Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Not popular for consumers or for device manufacturers?

Not popular for consumers because of:
Brand Association:
Maemo = Nokia, Linux (what's that?)
Android = HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung, Google, Toshiba laptop!...

Not popular for device manufacturers because of:
Niche consumer market:
Maemo = Nokia, Linux (what's that?)
Android = HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung, Google, Toshiba laptop!...

So, the next question should be; which influenced which?
Android is more comparable to DangerOS than any Linux distro. I don't think Maemo influenced it at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD. For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Maemo 5 was never meant to be popular and mainstream, That was meant to be Maemo 6 but will now be MeeGo
So what exactly WAS the point of Maemo 5?

To piss off quite a few of those who bought N900 for its great potential, only to be slapped back to reality by Nokia? To make sure Maemos (and Nokias)reputation to most people would be ruined to a point where they wouldn't even think about getting the Maemo 6 phone? To show everyone there is absolutely no commercial support or even support from Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to Anarae For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Arab Emirates
Can someone define the difference between popularity of Mercedes Benz (Maemo) and Toyota (Android)?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Anarae View Post

To piss off quite a few of those who bought N900 for its great potential, only to be slapped back to reality by Nokia? To make sure Maemos (and Nokias)reputation to most people would be ruined to a point where they wouldn't even think about getting the Maemo 6 phone? To show everyone there is absolutely no commercial support or even support from Nokia?
Internally (?), Nokia had this '5 step program' in which they're trying to build and repackage an opensource platform (maemo) into something as pliable and usable as their Symbian platform for the masses. maemo5 was supposed to be the 4th iteration before this maemo worm transform into a fully grown butterfly that's supposed to be consumer friendly and media-darling worthy.

Why they let loose this unfinished (they said it themselves) product upon the masses outside of its intended niche (potential developers, *nix users and non-smartphone users in general) and how they keep spreading it on our eastern brethren (hongkong, india, viet/cambodia, etc) with this same strategy is beyond me.

Originally Posted by ayazpak View Post
Can someone define the difference between popularity of Mercedes Benz (Maemo) and Toyota (Android)?
No one can. That's failed logic from the get go.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Anarae View Post
The more I think about it... the more I have to think that Maemo was basically an internal project that was beta tested upon all that consumed their internet tablets - 770 through N900. Look at how the phone bits were "tacked on". Look at how easy it was to stop, restart, resume and repeat between each and every version of Maemo.

But the constant statement that "Maemo was never meant for mainstream" is very annoying. Typically, most well founded companies do not release pet projects. Apparently, Nokia did just that.

That's my take on it. And this comes from a person that's owned a 770, N810 and N900. Guess I played along with 3 out of 4 of their pet project steps.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The more I think about it... the more I have to think that Maemo was basically an internal project that was beta tested upon all that consumed their internet tablets - 770 through N900. Look at how the phone bits were "tacked on". Look at how easy it was to stop, restart, resume and repeat between each and every version of Maemo.

But the constant statement that "Maemo was never meant for mainstream" is very annoying. Typically, most well founded companies do not release pet projects. Apparently, Nokia did just that.

That's my take on it. And this comes from a person that's owned a 770, N810 and N900. Guess I played along with 3 out of 4 of their pet project steps.
Don't feel so bad, I'm sure Nokia didn't meant for the 770, N810, N900 as pet projects. Rather I believe it's a niche market strategy. And the payoff is the market exposure or awareness or whatever you want to call it. At least it give Linux/Maemo/Meego fans some awareness of Nokia brand - however, they should show more support otherwise the strategy backfires.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
because google wants our money. therefore, they provide service to their customers, as oppsed to nokia. -.-

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moscow
Nokia's phones are abandoned too quickly.

You buy cheap android phone with OS 1.6 and upgrade it to 2.2
You buy rather expensive N900 (N8, E61, whatever) and junk it looking at new shiny Nokia phones with newer OS version full of really good features.

Anyone want to exchange Android phone in good condition for my N900 in Russia, Moscow?

edit: I like linux. I use linux in my everyday life and feel bad with stock kernel. Gentoo > Ubuntu, and all that stuff. I like Maemo. Maemo's problem is Nokia. I don't like Nokia. The only thing Nokia is good at is cheaphones.

Hope Intel will create loads of Meego-based x86 mobile devices. ARM will fail with Nokia.

Last edited by lattenwald; 2010-12-14 at 08:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to lattenwald For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Devil's advocate here... it's a web page because I can use a web browser to get to it and it's embedded via SWFObject in a HTML or PHP page.

Sorry. I had to do it
Um, no. You can use a web browser to get RealPlayer video and to get a page full of nothing but plugins running--that doesn't make the plugin content web pages. The plugin content is sitting ON a web page, but the plugin media aren't the web page. Flash content isn't a web site and it's only as portable as Flash is. Considering how utterly abandoned the Maemo platform has been, you're increasingly unlikely to see web pages that host Flash content with the exception of your aforementioned (and utterly unwelcomed, in most cases--completely unnecessary, in all cases) Flash based advertisements.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by devu View Post
So how you call my flaemo project then. I am looking for good name so you could help me out .

From your respond above yea... fact I am living in London doesn't mean my English is good, My apology for that, work in progress.

Anyway... it's clear for me that you didn't get it right. What I was saying is not Flash itself as a peace of technology. No mater plug-in or not, you like it or not. its a pure fact that is a massive computer geek market they are hungry to enter mobile world as well. Doesn't matter what is your personal opinion about flash. Or my own.

In short, 3 million people keep talking over the web every single day. Steve Jobs is a **** and Android is an option. Power of publicity. If people are talking about something you wont to know what is this hype about. This is what helped Android to grow in popularity. Even if by the end of the day nobody is even using flash.

Is it more clear now?
If anything... this is overwhelmingly less lucent that your previous explanation. Can you elaborate in a more cogent fashion and try not to make silly analogies?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
beware!, it's a trap, maemo in denial