to function mainly as my communication device.
Could you ellaborate on that? Maybe you may have a solution for me. I want to carry a cheap phone with me as well as the Tab. I already have unlimited internet access on my current phone contract. Want to just take out my sim, slot it in the Tab and use ny unlimited internet there. But I want to use the cheap phone (or the N900 it seems now that the wife has ruled that the Tab is not just for me) to receive my calls. Is there a way to get the phone to receive the calls with the sim card being in the Tab and not the phone?

Are you sure it is set to Swype? Played with the Tab at a different store yesterday and it was set to normal keyboard I think. Unless it was set to swype but you can still type on the swype keyboard. To be honest I completely forgot about trying swype. Will definitely try it out when I get the Tab. I lost a bit of interest in it because i read there is a learning curve and I think I heard somewhere that it is not needed on a device with such a big screen.

Your Motorola has a hardware keyboard doesn't it? Would you say you are faster on that or on the Tab using swype? If (as seems likely now) I will be keeping the N900 I want to decide which I will be using to take notes. On that point what would you say is the king of Android note taking apps? My trawling the web has produced Noite Everything as probably most suitable for me. I have about 300 Tomboy notes (and counting) and need an app that I can easily find notes just by entering key words. Note Everything seems to have that and the bonus of being able to sync with google docs. A bit disappointed that the N900 has a Tomboy note app (Conboy) and Android does not. There is Tomdroid but it can only view notes and not edit. So if I am going to be using the Tab for note taking I need to copy and paste all my notes and reformat because there is no way to export Tomboy notes without losing formatting (or at least I have not yet found any way to do so).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Swype is very easy to learn, all you really have to "remember" about it is that to get two consecutive letters that are the same, you must do a slight zig-zag on top of the letter without raising your finger.

However, typing on a HW keyboard is always faster than on any touch-screen using any method.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=etuoyo;895075]
Originally Posted by harrivii View Post

I don't have a Mac so unfortunately I can't use that solution.
I have both the N900 and Tab and I sync my contacts using outlook on both the tab and N900 and works well. This should work for you as you use windows.

The tab comes with a wired headset as you had confirmed previosly

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doksng For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy