Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
oh pleeze, my phone came with a chess app, (ok I got it used) I am pretty sure it was there preloaded, so I mean that app and no I can't distinguish between the pieces for instance a bishop and a pawn look almost exactly the same. I am not the first person who has pointed out the weakness of chess here and I just was making the point that many things are half baked. no take back move? close app by minimizing and then repeatedly trying to hit the little x? common...and you found my post offensive? wow you must be touchy.
I've just had a little play with the pre-loaded chess app, the bishop and pawn look nothing alike, the take back move button is clearly visible (not explicitly labeled, but easy enough to work out which one it is). I can't really comment on the quality of the Chess AI because I suck at chess, but it did beat me on easy. For a free app included with the phone it seems decent.

Maybe you were playing one of the other chess apps from the repositories, in which case you can't criticise Nokia for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So we're arguing about chess apps now? Impressive.
Shortage of steam for original thread motivator.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Hrw View Post
Have you read my bug report at all? I selected few devices which were able to make video calls between them. N900 was not able to video chat with them. Where is a problem? For me on N900 side. And is it Skype.com or Nokia.com problem is thing to decide for Nokia.com side as they provide me software with "you can video chat on skype now". The only answer was "tell all your contacts to upgrade to latest win32 version nevermind what kind of device or OS they are using".
Sure I have read that bug report it is thin and it looks outdated. Hence no credibility is given to your dramatic statement of "nokia finishes maemo support".

Actually you may have forgotten to tell your contacts that apart from the latest client software they need a camera too. Because from PR1.2 N900 Skype never failed to work with video calls to Win32 Skype video enabled clients.
Both over wifi and 3G.

Apple OSX vs N900 now works too (Skype jumped recently from the "as old as the street" 2.8 version to 5.0 beta).

Without touching the N900 Skype client.

I don't expect to ever hear that Skype has fixed this incompatibility under pressure of Nokia but anyway they have fixed it (and updated the OSX version to the same Skype engine as Windows and Maemo?)

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I can't really comment on the quality of the Chess AI because I suck at chess, but it did beat me on easy.
It's not too bad, the engine is GNU chess, and there was even a bug filed asking for it to be made easier :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Holy Cow!

I've been away for a few days and here is another monumental whine thread!

I'll chime in with my support story......

My lady friend tried a HTC Desire....

It had trouble hooking to wifi and staying connected....

After seeking support on the forums and Telus (service provider) I called HTC support and they informed me that the older product couldn't support mixed mode wifi, "N" in particular, so they told me to turn off "N" or buy a new router and try that, or to get a Desire or something newer because "we have less problems with them!" He said there were still no guarantees that fix the issue I was having with my 8 month old mixed mode router.

Odd, never had a hint of a problem with any other phone on my wireless. Never had a more pathetic product!

LOOK! Now I'm a whiner Too!!!

In my opinion forums, like this, are the best support you'll find.
It's too bad we have to see them contaminated with endless *****ing.

This thread became more of personal fights. I don't know whether few people here trying to support NOKIA or N900. Everyone agree N900 is a great device, no doubt.

The question is " how was NOKIA's support for their own device:"

So if NOKIA has some problem we cannot express just because the they have released a good device? who ever says it is not NOKIA responsibility or user should have searched before buying, they won't take the new feature if NOKIA releases any for the N900.

I don't understand, i buy an device and I express my thoughts and opinions about the device and some people here say " hey don't talk anything about NOKIA even if they do crappy things".

Also please read the following link. NOKIA committed to release voice navigation for N900 but they didn't. They take ages to approve a software on OVI and we should not talk about it ?

http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi...nd-nokia-n900/

From the above link - This is just an example for NOKIA's ignorance of N900.

" This is backed by what the Executive Vice President of Nokia, Anssi Vanjoki, had to say at yesterday’s launch event. Vanjoki pointed out that “in later dates we will also be increasing the number of support for this [sic] and certainly moving forward it will also support Maemo”

The Following User Says Thank You to rrdbala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Chess application:

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
IAlso please read the following link. NOKIA committed to release voice navigation for N900 but they didn't. They take ages to approve a software on OVI and we should not talk about it ?

http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi...nd-nokia-n900/

From the above link - This is just an example for NOKIA's ignorance of N900.

" This is backed by what the Executive Vice President of Nokia, Anssi Vanjoki, had to say at yesterday’s launch event. Vanjoki pointed out that “in later dates we will also be increasing the number of support for this [sic] and certainly moving forward it will also support Maemo”
To me that quote just reads as Ovi Maps will be coming to Maemo, not a specific version of it. I'm disappointed that Ovi Maps on the N900 isn't as good as the version on Symbian-based Nokias, but you need a better source than that to prove Nokia actually promised voice navigation for the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
To me that quote just reads as Ovi Maps will be coming to Maemo, not a specific version of it. I'm disappointed that Ovi Maps on the N900 isn't as good as the version on Symbian-based Nokias, but you need a better source than that to prove Nokia actually promised voice navigation for the N900.
That's very lame fanboism.

Are you suggesting that OVI maps with navigation will come to maemo 4 devices?

Because there will certainly not be a version of maemo after maemo5.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
That's very lame fanboism.

Are you suggesting that OVI maps with navigation will come to maemo 4 devices?

Because there will certainly not be a version of maemo after maemo5.
It's not fanboism, just a careful reading of the quote. I'm certainly not suggesting voice navigation will be coming to Maemo 4. The quote says Ovi Maps (no specific version) will be coming to Maemo. And we got a version of Ovi Maps.

What'll help with the context is did, at the time of the quote (January 2010), the N900 already have a version of Ovi Maps? If it did, then I'll grant that it seems to imply it will be getting the new version like the other phones, if not then it just sounds like it will be getting a version of Ovi Maps.

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest